SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Saturday morning cartoons , those were they days
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday morning cartoons , those were they days Login/Join 
posted
Me TV is bringing them back .

How can they begin to think that kids today will put down their electronic toys,
to watch cartoons ?

( If that's their target audience Big Grin )

Heck, I know over half a dozen kids that are at the soccer field, the ball field, the football field, or the basketball court at 8:30 on Saturday mornings.

Will sports go away?
Could this be the resurrection of couch potato 's?

www.metv.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Hell, I might watch them!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
are they running Looney Tunes?

and are they the cut/sanitized version?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
are they running Looney Tunes?

and are they the cut/sanitized version?

This. If so...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems like the government wants to ruin everything. That was the end of the cartoons in the morning.

Back when it cost $300,000 to make Smurf cartoons, it was well spent compared to the craptoons they have today.

I don't think they would show the Censored 11 or Song of the South, but Adolph Wolf was funny as hell.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
HBO Max has the uncut Looney Toons on there, have been watching some over the last week. Great memories

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they'll show these from WWII...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xltO0Xcdm1s

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I thought Private Snafu sounded amazingly similar to Bugs Bunny. Hmm... Wink

How many times have you heard Donald Duck say 'Heil Hitler'? Lucky for us he had a bad dream.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of classic Tom & Jerry.
Trivia:
Q: What was Tom's girlfriend named?
A: Toodles Galore.
Is you is or is you aint my baby?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They are supposed to have Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Awesome. I used to love the Bugs Bunny Roadrunner hour.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
None of those were originally Saturday morning television cartoons. They were shown in theaters. Too bad they don't show these or something like them instead of the endless previews of other movies.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
What will be interesting is seeing what ads get played.

Curious whether it'll be toys/games or Metamucil/Geritol? Wink

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have fond memories of Saturday morning cartoons circa the early-mid 1980's at my grandmother's house in Philly. yes, those were the days.

I have young kids ages 3 and 6 and therefore get to see a lot of their "cartoons" and kids programming in general and what I've noticed is that the majority of it seems to be educational or otherwise seems to want to show or teach them something. I think the government mandated that somewhere along the way, they are far different than the cartoons of our day.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
None of those were originally Saturday morning television cartoons. They were shown in theaters.

Most of them I was exposed to originally during weekday cartoons, not Saturday morning. I did watch a lot of The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Hour though.

It's a step in the right direction, and they appeal to a wide audience, but I'll wait until they specifically target my Gen-X '70s kid generation. I'd love to check out The Funky Phantom, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, Speed Buggy, Clue Club, Hong Kong Phooey, Emergency +4, and Laff-A-Lympics again. Those were my Saturday morning cartoons.

Also, live-action stuff like Shazam, Land of the Lost, and especially, Ark II—postapocalypticism for kids!

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Jonny Quest in the 60’s. My Dad used to get me up from bed so I wouldnt miss it !
Now that is a great memory !

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Summer of '70, I was 18. Had the house to myself for about four weeks total that year as my mother had gotten remarried and was traveling with my stepfather.

I worked Mondays thru Fridays. The drill Friday night was get off work, fill the car up, pick up a pizza on the way home. Clean up, go out and party or go cruising on Telegraph.

Regardless how late or early I came in the Saturday morning drill was early awake, some cold pizza, a can or two of Coca Cola and Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CBS Cartooniverse in the mid-60's - the last of the violent adventure/fun cartoons like The Herculoids, Mightor, Space Ghost, Birdman, The Lone Ranger, etc. Then the government mandated that cartoons had to have socially appropriate themes like environmentalism. And no violence. I hated that.
Johnny Quest's single season in infinite reruns was the only reprieve for a long time.

Posts: 632 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The CBS Cartooniverse in the mid-60's - the last of the violent adventure/fun cartoons like The Herculoids, Mightor, Space Ghost, Birdman, The Lone Ranger, etc.
Yes! Big Grin The Herculoids was my favorite of those. Except for the Lone Ranger, they were all Hanna-Barbera productions. About the same time there was also a Fantastic Four. The 1967 Lone Ranger cartoon borrowed heavily from The Wild Wild West, even having an analog to Dr. Loveless called Tiny Tom. Another - a "so bad it's good" - was Super President.

posted Hide Post
Man, I miss those times. I just remembered the late 70's, early 80's Tarzan and Flash Gordon shows. Oh, and Thundar the barbarian, I loved that one. Unfortunately, today's kids don't see them like we did. I'll show stuff like the Super Friends to my kids and they're like, really dad? That was super lame. Well, forty something years ago they were super awesome.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post