SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stranger Things 4 (May/July)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stranger Things 4 (May/July) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Will being gay doesn't bother me. It's the heavy handedness of the presentation that bothers me. I actually enjoyed how they handled Robin's sexuality.

I guess since Will likes Mike they think they can't be that subtle.

I must be dense, as I didn't pick up on that at all.
Less obvious than Robin, since her & Steve had their banter over it.

Last season was when the rumors started circulating but this season really cemented it. If you care to, go back and watch each scene where Will, Mike, and Eleven are together. Will is happy when Mike is paying attention to him, but becomes sad or resentful when Mike and Eleven are interacting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Will being gay doesn't bother me. It's the heavy handedness of the presentation that bothers me. I actually enjoyed how they handled Robin's sexuality.

I guess since Will likes Mike they think they can't be that subtle.

Less obvious than Robin, since her & Steve had their banter over it.

Me neither but not surprising with alphabet-agenda in full force.
I don't understand the need to interject sexuality in and of kids. Confused
Let them just be boys and girls until they old enough (adults) to know someone else is trying to groom them for the perverted cause. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will being gay doesn't bother me. It's the heavy handedness of the presentation that bothers me. ...

His being gay wouldn't bother me if it were important to the story. Or even helpful. And maybe it is. Or maybe it was hammered into there to get another woke point for the producer/directors score board. I'm just tired of it being added in that way. And it's so prevalent in every-series, every-episode, that it feels the latter.

I guess maybe his acting is pretty good at showing the emotional challenge of that position. In which case (given the time frame), I think his brother's role/writing was too modern, in immediately (in fact proactively) accepting it. More of a -- what the writers would wish, vs. what would have been in 1980s.

Meh. At least it wasn't too sexualized. It was more emotional, and teen crush. Which seems about ok for teens.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone pick up the Red Dawn vibe from Dustin and his outfit? He was dressed like Jed with the hoodie and headband. I got a Goonies vibe from another character (can’t remember which one), with the beret. Reminded me of Corey Feldman’s character. I don’t know if that was intentional or not, but I got a chuckle out of that.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Watched the last 2 episodes last nite

it was good, we enjoyed it,

and yes, Will is gay,

as mentioned,, someone had to put that out there, guess it made brownie points for the show to get greenlit for S5?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. Great example of both ends of the spectrum, both how to do it and how not to do it.

quote:

Really? They practically beat us over the head with it this entire season long, with Will sorrowfully pining over Mike the entire damn time, constantly giving Mike the googly-eyes, and overtly weeping every time Mike mentioned how much he loved El.

That was basically his sole reason for being around this entire season... just to be the forlorn gay guy with the forbidden crush on his straight best friend. His role literally served no other purpose.

(Similar with the pizza stoner. He could have been totally written out of the script without changing anything. Give Jonathan the part time pizza delivery job, and not a damn thing would have changed with the plot.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Stranger Things fan. That being said I thought this season sucked. Too many story lines, too much teenage angst, too much gay storylines that serve no purpose.

Will is gay. Why? To what end other than a creepy unfulfilled love triangle? Robins story was pandering but at least it wasn’t weird. Why is Jonathon a complete stoner now? I don’t even understand his appeal to Nancy anymore. The pizza buddy was 100% annoying from start to finish. The Russia story was far fetched at best.

Nothing in this season worked right. It was all goofy and overwrought.

I’ll watch season 5. I hope the Duffer Brothers pull their heads out of their asses and concentrate on the story that matters. Will should either stop being so openly gay creepy or he needs to become a secondary character. They also need to fond a way to make Mike appear a bit more grown up, evolved, whatever. His character as of now just still seems like a child. Every time 11 and him get “together” I cringe. Their relationship is completely unbelievable. It’s like a 19 year old dating a 14 year old. Yuk.

I’ll hang on for the next season but they really have to unfuck this mess.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post