SIGforum
Magnificent Seven -- Which Do You Prefer?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7460061954

July 29, 2019, 02:45 PM
Anubismp
Magnificent Seven -- Which Do You Prefer?
The original, by a mile. I found the new one to be completely unlikable (except Haley Bennett, for immoral reasons) but I'm not a fan of Fuquas movies. I wonder if I'd have liked it if it had a different director?
July 29, 2019, 04:35 PM
RichN
As much as I like the original (I haven't seen the remake), one scene always strikes me as extremely stupid. When Chris is testing Chico by clapping his hands, what exactly is he trying to test? In the type of battle they should be anticipating, draw speed would have very little bearing on the outcome. Accuracy and reloading speed would be much more important. Is there something more mental being tested? Is he judging his character based on how he handles failing the test?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
July 29, 2019, 05:37 PM
AllenInAR
I think he was just trying to prove a point in a manner the wannabe gunfighter would understand.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
July 30, 2019, 09:39 AM
Expert308
The original 1960 version, definitely. Return of the Seven was pretty good as sequels go, but nobody could ever really replace Yul Brynner in the lead role.
August 01, 2019, 10:22 AM
LtJL
As usual, I find myself forced to agree with Shugart: The Seven Samurai is the original, and still the greatest.
August 01, 2019, 01:33 PM
Jim Shugart
^ ^ ^ … a man of refined teste and excellent judgement. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw