SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
quote:
Wife got me Ready Player One for Christmas.
Been looking forward to reading it, after hearing it's much better than the movie, which I also have enjoyed.

A bit over 50% through the book. Very different to the movie, hard to not picture/read in the characters as they are in the film.

Finished RP1, I get why some of it was changed for the movie, to cut out what would be pretty 'boring' footage.
Will be starting Ready Player 2 next.

I was a HUGE fan of Ready Player One, but was let down quite a bit by the sequel. It wasn’t bad but the bar was set really high by the original.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Restarted The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

The originals by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? I didn't like the novels as much as I loved the short stories. The earlier collections (to me) were more interesting than the final stories, but maybe I need to go back and re-read the later stories.

Pair them with the Jeremy Brett TV episodes, which were largely faithful to the source material, and you're in for a treat.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The Confession by John Grisham

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wife got me Ready Player One for Christmas.
Been looking forward to reading it, after hearing it's much better than the movie, which I also have enjoyed.

A bit over 50% through the book. Very different to the movie, hard to not picture/read in the characters as they are in the film.

Finished RP1, I get why some of it was changed for the movie, to cut out what would be pretty 'boring' footage.
Will be starting Ready Player 2 next.

I was a HUGE fan of Ready Player One, but was let down quite a bit by the sequel. It wasn’t bad but the bar was set really high by the original.

Feeling that same way. About 75% through RP2 & it's definitely not as good as the first.
Some of the alphabet soup thrown in there, too Roll Eyes

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

...I just finished Daniel Silva's latest, Portrait of an Unknown Woman...Silva's depicts Gabriel Allon on his first "adventure" after retiring as Director of the "Office"....

Just finished Silva's The Black Widow and it was (no surprise at all) great. I've read a few of the outstanding Gabriel Allon series, all in paperback, I've printed out a list to ensure I read them all. We travel a lot and they're even better when I've visited the locale.

Here's a list (in order) that ends July 2022:

https://www.fictiondb.com/seri...aniel-silva~4118.htm

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:

Feeling that same way. About 75% through RP2 & it's definitely not as good as the first.
Some of the alphabet soup thrown in there, too Roll Eyes

Finished RP2, the last few chapters were redeeming, and much better than the bulk of the book.

On to Memory's Legion , the Expanse short story/novella collection.
About 1/4-1/3 through it.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Just finished Silva's The Black Widow and it was (no surprise at all) great. I've read a few of the outstanding Gabriel Allon series, all in paperback, I've printed out a list to ensure I read them all. We travel a lot and they're even better when I've visited the locale.

When you finish the Allon series, Silva wrote two good books pre-Allon, The Mark of the Assassin and The Marching Season. The lead character is Michael Osborne, still with the CIA in the first, and then not in the second. You can easily see Allon's character developing as Osborne. Ari Shamron is also present, though in slightly different character, also Adrian Carter at the CIA.

I use the Fantastic Fiction web site for getting author's books in order, plus a good short synopsis of each. It is a very easy to navigate site.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just started book 1 of the Sandhahm Murders by Swedish author Viveca Sten. Takes place on the island of Sandhahm in the archipelago of Stockholm. Very good and interesting so far!

I think there are nine in the series.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Reading "Witch Hunter, The Mathias Thulmann Trilogy" from the Warhammer Chronicles series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Shoe Dog, Phil Knight’s autobiography. This was a Christmas gift from my daughter, and it’s an incredible story of Knight’s business on the verge of default for years, primarily because the demand for the shoes they made was growing exponentially and any money made was being plowed into increased orders and the business, leaving no reserve whenever anything went wrong. The company faced bankruptcy repeatedly. Not bad at all.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished Heat 2. It was pretty good.

Back to finish Semper Fi, by WEB Griffin.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
On to Memory's Legion , the Expanse short story/novella collection.
About 1/4-1/3 through it.

Finished this one. Good, apart from being a bit lost on the last couple stories that come from the final 3 books timeline.

On to the book my wife wrote, that she's been on me to read for a while. Found software to convert it to Kindle format, so that's easier than 8.5x11 sheets of paper.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I read "One Second After", many here have probably read it. I was talking to a neighbor and he mentioned it and then recommended "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel. I would never have guessed Koppel wrote this, not much liberal stuff. This was written in 2016, probably could be updated but still a good read.

He interviews several people about their preparedness for a catastrophe, in the case of the book the electrical grid goes down. I've lived in Utah for 18 years, know some about the Mormons but did not know about their preparedness, those two chapters were worth it to me.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished Semper Fi, and am on to Mine Were of Trouble, about the Spanish Civil War.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy. I've been reading the Clancy books in order of publication. In your opinion, should I read them in chronological order?

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1215 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

When you finish the Allon series, Silva wrote two good books pre-Allon, The Mark of the Assassin and The Marching Season. The lead character is Michael Osborne, still with the CIA in the first, and then not in the second. You can easily see Allon's character developing as Osborne. Ari Shamron is also present, though in slightly different character, also Adrian Carter at the CIA.

I use the Fantastic Fiction web site for getting author's books in order, plus a good short synopsis of each. It is a very easy to navigate site.

Just finished "The Kill Artist", off to the "The English Assassin", now hooked. lol I read a lot of series between some good non fiction, must follow 6 series, now

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've been back to the fairly mindless and easy reading of Stone Barrington books by Stuart Woods. Good stories and fast moving. Just started #13 in the series and now making a point to read them in order. I've read some of the more recent ones and I can now see where some of the later things come from.

There are more than 60 if you can believe that! Prolific writer! And he has several other series of books too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I would, yes. Did, actually.
quote:
Originally posted by lithog:
The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy. I've been reading the Clancy books in order of publication. In your opinion, should I read them in chronological order?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

While scanning our library's digital catalog, I spotted an author I was not familiar with, Ben Coes. He has a series of 9 novels built around the character, Dewey Andreas, a former Delta. Lots of action, and a very good and fast moving read.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Bailed on the Spanish Civil War (for now), and am on Hope To Die, #15 in the Matt Scudder series by Lawrence Block.

Phone's ringing, Dude.