SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    actor Richard Dreyfuss slams the Oscars' new woke requirements
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

actor Richard Dreyfuss slams the Oscars' new woke requirements Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Academy Award-winning actor Richard Dreyfuss has slammed the Oscars' new diversity and inclusion requirements and said 'they make me vomit'.

Films will have to meet minimum requirements related to representation and inclusion to be eligible for the best picture award under new rules.

The Academy of Motion Picture will disqualify films from Best Picture contention that do not have enough black, gay and disabled actors in the cast and crew from 2024.

But Jaws star Dreyfuss, 75, hit out at the woke rules during an episode of PBS’ Firing Line, which aired on Friday, and claimed the Academy was treating people like children by implementing the new criteria.

The actor also defended Laurence Olivier’s performance in the 1965 film Othello in which he played the lead character in blackface. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12055873

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“Academy Award-winning actor Richard Dreyfuss has slammed the Oscars' new diversity and inclusion requirements and said 'they make me vomit'.

Films will have to meet minimum requirements related to representation and inclusion to be eligible for the best picture award under new rules.

The Academy of Motion Picture will disqualify films from Best Picture contention that do not have enough black, gay and disabled actors in the cast and crew from 2024.

But Jaws star Dreyfuss, 75, hit out at the woke rules during an episode of PBS’ Firing Line, which aired on Friday, and claimed the Academy was treating people like children by implementing the new criteria.

The actor also defended Laurence Olivier’s performance in the 1965 film Othello in which he played the lead character in blackface. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12055873
"Is someone else being told that if they’re not Jewish, they shouldn’t play The Merchant of Venice? 'Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art? This is so patronizing. It’s so, it’s so thoughtless, and treating people like children.'"

A clear head in the clouds.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
'You can’t legislate that. You have to let life be life and I’m sorry, I don’t think there is a minority or majority in the country that has to be catered to like that.

Just came to that realization Hooper?!?
Does this apply to affirmative action?
How about the DEI/ESG policies that your financial manager is supports?
Shit like this has been sliding along for the last several decades, with it really hitting speed in 2020...Johnny Come Lately

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
...Johnny Come Lately

Better late than never.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
<snip>
Just came to that realization Hooper?!?
<snip>

Maybe Hoover rather than Hooper.

And I think it was Dreyfuss‘a utterance, rather than Hoover’s.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Dreyfuss is a very interesting Hollywood guy, I've followed some of his youtube clips for a few years, so this latest opinion of his doesn't surprise me in the least. Several things- he is no longer a Democrat, hasn't been one for years, but he is also not a Republican; he calls himself "an American". He was once on Piers Morgan and surprised him by stating on camera that the NRA were heroes, for keeping safe marksmanship alive in the country. He also once praised the Tea Party for wanting to return the country back to the principles of the Constitution. He is opposed to draconian govt intervention and surveillance on its citizens (reason he stopped supporting Obama), opposed to suppressing free speech, and has been opposed to woke policies for years, advocating right to privacy and individual accountability.

His passion in life is the extreme importance of American Civics, bringing it back into the classroom, teaching the U.S. Constitution, the Independence of Declaration, and the principles of the Founding Fathers. He has been on talk shows, Tucker, Glenn Beck, conferences, sits on boards, etc. to spread his vision. His passion is so great, years ago, he created a non-profit org, The Dreyfuss Civics Initiative, dedicated to his vision that civics become one the most important classes in K-12 public schools. Regardless of his past political opinions, the man truly loves America as it was founded, and is doing more for this country than 99% of Hollywood.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Apparently, tv rarings for the Oscars weren’t declining quite fast enough.

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I pay so little attention to what Hollywood types say, I wasn't aware of Dreyfuss' views on such things. It's good to hear, though. Bravo.

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating, I had no idea I'd ever appreciate something that came from Richard Dreyfuss.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, that's officially the end of his career in Hollywood, just like James Woods.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
So, Blazing Saddles has a chance! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Good on him. He is right..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Real talk in 2023? Holy shit. Good on you Richard, and we just had a thread started by a forum member questioning his roles and films in which I spoke up for him before this. Give this man a cigar. He did a podcast thing that’s an hour with Bill Maher recently. Yeah I already know about Bill but would be interesting to see what he said on that as well as that Bill guy certainly is fucking tired of woke and says so often.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Oscars' new diversity and inclusion requirements..

So a movie like Letters from Iwo Jima couldn't win an award because it doesn't have enough black / gay characters in it? Big Grin

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure British TV has been doing this for the last couple of years...

I've noticed a lot of inter-racial relationships regardless of the time period and a good number of recent shows like sister Bonnieface have handy capped actors in them. Same with Shakespeare and Hathaway.... they even had one where the main visiting character had a speech impediment and you could hardly understand what she was saying.

But you know what they will probably do with Dreyfuss?

"Tie him to a car and drag him..."

(Line direct at Dreyfuss by Bo Hopkins, one of the Pharaohs in American Graffiti, for those too young here)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
...And the winner for the 2024 Oscar award for best picture goes to:

Bud Light - The Movie !!!

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm pretty sure British TV has been doing this for the last couple of years...

Been going on about a couple of decades now.
Lots of box checking when it comes to casting choices and rolls.
US network television over the last five years, nearly every legal show or, cop procedural 50% of the cast is women and half the rolls where it's a 'position of authority' are played by women or, a 'minority' character. In most comedies, the male character is the butt of the jokes or, receives the most burning of come-backs/skewering/scorn. If the main male character is a white man, they're usually a stereotype: large, oafish and set-in-their-ways or, a skinny-jean, metro type that wouldn't know which end of the hammer to hold.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Academy has lost any tiny shred of credibility that it may have once had.

Posts: 775 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post