SIGforum
A Mike Tyson Compilation

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8820057764

March 19, 2020, 09:53 AM
BigSwede
A Mike Tyson Compilation
I forgot how ferocious he was in the 80's, amazing he didn't kill someone in the ring. It's 20 minutes, many of you have nothing better to do Smile

March 19, 2020, 10:13 AM
Prefontaine
I've seen this before on you tube. I will NEVER forget how ferocious he was. His opponents referred to his fists as bricks, as he hit that hard. Had he not had psychological issues or got help with them in his youth he would have easily been the GOAT.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
March 19, 2020, 10:16 AM
Pyker
He was a monster for sure, but that narrator sucks.
March 19, 2020, 10:17 AM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I've seen this before on you tube. I will NEVER forget how ferocious he was. His opponents referred to his fists as bricks, as he hit that hard. Had he not had psychological issues or got help with them in his youth he would have easily been the GOAT.

agree although i pretty much put him up there as the GOAT

Tyson fought like he was trying to kill somebody

would love to have seen him fight Ali -- both in their prime -- (of course that's a fantasy fight...)

that would have been the ultimate -- power vs finesse

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
March 19, 2020, 11:52 AM
SBrooks
Some people are just better than others at putting their entire body into a punch. I've been punched in the arm by some little skinny dudes that knocked me back a yard. It's a talent. Anyone can swing a punch, but skillfully timing it so all your strength and weight is behind that fist - devastating.

Appears as if Tyson could also take some punches, which is also critical.

He's a scary dude.

------------------
SBrooks
March 19, 2020, 01:10 PM
Oz_Shadow
Heavyweight pros hit hard and most any can knock out someone with a few good hits. In the interviews by pros that fought Tyson, they said he wasn't the hardest puncher. Hard yes, like most heavyweight pros, but he won by being extremely fast, accurate and relentless delivering those punches.
March 20, 2020, 06:36 AM
hberttmank
I remember seeing some of those fights back in the mid 80s, he was a bad mother fucker. In his prime I don't think anyone in history could have beat him.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
March 20, 2020, 11:35 AM
smschulz
I was really into boxing in the eighties.
Watched it a lot.
I saw him on his fourth fight and watched him climb.
He was a beast.
Maybe one of the most effective boxers ever.
March 20, 2020, 01:54 PM
cas
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
...but that narrator sucks.

Was that a real person or computer generated?

Looking back, Tyson fought a couple of big slow turds in some of those. lol

March 20, 2020, 03:23 PM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Looking back, Tyson fought a couple of big slow turds in some of those. lol

that's always the case ... not every fight is vs a 'contender' ... they all get some meatballs thrown in there

the OP got me chasing down the boxing rabbit hole and Ali fought some chumps too

it's part of the 'process' (or racket...) I suppose

against Tyson those chumps only last 15 secs though Big Grin

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
March 20, 2020, 05:01 PM
AirmanJeff
Pause that video at the 17:14 mark and look at his eyes before he smashes Ribalta. Just wild!
March 20, 2020, 05:56 PM
ChicagoSigMan
Looking at the various opponents, it reminds me of the world of Golf and Tiger Woods. Tiger brought physical fitness and strength into professional golf. Ive never followed boxing, but looking at this video, it seems that Tyson did the same thing for boxing.
March 21, 2020, 07:13 AM
Keystoner
Too bad that thumbnail is just click-bait. I would have paid to see him fight Butterbean.

Year V
March 21, 2020, 09:04 AM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Looking at the various opponents, it reminds me of the world of Golf and Tiger Woods. Tiger brought physical fitness and strength into professional golf. Ive never followed boxing, but looking at this video, it seems that Tyson did the same thing for boxing.

You don't think boxers were strong and physically fit before Tyson?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
March 22, 2020, 07:51 AM
ChicagoSigMan
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

You don't think boxers were strong and physically fit before Tyson?

I imagine many were, but looking at the video, the physiques of Tyson's opponents clearly improved over time. The first couple of guys look like they had regular dad bods while Tyson was ripped. Just reminded me of Tiger going up against guys like Craig Stadler.
March 28, 2020, 11:14 PM
VBVAGUY
I think one of Tyson's best fights was with Razor Ruddock. Ruddock was no slouch and was hitting Tyson several times that would knock out many heavyweights out there; yet Tyson showed he also had a great jaw and stamina. Tyson also hit Ruddock so hard many times to the body I believe I remember that Ruddock had to be hospitalized after one of their fights for broken ribs, etc. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."
March 31, 2020, 07:47 PM
jhe888
His true talent, what really made him a champ, was that he always came at his opponent. He never let up. His inexorable and unceasing aggression.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 02, 2020, 05:44 PM
comet24
Tyson at 53 can still move.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSqUEGTvgA

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac