SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Has anyone successfully repaired a scratched blu-ray disc?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone successfully repaired a scratched blu-ray disc? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
In the old days of DVDs, scratches were relatively simple to repair. Done it hundreds of times, got the supplies and equipment - that's down to a science.

Despite their similarities to DVDs, however, Blu-rays are something entirely different structurally - different plastic, often multiple layers, and tighter packing of data so smaller scratches have greater impact.

Having proven to myself (trial and error) that cleaning methods, tools and supplies perfectly adequate to DVD issues have no effect on Blu-Rays, I'm wondering what (other than trashing) can be done with scratched Blu-Ray discs.

There is no shortage of anecdotal stuff out there one can Google (toothpaste, furniture polish, etc.) - I'm curious whether any of us have actually successfully repaired scratched Blu-Ray and if so, what method worked. Also interested to hear from folks who have tried various methods and found them failing - that would also be useful in avoiding my potentially repeating failed experiments.

Any inputs would be most welcomed.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the scratches aren't bad, cleaning with a glass cleaner occasionally made a blue ray disc play better. Some discs would refuse to play on the player connected to the TV, but would work on the computer. Disc duplication software like DVDFab had some settings to try reading multiple times before giving up and was useful.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
146 views and one reply. I suspect this means there's not a lot of success out there to report.

Thanks for the note, bryan11, I'll try some window cleaner.

Thinking I'll do some experimenting. I have some blank BD-ROMs I can test materials on to check for scratching/smearing and those cleaning/polishing approaches that don't mess up the blanks, I'll try on problematic Blu-Rays and see how it goes.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I have never had success with severely scratched discs being repairable.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Cracks and deep ones are unrepairable, and those I don't even try.

These are almost invisible - in some cases they are invisible - as in, I put on a headlamp magnifier and there's nothing visibly wrong even at 3x with strong light.

Since the downside is trashing them, might as well do some experimentation. The online stuff ranges from outdated/wrong (just use DVD cleaner) to ludicrous-sounding (banana?!?!?)

I went out and bought granite polish, Windex, furniture restorer, furniture polish and several ridiculously fine grit sandpapers, to go along with what I already have on hand (various DVD polishes, Magic Eraser, Barkeepers Friend, Countertop Polish).

I could not bring myself to buy bananas, however.

Anyway, when time permits, I'll use them all on blanks and see what happens re: residue, deep scratches.

Phase 2 will be to take the ones that passed that test and see if they have any effect (positive or negative) on the troublesome Blu-Rays.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've used Flitz with success on watches. I would probably try that if I had a scratched disc. Never tried it though.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On audio CD's that were skipping, I have had success using liquid automobile cleaner polish.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post