SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Once Upon a Time in America is on Netflix.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once Upon a Time in America is on Netflix. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
It's the full three hour and forty four minute "European cut" instead of the shortened American release that's about half that or less.

I've never seen the full film before, just the opening half hour or so of the shortened theatrical cut a few decades ago.

Probably I'm the last person on Sigforum to newly see it, but if you like 1920-1930's era gangster films, this is a good opportunity to see one of the best.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
A very great film, IMHO. Make sure you see the long version and not the version released here - it was cut to the point where it made no sense.

Ennio Morricone's score is unforgettable.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/PuyYc0gINbU

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suffered through about 90 min of that movie before pulling the plug. I don't know which version I watched but it was so bad.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I have to agree.

The version I saw years ago was bad enough.

This one sucks.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I looked it up on Wikipedia... seems according to the critics, for what ever that is worth, the original short U.S. version is one of the worst movies ever made. While in contrast the original long version is one of the best....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t crazy about either version. It’s a movie that Leone wanted to do for 10 years and if it came out before The Godfather it might of had some traction. Either way, any ounce of fun Leone had left died making Once Upon a Time in the West. Duck, You Sucker was even worse.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post