SIGforum
Best/Favorite Calvin and Hobbs

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7590062164

September 22, 2019, 06:14 PM
Loswsmith
Best/Favorite Calvin and Hobbs
Wanted to post this but didn't want to thread drift the Far Side thread of wonderfufness.

My favorite: Teacher: "Calvin, what's the capital of Poland?"

Calvin: "Krakow!"

Teacher looks nonplussed. "That's correct Calvin."

Calvin: "Krakow! Krakow! Two direct hits!"

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
September 22, 2019, 06:17 PM
Orguss
Least favorite is probably everyones: the last strip.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
September 22, 2019, 09:33 PM
cas

September 23, 2019, 12:11 AM
YooperSigs
As I previously posted: Tracer Bullet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 23, 2019, 01:59 AM
LastCubScout
This pretty much summed up how I used to play with my toy cars, as well as I currently watch Russian dash cam videos on YouTube...

September 23, 2019, 05:59 AM
l33571
cas nailed it. best one ever
September 23, 2019, 08:24 AM
erj_pilot
I always liked the ones with snowmen...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
September 23, 2019, 08:28 AM
gearhounds
Way too many choices to pick a favorite one. WAY too many.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
September 23, 2019, 01:27 PM
Keystoner
My bedroom as a child had a Peanuts theme. My mom loved them so I loved them. For the longest time I would say Peanuts was my favorite comic strip. Charles M. Schulz died the night before his final strip was published. It will always have a special place in my heart. But a few years ago I read through every single Calvin and Hobbes strip. Bill Watterson is a genius. There is no way I could pick a single favorite. But one I often first think of when asked these kind of questions (and I don't know how I would search for this particular strip) is one that tugged at my heart strings. Calvin pushed his mom's car down the driveway and it went into a ditch. He ran away with Hobbes. This story arc carried on over several strips. His mom finally found him hiding in a tree. She was urging him to come down but he said she first had to say that she loved him. Watterson found ways to put a little touching humanity in that strip. Calvin was that precocious little troublemaker but he was still a little boy who needed his mom's affection.

Year V
September 24, 2019, 10:57 AM
FN in MT
Tyrannosaurus Rex's in F-14's.

Spaceman Spiff.
September 24, 2019, 01:44 PM
LS1 GTO
Calven’s snowmen and women.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

September 24, 2019, 02:20 PM
sigfreund
In one cartoon Calvin asks his dad where their rifles are, and the father says they don’t have any. I took that as vaguely antigun, but I was reassured by another in which Calvin recites a poem that includes the lines,

“A can of Mace, a forty-five,
“Is all I’d need to stay alive.”

That’s the one I remember the best, but picking a favorite would be impossible. The entire series was my favorite, and I was always intrigued by the two names Calvin and Hobbes. Why those two from history?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 24, 2019, 03:13 PM
Orguss

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
September 24, 2019, 03:28 PM
Ryanp225
Calvin and Hobbes is one of my sweetest memories from my childhood and my most favorite comic ever written. I own every book and have read them many, many times save for the last book. I've never been able to bring myself to read it because as long as I refrain there is no end and I can hold onto that one last stitch of my childhood. Smile
September 24, 2019, 03:44 PM
senza nome
Aren't any of you guys old enough to remember Pogo? Razz
September 24, 2019, 03:49 PM
YooperSigs
Yep. Pogo. "We have met the enemy and he is us".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 25, 2019, 08:30 AM
Keystoner
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Calvin and Hobbes is one of my sweetest memories from my childhood and my most favorite comic ever written. I own every book and have read them many, many times save for the last book. I've never been able to bring myself to read it because as long as I refrain there is no end and I can hold onto that one last stitch of my childhood. Smile

I completely empathize with this. I did the same thing. I waited the longest time to read the last book because I knew there wouldn't be any more to follow. I had seen the final strip before, but still when I got to it in that last book, I was sad.

Year V
September 25, 2019, 09:18 AM
Georgeair
Those are all good. One of my favorites was the 4-6 day set of panels when he rolled the car into the ditch. Hobbs' line in last frame of this opening one was classic.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

September 25, 2019, 09:19 AM
George43
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Yep. Pogo. "We have met the enemy and he is us".

"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,

Walla Walla, Wash, an' Kalamazoo"!

"Nora's freezin' on the trolley,

Swaller dollar cauliflower alley'garoo"!

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.
September 26, 2019, 08:11 PM
egregore

There are plenty of others, notably the various "dad polls," snowmen, running away from home to Canada, the broken binoculars, the cereal box propeller beanie, and so much more. Smile