SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    War of the Worlds, the new(ish) series
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

War of the Worlds, the new(ish) series Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted
any good?

I can't remember if it is on epix or starz or someplace else

stumbled across it last night, it was Season 2 episode 1,
watched maybe 5 minutes and decided to stop,

I'm hoping to get some time to start at season 1 (as in from the beginning,

did a search , found nothing here

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
It's OK. The wife and I started watching it because we had recently finished watching all the different movie versions we could find (the good, the fair and the bad) when we came across it . It's different from any of the movies. To begin with it's set in England and France. I won't add any spoilers.

It held our attention through the 16 (I think) [EDIT 6/12...9 episodes] that were available. We'll watch season 3 [2] if it ever happens.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rebut10,

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
any good?

Rotten Tomatoes scores: Tomatometer: 75%, Audience: 54%

Not encouraging Wink

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I can't remember if it is on epix or starz or someplace else

Epix, according to RT.

With those kinds of scores, I'm not particularly sad we'll be missing it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
It's OK. The wife and I started watching it because we had recently finished watching all the different movie versions we could find (the good, the fair and the bad) when we came across it . It's different from any of the movies. To begin with it's set in England and France. I won't add any spoilers.

It held our attention through the 16 (I think) episodes that were available. We'll watch season 3 if it ever happens.

sounds like it may be worth the time,

wife tends to go to bed early, and I usually stay up a few hrs later, filling part of that time watching some series she is not interested in

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Haven't looked at it yet, but I really dig the 80s TV series that picked up 30 some odd years after the original 1953 film adaptation. In fact, I've got it on DVD somewhere.

Didn't like the Cruise movie at all.

Will I like this reboot? (I hated the SyFy reboot of The Prisoner.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Aside from the Epix one, there is one on AMC. It seems to be just a 3 episode mini-series. We are through the first episode. It's a little different in the fact that it's set at the turn of the 20th Century somewhere around 1904-05.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I didn't know there were any Series of it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I watched the first season on Epix and enjoyed it. Watching the first episode of this year's season and it's interesting. My wife enjoyed the series too.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
Aside from the Epix one, there is one on AMC. It seems to be just a 3 episode mini-series. We are through the first episode. It's a little different in the fact that it's set at the turn of the 20th Century somewhere around 1904-05.

From reading through this thread, it sounds more akin to the novel than any of the previous film adaptations (early 20th Century, located in England); however, from doing some cursory research into the show, it seems like a generic apocalyptic drama rather than the actual War of the Worlds. There aren't even any tripods, correct? I've heard it's some sort of alien dog-like creatures.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:

From reading through this thread, it sounds more akin to the novel than any of the previous film adaptations (early 20th Century, located in England); however, from doing some cursory research into the show, it seems like a generic apocalyptic drama rather than the actual War of the Worlds. There aren't even any tripods, correct? I've heard it's some sort of alien dog-like creatures.

I'm 2 episodes in, and so far just the dogs,
kinda like the robot dogs in Black Mirror,

and no tripods, yet

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
well,

finally finished the first season, and an interesting twist at the end,

it's very slow moving, as a series goes,

posted Hide Post
The only War of the Worlds I like is the 50s one with real special effects not the fake crap today.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
well,

finished up the second season,

odd twist, and the ending seemed to settle it,

however they are green lit for a 3rd season,

not sure where that will go

posted Hide Post
As others have said, an interesting twist if you stick with the series. I have enjoyed it. If I have a spare hour, it's a good choice to select an episode I haven't seen on demand.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post