SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Recent WWI movies & favorites of same
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent WWI movies & favorites of same Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Paths of Glory (1957) Stanley Kubrick film

Very anti-war message focusing on the futility and stupidity of WWI tactics used by the generals. Kirk Douglas is excellent as the scapegoat of the generals.

Good movie, worth watching.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Gallipoli
All Quiet on the Western Front - both versions are great imho.
The Eagle and the Hawk

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Here’s another Aussie movie you might want to checkout if you can find it.

The Lighthorsemen is a 1987 Australian feature film about the men of a World War I light horse unit involved in Sinai and Palestine Campaign's 1917 Battle of Beersheeba. The film is based on a true story and most of the characters in the film were based on real people.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2BobTanner beat me to it! Great movie!

There's some good ones already mentioned; here's a few more obscure ones:

"ANZACS". I think this is actually from a TV series packaged as a movie. (Sort of like "Lonesome Dove".) Great flick, featuring tanks, Lewis guns, and Crocodile Dundee (Paul Hogan).

"Westfront 1918 - Vier Von Der Infanterie". I first saw this in a motel room at about two in the morning on TCM and later tracked down a DVD. It's a circa 1930 German film along the lines of "All Quiet on the Western Front."

"Stosstrupp 1917". Released in 1934; funded and supported by the Nazi government, called "Hitler's Cinematic Response to Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front". Propaganda with good action.

"Berge in Flammen" (Mountains in Flames). Remarkable film from 1931 about Austrians and Italians fighting in the Tyrol Alps. Cinematography ahead of it's time. (Hitler didn't like this one, either.)

I'm not sure it they're still in business, but "Belle and Blade" used to be a great source for military films and documentaries.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Passchendaele (2007). From a DVD I have that is marked “Combat Movie Classics” and “War Collection”

Movie is pre USA involvement with Canadian Expeditionary Forces being over there fighting and back home in Canada. Well done and provokes some thoughts.

Seems to be available as a movie on utube - search “Passchendaele full movie”

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
"The Water Diviner" is another good choice.

And if you don't mind subtitles, I recommend the French film "A Very Long Engagement".

Neither are exactly "war movies", with both having to do with family members after the war trying to piece together what happened to their loved ones during the war, but they're both well done and they both include combat scenes.

I saw the Water Diviner, it was quite good. And I don't mind subtitles, so I'll check out the Frenchie film. Thanks!

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Another decent movie I found on Amazon is called Regeneration. And I ordered a dvd of The Lighthorsemen, looking forward to this.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
"The Water Diviner" is another good choice.

And if you don't mind subtitles, I recommend the French film "A Very Long Engagement".

Neither are exactly "war movies", with both having to do with family members after the war trying to piece together what happened to their loved ones during the war, but they're both well done and they both include combat scenes.

I saw the Water Diviner, it was quite good. And I don't mind subtitles, so I'll check out the Frenchie film. Thanks!

+1 for the Water Diviner,

I watched it a few times in the past few months on a cable show,

a bit post war, that looks back at the war, with some Turk issues as well

good flick

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can think of "WarHorse", and "Joyeux Noel" (the later about the Christmas Truce of 1914; very well done.
Also, about 25 years ago, there was a TV series called "Young Indiana Jones". Several episodes dealt with WWI including one about combat on the Western front. Production values for the series were way beyond normal TV fair and the episodes were amazing, I recall.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's a recent BBC movie called "The Wipers Times" that used to be streaming on Netflix, but looks like it was removed at some point recently. It's based on a true story about a group of British soldiers who created a satirical newspaper to lighten the mood of their unit while holding the line at Ypers.

And Netflix does still have the recent 3 episode BBC miniseries "Our World War" available for streaming, which consists of three hour-long dramatizations based on the first-hand accounts of 3 real life British soldiers in WW1.

There was also a recent HBO miniseries "Parade's End" with Benedict Cumberbatch, which takes place partly during WW1. It's very well done. Might not be what you're looking for, though. While the second half does involve the main character's time at the front during WW1, it's mostly a drama about Edwardian aristocracy. Looks like it's available with Amazon Prime Video, or through HBO Go/HBO Now.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post