SIGforum
Speaking of Van Halen...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8340010144

April 26, 2018, 11:12 PM
smithnsig
Speaking of Van Halen...
Listening to some live stuff from the past and fairly recent. DLR is awful, his voice is gone if he ever had one. Sounds like a Las Vegas Lounge act. Sammy was a better singer, DLR had better songs to sing.

EVH still sounds good.

Wolfgang is a fantastic bassist. Keeps the bottom end really tight yet can still be a bass rhythm guitar hybrid. He’s better than Michael Anthony. I didn’t think I would ever say that.

Listen to live at the Tokyo Dome with a good system of good headphones. DLR is not good, but Wolfgang really plays well.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
April 26, 2018, 11:27 PM
Prefontaine
AMERICA!!!
https://youtu.be/wk3XSV6H6w0

Sammy!
https://youtu.be/FDStPKHUbqw

Full diclsosure. Sammy is a friend of a friend. My friend was working for him when he made his jean company. Independent of that, Hagar + VH = their best work. Magnificent shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
April 27, 2018, 09:01 AM
benny6
5150 is perhaps my favorite album but my favorite songs are Dreams, Best of Both Worlds and Poundcake.

I pretty much like nearly all VH albums except the last two with the Extreme lead singer and DLR.

I always liked Sammy's voice better.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
April 27, 2018, 09:05 AM
gw3971
Van Hagar!
April 27, 2018, 09:11 AM
patw
When I heard Sammy would be the new front man for VH I didn't think they would be around much longer. After hearing how well they went together, I was amazed at how much more I liked the group. OU812 was a great album but 5150 brought it all home. Sammy still sounds great for his age.
April 27, 2018, 02:01 PM
Kevmo
Several years ago I got to (had to) work with DLR because he was booked at one of my clients properties. I was initially excited about it until I discovered what an ego driven crazy bastard he was....miserable experience
April 27, 2018, 04:55 PM
mark123
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Listening to some live stuff from the past and fairly recent. DLR is awful, his voice is gone if he ever had one. ...
He's pretty old now but, while I was never a VH fan, in his younger days he was a good rock singer.

April 27, 2018, 05:44 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Several years ago I got to (had to) work with DLR because he was booked at one of my clients properties. I was initially excited about it until I discovered what an ego driven crazy bastard he was....miserable experience

Yup. Prima Donna. Its why Sammy got the job in the first fucking place. The band was over it, big time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
April 27, 2018, 09:47 PM
Echtermetzger
quote:
I was initially excited about it until I discovered what an ego driven crazy bastard he was....miserable experience

That's just it, I think there is some mental illness going on there. He seems manic to me.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.
April 27, 2018, 09:59 PM
Abn556
IMO Van Halen was just better with Sammy. He’s a pro.
April 28, 2018, 12:59 PM
Batty67
I'm still a V(F)H fan with Diamond Dave on the mic. But I'm talking pre-Sammy.
May 01, 2018, 08:58 PM
gatopescado
I saw Van Halen a few years back with DLR in San Antonio...he really sucked. All the Van Halens were really good but DLR was very annoying, I wish I would have seen Van Hagar way back when.
May 01, 2018, 09:41 PM
smithnsig
They are gonna ride him a while but they will eventually tire of him again. His problem is that he doesn’t realize that even though he does all the talking and singing, Eddie will always be the front man.

I doubt they will ever play with Sammy again. He’s big buddies and current band mate with Michael Anthony. Unless Wolf gets his own gig, MA is on the outside lookin in.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
May 02, 2018, 08:50 AM
YellowJacket
Right Now has always been my favorite VH song.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.