New
Find
Notify
Tools

F1 vs Indy Car Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A few years ago there was a photo of the various F1 cars lined up in bare carbon (no graphics/paint) and it was very hard to tell which car was which. The truth is that the graphics are what we identify.
The costs are so high in these series that I doubt they will open it up in Indycar anytime soon.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I remember something like that.
Apart from super distinctive designs, like the twin tusk Force India & hideous Caterham, it's pretty difficult.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I ran across an article (no link) about how well Roger Penske is doing, he's worth north of a billion. That seemed to make no sense. Penske bought the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indy Car racing series just before the covid hit. Spectator sport among the hardest hit. How would Rog weather that?

Don’t forget there’s more to the Penske Empire than just motor racing. He’s got automobile dealers nationwide, a successful truck rental business, and a corporate director at General Electric.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I ran across an article (no link) about how well Roger Penske is doing, he's worth north of a billion. That seemed to make no sense. Penske bought the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indy Car racing series just before the covid hit. Spectator sport among the hardest hit. How would Rog weather that?

He’s owned tons of car dealerships and other businesses for decades. Penske Automotive Group, a Fortune 500 company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penske_Automotive_Group

And they all are owned by the Penske Corporation, which he also owns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penske_Corporation

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Understood but Rog sunk much of it on IndyCar and it's paying off. Win/win for him and us.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
He only paid between 250-300 million for Indy car and the speedway. His businesses make a profit of about 500 million a year. He could literally break even or lose money with Indy car every year and easily continue the series for years and years.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have grown used to the halo on the cars. but the plastic screen really bugs me for some reason.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the money numbers PowerSurge, sounds like Penske made off like a bandit.

quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I have grown used to the halo on the cars. but the plastic screen really bugs me for some reason.

I have to agree, IndyCar's aeroscreen looks much clunkier than the halo, the cars' visual balance is less appealing. That said, both implementations have been shown to be extremely effective.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It helps that they've made the halo on F1 into a base for on screen graphics, so it's hidden on most onboard shots.
Hated it when it was first grafted onto the 2018 cars, but barely notice it anymore.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
He only paid between 250-300 million for Indy car and the speedway. His businesses make a profit of about 500 million a year. He could literally break even or lose money with Indy car every year and easily continue the series for years and years.

And you can thank the guy that sold everything to Penske for that. There were years before unification that the Indy 500 was only at 2/3rd capacity and were giving out tickets. Boy Wonder really did a number on the sport and Indianapolis, IN.

The other problem with the Aeroscreen is what is also took Red Bull several years to figure out. IndyCar went back to roll hoops on the Universal Aero Kit while F1 still uses an airbox that leads to the engine. Red Bull had to find a way to anchor the aeroscreen on a section that doesn’t exist.

That and since F1 builds a new car every year, they get to refine the halo every year.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just watched the final race for the season at Laguna...

nice to see Will Power take the title again, wish Dixon had done a bit better

oh well, next year Big Grin

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Indy at Richmond VA. 0.75 mile track, unheard of lap times. IIRC, NASCAR is 23 seconds, while Indy was 16 seconds. https://us.motorsport.com/indy...hmond-style/2089091/

Anyway, it was never attended well, and was cancelled. I remember trying my hand at a single lug nut tire change in the parking lot. Hard to do fast.

I stopped at the Indy track museum in Indy. What memories. Rode around the track on the bus. It was, and likely still is, a series that mere mortals can join. I miss the innovation, and as I said earlier on this thread, dislike required parts such as a Dallara chassis. But, it works, financially.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Richmond is one of the tracks that IndyCar is trying to go back to. They had an agreement for 2020, but COVID killed that race and the contract. It's one of 3 tracks they're wanting to bring back over the next three years along with a Mexico race to start the season with.

https://racer.com/2022/09/27/i...ions-for-new-venues/

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
The 2023 schedule is out and available on the Indy car news website.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hoping much of their 2023 schedule will continue to be shown on OTA broadcast TV.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
About the same as last year. 13 of 17 races including both days of Indy 500 qualifying will be on NBC, 3 races on USA, Toronto will be Peacock only, and I’m sure the bitching birds will be out in full force next year when they’ll cry about not being told Toronto is Peacock only.

2023 IndyCar schedule

St. Petersburg, March 4-5 NBC
Texas Motor Speedway, Apri1 1-2 NBC
Long Beach, April 15-16 NBC
Barber Motorsports Park, April 29-30 NBC
Indianapolis GP, May 13-14 NBC
Indy 500, May 28 NBC
Detroit GP, June 3-4 NBC
Road America, June 17-18 USA
Mid-Ohio, July 1-2 USA
Toronto, July 15-16 PEACOCK
Iowa Race 1, July 22 NBC
Iowa Race 2, July 23 NBC
Nashville, August 5-6 NBC
Indy GP 2, August 12-13 USA
Gateway, August 26-27 NBC
Portland, September 2-3 NBC
Laguna Seca, September 9-10 NBC