SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Samurai Movies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samurai Movies Login/Join 
posted
My son got me a dvd of two Japanese movies for Christmas. Blade of the Immortal and 13 Assassins. I enjoyed them both. I had read about them somewhere. I think it was here. But I cannot find it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some similar films? Something available on DVD, I don't have any net flicks or things like that. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Akira Kurosawa is considered the master of samurai films. Look up his films, most notably things like Seven Samurai (start with this one!), Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress, Kagemusha, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Rashomon, and Ran.

Or, if you're wanting something more Westernized, there's always The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise, or the 1980s miniseries Shogun with Richard Chamberlain.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yojimbo and its sequel Sanjuro are a good place to start. If you liked 13 Assassins, you might enjoy Seven Samurai, which as you probably know was the basis for the western The Magnificent Seven. If you're a Star Wars fan, you might like the movie it was based on, The Hidden Fortress.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you'll probably recognize a number of Kurosawa's samurai stories. Several of them became the basis for later famous American films, such as:

The Magnificent Seven = Seven Samurai
Star Wars = The Hidden Fortress
A Fistful of Dollars = Yojimbo (Okay, technically Italian, but still became famous in America...)

And on the flip side, a few of Kurosawa's samurai films were based on famous Shakespearean works:

Ran = King Lear
Throne of Blood = Macbeth

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
The famous Kurosawa films are already mentioned.

If you want good fun, Lone Wolf and Cub series are good watches, as are Zatoichi films.

More reflective ones include Hari Kari (there are two versions. I prefer the B&W one), Samurai Rebellion (starring Toshiro Mifune).

A more recent one I really enjoyed was Twilight Samurai starring Hiroyuki Sanada who also played Ujio in Last Samurai.

I understand there is a Samurai version of Unforgiven, starring Ken Watanabe. I haven't found it, so no recommendation based on viewing experience.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
The famous Kurosawa films are already mentioned.

If you want good fun, Lone Wolf and Cub series are good watches, as are Zatoichi films.

More reflective ones include Hari Kari (there are two versions. I prefer the B&W one), Samurai Rebellion (starring Toshiro Mifune).

A more recent one I really enjoyed was Twilight Samurai starring Hiroyuki Sanada who also played Ujio in Last Samurai.

I understand there is a Samurai version of Unforgiven, starring Ken Watanabe. I haven't found it, so no recommendation based on viewing experience.

Lone Wolf and Cub was great!

I remember seeing the Watanabe version of Unforgiven. I think it was back when I was messing around with torants and such things. As I recall, I really liked it, but it pretty much followed Eastwood’s version scene-by-scene and line-by-line.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12349 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:

It's available for rent on Apple TV and Amazon. We watched it on Apple TV for $2.99. I think it shows up as Unforgiven (2013). The Japanese title is Yurusarezaru Mono. We liked it, although not as much as the Eastwood movie.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The Zatoichi series of movies are pretty damn good. You can find most for free on Youtube. I did buy a couple from Amazon Prime Video (in particular, the one about Zatoichi's sword).

Posts: 3954 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’d also suggest the movies about Miyamoto Musashi. It’s a trilogy. I thought the book was a bit better than the movies but still, you can’t talk about Samurai without factoring in the sword saint. I watched them a few months ago on HBOMax.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Good suggestions above, especially the Musashi trilogy.

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail. Very early Kurosawa, IIRC, his first after WW2.

Onibaba. Para posted about this movie years ago. A slow motion horror in the samurai period.

The Third Shadow Warrior. Slow motion horror in the samurai period.

Three Outlaw Samurai. A lot of fighting, a modicum of plot.

Shogun's Samurai. Sonny Chiba.

Shogun's Ninja. Sonny Chiba.

Hari Kari. I have not seen it but it gets good reviews.

The Great White Tiger Platoon, 1954. Tragedy of young samurai.

Five Men of Edo. I started this movie about five times and was interrupted every time...

47 Ronin, directed by Mizoguchi. An anti-war samurai film made during WW2. Mizoguchi was fortunate to have escaped punishment.

Sansho the Bailiff, directed by Mizoguchi. An anti-totalitarian film set in samurai period.

Ugetsu, directed by Mizoguchi. A dream set in the samurai period.

Ninja versus Mafia. Awful and unintentionally funny.

Ninja Gari. Not seen it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yes, There are some good movies/series out there.

I'd have to give Rurouni Kenshin the nod for being the most historically accurate.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Hara-kiri. A bit slow in the beginning, but well worth the wait.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I remember seeing the Watanabe version of Unforgiven. I think it was back when I was messing around with torants and such things. As I recall, I really liked it, but it pretty much followed Eastwood’s version scene-by-scene and line-by-line.

There is also a literal Japanese "Spaghetti Western" which is basically closing the circle that went from "Yoyimbo" to "A Fistful of Dollars" - "Sukiyaki Western Django" (2007) by Takashi Miike, the director of "13 Assassins". Set in a 19th century Japanese town named "Yuta", shot in English, and featuring a Gatling gun in a coffin and Quentin Tarantino. There's not much samurai, but as a movie it's hilarious in its re-remake metaness.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Personally I have always thought that this scene from 7 Samurai stands out as one of the best scenes in Samurai lore.

Not yet discussed in this thread, but I believe that Kill Bill should get at least a nod when it comes to Samurai related films.

This scene always stands out to me, in my opinion one of the most powerfully emotional and beautifully shot scenes ever...

O-Ren's apology is so sincere, and I've watched this movie dozens of times and just now noticed that her Katana does not have a hand guard.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12349 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
The Zatoichi series of movies are pretty damn good. You can find most for free on Youtube. I did buy a couple from Amazon Prime Video (in particular, the one about Zatoichi's sword).

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5xH-P0vGazs" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Or for a different take on this the version from Takeshi Kitano.

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall enjoying Heaven and Earth, though I only saw it the one time many years ago. More army/battle oriented than one on one IIRC.

Posts: 21122 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post