SIGforum
Odd question for anyone familiar with Donovan's Reef

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8300038434

December 18, 2017, 07:11 PM
sureshot45
Odd question for anyone familiar with Donovan's Reef
Does anyone know the beer they drink throughout the movie? I have an family who's Christmas tradition is to watch Donovan's Reed and drink the beer. They mentioned they haven't been able to find locally the last year or two and I'm going to try and surprise them with a 6 pack but I cannot remember the name and don't know anyone with a copy of the movie.

ro'ark leather
December 18, 2017, 07:37 PM
cas
Where are our early 60's beer label experts? Big Grin

December 18, 2017, 08:13 PM
firemancjack
Looks like a Fosters label. I believe Fosters is an Australian beer.
I love that movie. In fact I'm planning on watching it and A Christmas Story Christmas day

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)
December 18, 2017, 08:28 PM
sureshot45
I’m thinking it started with as S. Fosters is readily available so It almost has to be something else. Is there a beach scene where they are carrying bottles with them maybe? The conversation was yesterday but I just can’t remember.

ro'ark leather
December 18, 2017, 09:16 PM
newtoSig765
This is SigForum, you know somebody has the movie.

That would be me.

My girlfriend and I watched the bar fight, and they kept the labels covered, couldn't read them. Sorry!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
December 18, 2017, 09:24 PM
sureshot45
Thanks for looking, didn't think to try amazon first but it's a $4 rental so I'll let it play tonight while finishing up some other things and maybe I'll catch it.

Sten or Stien keep popping in my head, and that they just drink Heineken now instead.

ro'ark leather
December 18, 2017, 09:25 PM
cas
I have it on an AVI on my computer, scanned through it a time or two, I only see the bottles in the bar scenes like I posted.

This old Fosters bottle sure in close.

December 19, 2017, 12:03 AM
mr kablammo
Looks like this?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-a...tle-label/1165928457

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
December 19, 2017, 12:04 AM
sureshot45
just finished it myself and I agree it seems to be the only one there. Oh well, I'll ask them about it again and surprise them next year.

ro'ark leather
December 19, 2017, 12:07 AM
mr kablammo
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
just finished it myself and I agree it seems to be the only one there. Oh well, I'll ask them about it again and surprise them next year.

What?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
December 19, 2017, 12:23 AM
sureshot45
I found the movie was available on Amazon to rent and just finished it. I didn’t see any other beer bottles it could have been so sometime in the next year I’ll bring it up and see what beer it was they used to buy for their yearly viewing and get if for them next Christmas.

ro'ark leather