SIGforum
Movie: Wind River 2017

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8450077724

December 27, 2018, 07:57 PM
justjoe
Movie: Wind River 2017
I think they were up too high for the lions.

Spoiler alert: Don't read this if you plan to watch.

I thought Pete's death was great. Big Grin I'm usually disappointed in what happens to the villains when they get their due. It never seems harsh enough to me. But him whimpering and sniveling, cowering and crying like the coward he is, and then having to run in the snow and frigid air until -- just like the girl-- he dies choking on the frozen blood in his lungs. Except that she-- a warrior-- ran six miles. And as Cory tells him, "you won't make it fifty yards."

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
December 27, 2018, 10:16 PM
jsbcody
I just re-watched it again on new much bigger 4k screen.....damn it is a good movie.
January 23, 2021, 03:50 PM
TMats
I just watched it for the 3rd time, I guess. We first saw it in the theater in Jackson. Hit me pretty hard. Each time I watch I pick up something I overlooked. I just consider it one of my favorite movies.period.

When I speak of the quality of this movie, I’m talking about the screenplay and the actors. There are things to nit-pick, but I’m not going to do that.

January 23, 2021, 04:31 PM
wingfoot
It’s on Amazon Prime, I may give this a watch tonight.
January 23, 2021, 05:55 PM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
It’s on Amazon Prime, I may give this a watch tonight.

do it -- great movie

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
January 23, 2021, 07:54 PM
BucFan
Adding to list. Wouldn't mind watching it again.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40
January 24, 2021, 08:38 PM
doublesharp
on prime, free with ads, and no fast forwarding.

January 24, 2021, 09:24 PM
wingfoot
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Yeah, 6 minutes in and we get about 4 minutes of commercials, I turned it off. I don’t get it, what is the fee we pay for?
January 25, 2021, 09:33 PM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Yeah, 6 minutes in and we get about 4 minutes of commercials, I turned it off. I don’t get it, what is the fee we pay for?

Free shipping. And the other thousands of movies and shows you can watch.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
January 25, 2021, 10:31 PM
45ProCarry
Great movie. I just watched it again last night.
January 27, 2021, 01:03 AM
mod29
Watched it tonight on Amazon prime. Yeah, the commercials sucked.

The movie, however, did not suck.
Dark, but well acted. Enjoyed the gun scenes despite the stupid Hollywood depiction of people that have been shot, flying through the air like they've been hit by a truck.
Most of the gun scenes were actually pretty good, reasonably realistic.

The handgun looked like a Ruger single action and the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 was perfect for the job.

Depressing movie to a degree, but well worth watching.
January 27, 2021, 02:17 PM
Pyker
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Watched it tonight on Amazon prime. Yeah, the commercials sucked.

The movie, however, did not suck.
Dark, but well acted. Enjoyed the gun scenes despite the stupid Hollywood depiction of people that have been shot, flying through the air like they've been hit by a truck.
Most of the gun scenes were actually pretty good, reasonably realistic.

The handgun looked like a Ruger single action and the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 was perfect for the job.

Depressing movie to a degree, but well worth watching.

Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk with the 4.62" barrel.

I have the same gun but with the 5.5" barrel.

Rifle is the Marlin SBL in 45/70. I also have the same rifle.
October 15, 2021, 11:40 AM
RogueJSK
FYI, this is back on Netflix, after having dropped off for a little bit. So you no longer have to suffer through Amazon's ad-filled version.

Give it a watch, if you haven't already. I watched it again last night. Great movie. Overall, it might be Sheridan's best film, although there are specific scenes from Sicario and Hell and High Water that overshadow any single scene from Wind River.
November 14, 2021, 05:43 PM
TMats
Watched it yet again today. Today I focused on facial expressions. The scenes between Renner’s character and Gil Birmingham’s were especially powerful. I think Elizabeth Olsen did a good job too. As others (including me) have said, it’s become an all-time favorite.

November 15, 2021, 05:44 AM
92fstech
I love this movie. It's dark and deals with some deep stuff, but it addresses it head-on, and the acting, plot, and character development are supurb. The setting is also beuatiful, and one of my favorite parts of the US.

Although I know a .45-70 isn't going to lift people off their feet, it's still a great gunfight scene, and I enjoy the prominent role that the 1895 SBL plays in the movie. The writers did a very thorough job (almost too thorough...I can't really stomach the rape scene) of making you feel pretty satisfied to see those rapist, cop-killing dirtbags get eviscerated by Renner's character with that rifle.

The scenes with Renner's character interacting with the girl's father are also very powerful, and the depiction of life on the reservation is pretty depressing.

Don't watch this one with your kids, but definitely watch it. It's probably the best film I've seen that was made in the past 10 years or so.
November 15, 2021, 10:25 AM
46and2
I enjoyed this, recently (thanks Netflix).
November 15, 2021, 05:23 PM
corsair
I'll have to select this again. A solid movie and one that has a lot of layers if you look deep enough. When it comes to movie with a social impact, I'd say this ranks up there with the New Zealand epic One Were Warriors

I've dated a number of Native American women, and this movie hits the bullseye for a lot of the issues the Native communities deal with. The violence, abuse and disappearance of women is very real, I don't think there was a single family that I met who hadn't dealt with it. Coming from the outside it was strangely common and I think Elizabeth Olsen's character played that very well, being a young agent with zero understanding of the dynamics of Native communities. Every family either had a dark secret or, had experienced some form of violence or, abuse; it wasn't uncommon to have aunts, sisters, nieces and cousins who left the rez or, the bush, only returning very infrequently and for very short visits.

The only issue, I wished the character of Natalie was played by a Native actress, instead of a gal who's mixed Chinese-Caucasian.
November 15, 2021, 05:56 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The only issue, I wished the character of Natalie was played by a Native actress, instead of a gal who's mixed Chinese-Caucasian.

She's close enough though. She also plays Kayce's Indian wife on Yellowstone.

November 15, 2021, 07:26 PM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

She's close enough though. She also plays Kayce's Indian wife on Yellowstone.

And stunningly beautiful. Kelsey Asbile if anyone is interested in googling.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
January 09, 2022, 03:01 PM
redstone
I just watched it on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation. I loved the last scene.

"can you sit with me for a while?" Such a beautiful movie.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson