SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Jake Gyllenhaal is back in uniform for Afghanistan rescue drama ‘The Covenant’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jake Gyllenhaal is back in uniform for Afghanistan rescue drama ‘The Covenant’ Login/Join 
posted
Directed by Guy Ritchie.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/02PPMPArNEQ

Article and trailer:

https://taskandpurpose.com/cul...ler-jake-gyllenhaal/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good

Jake was one of my favorite actors until he made a string of stinkers, we'll see

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm liking it, but the woke cowards will hate it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked Guy Ritchie movies and hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I'll post the unpopular opinion. This is for GenX what Rambo II was for the boomers. A feel good action flick of one guy going in to fix what our brass/politicians couldn't. While I hope this movie is a good one, and it does well, it is too fucking soon for me.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
A feel good action flick of one guy going in to fix what our brass/politicians couldn't. While I hope this movie is a good one, and it does well, it is too fucking soon for me.

I had the same thought.

It looks like the film was greenlit in October 2021, less than 2 months after the disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan and the stranding of so many of our Afghan allies.

I don't know how I feel about that... Obscene cash grab, or honest attempt at honoring the bond between our countries and their servicemen? I guess it remains to be seen.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I felt like it was too soon as well after I saw the trailer.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I always liked Guy Ritchie movies ...

Even from the Madonna era? Even the one about King Arthur?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Haha. Exactly.

I feel like most people who say "I love Guy Ritchie movies" really mean "I love Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels". Big Grin (Maybe the Sherlock films and Man From UNCLE too, if they're being generous.)

But that glosses over the fact that he's had several real stinkers, and a number of just middling movies.

In fact, of his 13 films, he's had more stinkers that winners.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw it yesterday and really liked it. Don't think this will be a movie that Brandon and his minions will be watching for sure. Some damning info at the ending about what happened to the interpreters left behind that I was not aware of including how many there were. That alone will probably keep it from being in the running for any "awards" from the progressive lefts that nominate such.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com...itchies_the_covenant

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Haha. Exactly.

I feel like most people who say "I love Guy Ritchie movies" really mean "I love Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels". Big Grin (Maybe the Sherlock films and Man From UNCLE too, if they're being generous.)

But that glosses over the fact that he's had several real stinkers, and a number of just middling movies.

In fact, of his 13 films, he's had more stinkers that winners.

I do like his movies, even the ones people call bombs, so to speak. I like the actors he has in his movies and the positions he puts them in. Rock-n-Rolla was good and even Revolver was enjoyable. Of course his early movies were great but his later ones, I like as well. Well maybe not so much Swept Away or Aladdin but King Arthur was not that bad,in my opinion.

My favorite movie of his so far is The Gentlemen. It was well cast and the writing was good.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it have been great if they had waited and released it a little closer to the elections?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The preview looks really promising.

Jake Gyllenhaal’s performance in Night Crawler and Donnie Darko was nothing short of spectacular. Those movies made me a fan. This looks like there is some potential to add one more film to Gyllenhaal’s list of exquisite works.

I hope it doesn’t disappoint.

I actually liked Gyllenhaal’s performance in Jarhead though many active duty friends of mine quite vocally despise that film. I would argue if you read the book and look at the adaption Gyllenhaal did a pretty damn good job working with the subject material. (Their beef is with the author)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Saw it Tuesday, $5 tickets at the local theater
I'll give it a B-
Pretty good action scenes, I liked the interpreter better than the main Jake G character
Little weak on overall character development
Wife wanted more story/romance between the main character and wife back at home.
It's worth a watch

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
It looks interesting.

If you want to watch a really good documentary on the evacuation watch "Send me"

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The movie is more Hollywood action than I had hoped for. I guess I was expecting something like Lone Survivor or even Extraction, but it felt like a real throwaway action flick. It was definitely disappointing coming from Guy Ritchie. I suppose he would do best to stick with comedic movies rather than drama/action.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It was definitely disappointing coming from Guy Ritchie.

He hasn’t done Scorsese type work since Snatch and Bricktop. It’s something, us film nerds, could see like Nostradamus, a mile out. He hasn’t done anything really worth a fuck in 20+ years. Made some great, legendary, films, but a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We liked it. I guess my taste is a bit more pedestrian than some of you.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This is still a premium pay to view movie right and not included with any streaming service?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
This is still a premium pay to view movie right and not included with any streaming service?

Yes

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post