SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    We lost Commander Cody...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We lost Commander Cody... Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
George Frayne, better known as the leader of Commander Cody And The Lost Planet Airmen, has died

George Frayne, a.k.a. Commander Cody, leader of country rockers Commander Cody And The Lost Planet Airmen, has died at the age of 77. He had been battling cancer.

The news was confirmed on Frayne's Facebook page by his wife, Sue Casanova, who wrote:

"Early this morning
As I lay my head upon his shoulder
George’s soul took to flight
I am heartbroken and weary
And I know your hearts break too
Thank you so much for all the love you gave
And the stories you shared."

The post continued, confirming that a pair of events would be organized to celebrate Frayne's life.

Frayne was born in Boise, Idaho, in 1944 and formed Commander Cody And The Lost Planet Airmen in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1967. He gave himself the stage name Commander Cody after being inspired by the character Commando Kody, King of the Rocket Men, who appeared in the American 1951 science fiction film Lost Planet Airmen.

The Lost Planet Airmen took country music and infused it with boogie woogie, rock'n'roll, rhythm and blues, western swing and jazz to create a sound that placed them amongst the first bands to give a counter-cultural twist to the Nashville sound. They were perhaps best known for their 1972 hit Hot Rod Lincoln, a cover of a 1960 hit by singer/songwriter Charlie Ryan.

"We really liked [our sound] and we played that kind of music until we were booed off stage at the CMA Convention in 1973," Frayne told Seattle PI in 2013. "In which case we decided that, well, if these guys are going to treat us like this, we're not going to do their music anymore. Because their attitude was, 'Who are these hippies? Take a bath, find a rock concert, et cetera, et cetera.'

"That was the end of our interest in country and western swing. The people from Texas found out that I wasn't from Texas and they thought that I was stealing their music and they didn't get it."

Signed to Paramount Records in 1971, the band opened for the Grateful Dead and released several albums in the first half of the 1970s, including Lost in the Ozone, Cold Steel & Truckers Favorites, and 1975's Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, all of which hit the Billboard Top 100.

Cody released his first solo album, Midnight Man, in 1977, and subsequently released albums and toured under a variety of names including Commander Cody and His Modern Day Airmen and Commander Cody and His Western Airmen. Later, he became an artist and taught at University of Michigan.

"I smoke a lot of marijuana and it's really easy to change your groove around when you're stoned," he told Seattle PI. "I especially enjoy painting while I'm stoned, and I keep doing that until this very day. On the other hand, I don't smoke weed at rock and roll gigs anymore, whatsoever, because I've been more interested in remembering all the words for the song. Don't forget I'm an old geezer. I can't afford to forget the words."

https://www.loudersound.com/ne...nder-cody-dead-at-77

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Commander thank you for your tunes!

…Smoke smoke smoke that cigarette
Puff puff puff
And if you smoke yourself to death
Tell St Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette….

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Commander. One of my favorites from the band's heyday was "Mama Hated Diesels".

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"My foot was glued like lead to the floor, thats all there is, there aint no more"! RIP.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sung the world's saddest song...

"Down to seeds and stems again"

Found a much better version of it by the late Nicolette Larson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAd-U6CYjIw

Damn, I think this is gonna drive me to drink'n...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I love those hippie, country bands from that era.

So long, Commander Cody.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Saw him a couple of times in the early 70's when I lived in Michigan. Fun times.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Lost In The Ozone Again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heK8QjhWGag

Brings back memories of Ann Arbor and Mr. Flood's Party, a now defunct bar on Liberty Street where the Commander performed early in his career.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe at one point, Bill Kirchen was their lead guitar player. Bill is an amazing guitarist and still does a lot of their songs including Hot Rod Lincoln.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post