SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "June 28th 1974 - A Rogue Great White Shark Killed Its First Victim"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"June 28th 1974 - A Rogue Great White Shark Killed Its First Victim" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
"HOOPER!!! STARBOARD!!!! AINT YEE WATCHIN' IT?!!!"

Big Robert Shaw fan. Great performance in Jaws.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I almost got up and walked out after the first 5 minutes or so... when it started crunching on that college girl...

Robert Shaw's 5 minute dialogue about the Indianapolis is one of the best scenes ever in a movie.... that and later the line from Roy Schneider:
"I think we need a bigger boat."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

The actual line was “you’re gonna need a bigger boat,” the implication being “and I’m not saying ‘we’ because I’m not coming back with you.”

Like “Luke, I am your father,” which was actually “no, I am your father,” this is one of those lines everyone misremembers as “I think we’re gonna need a bigger boat.” It’s so common as to be the culturally accepted line.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How timely, was just on Martha's Vineyard today seeing some of the locations where the movie was filmed.

Posts: 678 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I remember the big scare for people who saw it at the theater was this scene:

Even though I know it's coming, I still jump at the reveal.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there were the bumper stickers to follow the movie - "Get even, eat fish".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

The actual line was “you’re gonna need a bigger boat,” the implication being “and I’m not saying ‘we’ because I’m not coming back with you.”

Like “Luke, I am your father,” which was actually “no, I am your father,” this is one of those lines everyone misremembers as “I think we’re gonna need a bigger boat.” It’s so common as to be the culturally accepted line.

Play it again Sam.Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Hope that this isn't meant as a derail but they have a hilarious parody of Jaws using a black cat edited perfectly in some of the famous scenes. See dsiets post almost at the bottom of page. Big Grin "CLAWS"

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...5/m/7920086772/p/451

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I didnt see it till a couple of years later so I was still swimming in the ocean.
I know the great white is a ferocious predator, but the tiger shark is worse I think.

Did anyone watch The Meg? Some good references to Jaws.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I didnt see it till a couple of years later so I was still swimming in the ocean.
I know the great white is a ferocious predator, but the tiger shark is worse I think.

Did anyone watch The Meg? Some good references to Jaws.

The many years of being in the water here in Florida and surfing both coasts, the most feared is the Bull Shark. Actually if I remember (and thats doubtful) I think that the original story around the movie Jaws was inspired by the tragic Bull Shark attacks in a river or creek up there in 1916.

Was a great white the culprit of the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks?

"Some experts believe that the shark was actually a bull shark, not a great white. Taking into account the Matawan Creek bites, bull sharks are much more likely to venture into freshwater rivers and creeks, while great whites usually stick to the ocean. Bull sharks have the unique ability to function normally in salt, fresh, and brackish water." -PeterBenchley.com

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Worst scene was the kid on the rubber raft getting eaten. Because that was about how old I was when I saw the movie (f'in brother and sister shouldn't have taken me) and riding those rubber rafts was how I would spend my entire day when we went to the beach. Took me years before I would get much past knee deep after seeing that movie.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I too believe Jaws was inspired by the Bull shark attack in the Matawan Creek.

There was a Shark Week rating and I believe the top 2 were Bull and Tiger. The Great White fell into 3rd.

The survivors of the Indianapolis sinking were killed by Tiger sharks at least according to Quint.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The year that came out I was dating a girl who was working at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio. After dinner we decided to go see a movie on the "mainland". Rather than drive over, we took the ferry across the bay. When we went in it was still light, but full night had fallen by the time we came out. We still had that ferry ride to look forward to. There was virtually no one on the boat and we were the only couple on the stern. We heard the water lapping and the engine idling. It did not make a bit of difference that we were on fresh water. It was the longest 15 minutes you could imagine, listening to the silence and waiting to hear the hull hitting something that would cause us to sink. OH, GOD, WE'RE GOING TO DIE"

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My mom likes to tell the story of how she had to nearly drag me into the ocean the first time.

Was that same year, I think. I wanted no part of it at first.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually watched Jaws 2 last night. It had been a long time since I had seen it, so it was fun watching.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post