SIGforum
What’s with commercials every 10 minutes on Amazon Prime series I paid for (1923)????

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7870030894

January 20, 2023, 11:20 PM
sjtill
What’s with commercials every 10 minutes on Amazon Prime series I paid for (1923)????
I’ve never seen this before.
Is this the future of streaming video?
Say it ain’t so!!

January 21, 2023, 07:59 AM
Orguss
Hulu has been streaming with commercials since it was launched in 2007.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 21, 2023, 08:03 AM
Leemur
Wife got Paramount Plus for some reason so I’ve been watching a few things. Commercials in all of it. Mad
January 21, 2023, 08:40 AM
PASig
The YouTube TV on demand is basically unusable because of this. We love YTTV otherwise but the on demand part SUCKS.

2 minutes of show…5 solid minutes of commercials. Over and over and over.

It’s ridiculous

January 21, 2023, 08:48 AM
ensigmatic
If y'all are paying for these services and they're still interrupting the programming for which you paid with commercials, I have to ask: Why do you keep paying for it?
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Hulu has been streaming with commercials since it was launched in 2007.
Hulu used used to have both a less expensive option that included commercial interruptions and a more expensive option that did not. Are you saying what used to be the commercial-free option no long is?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
January 21, 2023, 09:32 AM
Orguss
I'm speaking more to the first point you made. You paid for a service, no matter the tier, and they still slammed commercials in your face. I haven't used Hulu since it was first introduced and only had a month-long trial. I don't keep up with it but do know from passing that they still have commercials. I'm just not sure which tiers include them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 21, 2023, 09:38 AM
BigSwede
quote:
Hulu used used to have both a less expensive option that included commercial interruptions and a more expensive option that did not. Are you saying what used to be the commercial-free option no long is?

I pay the more expensive option on Hulu, it only gets rid of Hulus advertising, not other networks. At first I was pissed and downgraded, there was a huge uptick in commercials so I went back with the upgrade. Can't win

Netflix is supposed to start advertising too

January 21, 2023, 09:44 AM
sjtill
This isn't Hulu, it's Amazon Prime. I've watched hundreds of movies, TV shows, streaming video series and NEVER have seen commercials.

Now you tell me Paramount + (which was the original source of the 1923 series, I believe) also has commercials?

We watched a couple of episodes of Yellowstone without commercials.

I guess I'm going to have to write to Amazon to complain.

January 21, 2023, 09:46 AM
OcCurt
I pay for Hulu (10 bucks or something) I don’t get commercials when I watch something. Same with Netflix. First commercial I see I’m gone
January 21, 2023, 09:49 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I pay the more expensive option on Hulu, it only gets rid of Hulus advertising, not other networks.
Of course not. Hulu can control only their advertising. They're merely rebroadcasting the broadcast networks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
January 21, 2023, 12:02 PM
M'headSig
Amazon Prime still has plenty of commercial free content. You need to check if what you want to watch is Amazon Prime content or content on their paid advertising channel called Freebie.

I don't fault your confusion. I find Amazon Prime's video website to be very confusing concerning what is available commercial free or without added cost to Prime subscribers. I believe there is an option you can enable where the website will show you "Free to Prime Subscribers" in terms of what's available.

As to Paramount+ there are two tiers: cheaper with ads and more expensive with no ads. Peacock offers a similar two-tier option.

Hulu will have network commercials if you're watching the shows as they air. If you watch after they have aired, there are no commercials. At least I haven't encountered any.

Finally, check out online PlayOn. It's a free app you can download onto your phone or tablet, and then buy from PlayOn very cheap credits -- You can then on the app schedule PlayOn to record the show or movie you want to watch and then cast it to your TV (very easy) with the commercials removed. A high-def PlayOn recording costs about 50 cents (three credits).
January 21, 2023, 12:06 PM
sjtill
I was told by Amazon (chat) that I would have to subscribe to Paramount + to get commercial-free videos on that channel.
What bugs me is that it's so hard to know what's what.
They refunded my rental fee.

I subscribed to Paramount + 9.99 a month. They've got lots of good stuff on there, will cancel when I've seen what I want.

I like 1923 better than Yellowstone so far.

January 21, 2023, 04:45 PM
doublesharp
Here's a link for free movies & series, including Yellowstone, 1923, Mayor of Kingstown, etc that are commercial free but I can only watch on my computer. Could probably cast to tv but I hate learning new things. Roll Eyes Big Grin

https://www1.freemoviesfull.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: doublesharp,

January 21, 2023, 10:28 PM
cas
Prime, Netflix and I assume all of them, they all have an awful user interface. Prime is just awful. I've said it before, it's not free, it's not "free to me", it's not "free with commercials". I pay you every month. If I stop paying you, I can no longer watch it. So it's not free.

That said, I shouldn't be seeing any F'ing listing or ad for something I CAN'T see, until I've seen the listing for everything I can see.

It's always amazed me there's no big list on these sites of what's available. (yes, a giant scrolable list of thousands of title would be cumbersome and awful to navigate, but it should still be an option.)
January 22, 2023, 06:11 PM
YooperSigs
Some of the stuff on Prime is actually on something called "FreeVee" with loads of commercials. There is a small FreeVee logo at the bottom of the teaser screen that shows its not Prime. FreeVee sucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
January 22, 2023, 07:21 PM
armored
Way back in the beginning of Cable, I remember the big attraction was NO COMMERCIALS as opposed to over the air broadcasts.
How did that work out.
January 23, 2023, 04:07 PM
Tn226
The amazing thing about Hulu when watching live is, when changing channels 99% of the time it lands on a commercial. This is regardless of network you change too. I’ve actually tested it. Changed channels 25 times and 22 went to a commercial on the new station. Limited I know but still—- They know it’s an ad because in the upper right corner is a yellow “ad”