SIGforum
Tulsa King

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8010034694

November 21, 2022, 02:08 PM
rtquig
Tulsa King
I watched two episodes last night. I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a big Stallone fan but he has grown on me and I'll watch the series in full. I watch it on Paramount +.

Living the Dream
November 21, 2022, 02:22 PM
PASig
I watched the first episode Friday night and liked it way more than I was expecting to. Looks like I'll be adding this to the watchlist.

Question: was Stallone wearing some sort of dentures or mouth device that makes him speak that way? Seems like he almost speaks with a slight lisp now and I don't ever recall hearing that.

November 21, 2022, 02:57 PM
rtquig
^^^^^^^^^
I'll have to check it out tonight. I am hard of hearing and I do miss a lot of dialogue. I should start wearing my headphones more while watching TV.

Living the Dream
November 21, 2022, 06:16 PM
jljones
I think it’s dentures.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

November 21, 2022, 07:03 PM
.38supersig
Since they only show the preview 87 times through each episode of Yellowstone, I feel like I've seen Tulsa King already.

November 21, 2022, 09:02 PM
Oz_Shadow
First episode was entertaining. For some reason it makes me think of Lilyhammer.
November 22, 2022, 02:39 AM
KevinCW
It seemed a bit cheesy, but it was ok. We only watched the first episode.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
November 22, 2022, 09:14 AM
smschulz
I was entertained on episode one.
So far I like it.
Worth a watch.
November 22, 2022, 09:22 AM
fischtown7
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I watched the first episode Friday night and liked it way more than I was expecting to. Looks like I'll be adding this to the watchlist.

Question: was Stallone wearing some sort of dentures or mouth device that makes him speak that way? Seems like he almost speaks with a slight lisp now and I don't ever recall hearing that.

Stallone has always had a speech impediment, it is a result of when he was born the doctor severed a nerve in his face using tongs or forceps to pull him out during birth. Sofar I like the series, sorta Breaking Bad meets Sopraonos meet Yellowstone.
November 22, 2022, 01:18 PM
rtquig
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
First episode was entertaining. For some reason it makes me think of Lilyhammer.

That was my exact same thought.

Living the Dream
November 23, 2022, 04:17 PM
Prefontaine
Watched EP 1 and 2. Definitely in for this. Some “typical” but I like mob stuff and like Sly. Watching him not even get to the hotel and start shaking down the dispensary was pretty funny.

I get Paramount for like $2 a month because I wanted Showtime so this combo meal works. I didn’t even know Yellowstone was on this platform until yesterday. Top Gun Maverick will be streaming from P+ in December even though I have the 4k disc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
November 29, 2022, 09:24 AM
OKCGene
All of the Sound Stage work (inside filming) was done in Oklahoma City at Prairie Surf Studios (the former Cox Center downtown, also known as the Myriad), and many of the outside works was done around OKC and the OKC Stockyards.

And, of course, quite a lot was shot in Tulsa (88 miles away).

The lady who sometimes cuts my hair has her shop in the OKC Stockyards, and one day Sylvester just wandered in and wanted to see her shop. She has quite a Western Cowboy theme. She has a pic of him standing with her by one of her barber chairs. Apparently Stallone wandered around quite a bit, rumored to be just scouting out interesting places that would make a good place to shoot screens. Word I got was that he was very nice and personable as well was courteous and cordial. Can't beat that.
November 29, 2022, 10:38 AM
rainman64
I am enjoying it.
Light humor with a little drama.
Has potential, and I like the bartender.

The only gripe I have is burying a 40 minute episode in 30 minutes of commercials.
Mad

November 29, 2022, 01:35 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I am enjoying it.
Light humor with a little drama.
Has potential, and I like the bartender.

The only gripe I have is burying a 40 minute episode in 30 minutes of commercials.
Mad

That sucks. I have the commercial free version Razz

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
January 11, 2023, 07:23 PM
Orguss
Binge-watched the whole season in one session. It's really good. Of course, I'm sure it's nothing like how things go in the Mafia, marijuana business, or ATF.

I got a good laugh in the season finale, when they're hacking into the biker's Cayman islands accounts:
"How did you learn all this shit?"
"I spent five years in an Internet startup."

It's a referal to the five year run of Silicon Valley.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 11, 2023, 09:14 PM
mkueffer
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I got a good laugh in the season finale, when they're hacking into the biker's Cayman islands accounts:
"How did you learn all this shit?"
"I spent five years in an Internet startup."

It's a referal to the five year run of Silicon Valley.

I chuckled at that too. It was a classic nod over. I did not check if any of the executives or production crew was involved in both.

A few Sigs and some others
January 12, 2023, 03:11 PM
Green Highlander
Well done show. Stallone's mannerisms and they way he carried himself really reminded me of some guys I knew who were (allegedly) in OC.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
January 13, 2023, 08:30 AM
BigSwede
I finished last night and liked the series

The use of "In the air tonight" to me was way out of place. It ONLY belongs on Miami Vice. Period!

January 13, 2023, 10:19 AM
M'headSig
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
The use of "In the air tonight" to me was way out of place. It ONLY belongs on Miami Vice. Period!

LOL, I was startled by that too. That song forever belongs to Miami Vice. I guess the Tulsa King show runners don't think there are enough of us still around who remember Miami Vice.
January 13, 2023, 08:23 PM
patw
I enjoyed the show and thought Stallone did a great job in it.