SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’ - Never before seen 70mm footage restored from recently found archives
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’ - Never before seen 70mm footage restored from recently found archives Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
This looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpLrp0SW8yg

https://www.indiewire.com/2019...umentary-1202039153/

‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’

Todd Douglas Miller's digital restoration of never-before-seen NASA footage aims to put conspiracy theorists in line.

Even though Damien Chazelle’s “First Man” didn’t impress Oscar voters, it reignited a sense of wonder in cinephiles, reminding viewers of the sheer magnitude of the incredible moment in 1969 when Neil Armstrong first set foot on the moon. Fifty years later, a documentary just as unbelievable in scope will revive that historic moment for audiences, including those who experienced it and those who have only heard tales.

Filmmaker Todd Douglas Miller’s “Apollo 11” is made up of pristine, unprocessed, never-before-seen 70mm footage that was recently discovered in the National Archives, as well as 11,000 hours of uncatalogued NASA audio recordings. Miller and his team then went about digitizing the raw material, creating an 8k transfer that the director has called “the highest quality digital collection of Apollo 11 footage in existence.”

In his review of the film out if Sundance, IndieWire critic David Ehrlich wrote, specifically of the newly-restored 65mm footage: “The clarity takes your breath away, and it does so in the blink of an eye; your body will react to it before your brain has time to process why, after a lifetime of casual interest, you’re suddenly overcome by the sheer enormity of what it meant to leave the Earth and land somewhere else.”

Indie distributor Neon acquired international distribution rights to the film last summer, which was announced on the 49th anniversary of the 1969 landing of the Apollo 11 on the moon by mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin. “Apollo 11” is the second film distribution collaboration between Neon and CNN Films. The first was the documentary “Three Identical Strangers,” a feature-length documentary about triplets separated at birth and then reunited as adults.

“Apollo 11” premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2019. For a look at the stunning digital restoration that has critics wowed, check out the newly released trailer for “Apollo 11” below.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
The footage in that trailer looks fantastic. So clean and clear.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ThT is so cool!!! I’m in. Makes me stand in awe of these guys and gals and of my dad who was assigned there and worked on some of the equipment while in the USAF.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Well they still have the stage in Area 51 where it was originally filmed...... Wink

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to believe that anyone would have voluntarily got on that rocket. It would’ve seemed like a suicide mission. Getting there? Maybe, but safely getting back to earth? Even with today’s technology there are so many things that could go wrong. I would have passed on that mission.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Amazing what turns up as “recently found”.
How about the Ark of the Covenant?

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Watching "First Man" where Neil's wife wigged out and called them (I forget exactly but essentially) boys with toys, -- I have a hard time disagreeing wit her. Fantastic bravery. Bordering on madness. That's how you get to be the first human on another heavenly body.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I'll see this if it plays here.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
It’s hard to believe that anyone would have voluntarily got on that rocket. It would’ve seemed like a suicide mission. Getting there? Maybe, but safely getting back to earth? Even with today’s technology there are so many things that could go wrong. I would have passed on that mission.

When I was young I went to Space Camp. One of the speakers that came to give a presentation was Gene Cernan, who has the distinction of being the last man on the moon. We watched the video of the crew boarding the rocket, during which you see one of the astronauts kind of side step a bit before he is assisted into the capsule by the ground crew.

"That was me," Cernan said. "I wasn't kidding. I suddenly realized they were about to stick me on top of a gigantic rocket full of high explosives, light it on fire, and launch me into space. Suddenly it didn't seem like such a great idea anymore. It all worked out okay though." That is quoted from 30 year old memory banks, but I'm pretty sure its still spot on. Cernan made a huge impression on me that day.

Those old school astronauts were something else.

I hope this plays somewhere near me. I'll be in line for the first showing even if I have to take a day off work.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
But but the moon landing was fake! And the Earth is flat!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
We just wasted money last weekend on First Man with Ryan Goober. This looks a whole lot better.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Opens this Friday, March 1!

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...-a-five-star-triumph

Apollo 11 review – eye-opening documentary is a five-star triumph

An exceptional, vibrant restoration of never-before-seen footage results in one of the most astounding films about space ever made

The documentary Apollo 11 starts, as the famous mission did, in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Trucks ferry massive rocket props, machinery grinds as it would in any construction zone, the sky is a crystal blue. The scene is, in a word, vibrant – so startlingly alive that for the first few minutes, I wasn’t sure if I was watching footage from 1969 or a Nasa promo shot from last year.

That present-ness is one of the film’s major feats, credit due to director Todd Douglas Miller, who has found a brilliant way to portray the first moon landing by doing nothing more than the gargantuan task of faithfully rejuvenating the historical record. The documentary is seamless curation of archival work; Miller and his team, in partnership with Nasa and the National Archives, sifted through 11,000 hours of uncatalogued audio and restored reams of original film, including hyper-detail 70mm footage that languished in the archives, boxed up and forgotten, since 1969. The result is a stunning project of historical preservation – no narration, no cutaway interviews, no recreations, just original material synced with some music and the occasional diagram.

Apollo 11 arrives early in the mission’s 50th anniversary year, which means the significance of the nation’s space program, from JFK’s promise to put a man on the moon to the famous television broadcast of Neil Armstrong’s first steps, will be under review. Already, the Apollo missions have proved fertile territory for filmmakers; Damien Chazelle’s Armstrong biopic, First Man, offered a deeply studied take on the astronaut and his time in space, while documentaries such as Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes of Apollo combined archives with present-day interviews. Both set a steep goal of bringing an event so entrenched and replicated in the American cultural lexicon to life; so it’s a bit ironic that the filmmakers of the all-archive Apollo 11, who step so far back in 1969 as to be nearly invisible, achieve it.

The 93-minute film is anchored by four pivotal moments in the Apollo 11 mission: lift-off, landing the Eagle lunar module on the moon, reconnecting Eagle with the Columbia spacecraft to return home, and re-entry into Earth’s atmosphere. We already know the outcome of these risks, and yet the sequences are still mesmerizing. With a score that ranges from swelling orchestra to a single thump, thump, thump of a heartbeat, coupled with stitches of headset and Mission Control recordings, the movie’s technical spacecraft scenes are less suspense baits than genuinely moving, hypnotic odes to teamwork.

The film’s emotional power, however, comes not in the documentation of astronauts in space (though that is, of course, undeniably arresting, even half a century on), but in the absolutely incredible footage of the crowds who watched the launch from Earth. Miller’s team meticulously restored wide-lens footage, taken by Nasa’s team on the morning of 16 July, of the nearly 1 million people who gathered on the shores of Florida to watch the take-off; the result is a luminous portal into another, more bouffanted America, one far away, with its old cars and outdated Penney’s logo, but with familiar parking lot parties.

The Apollo 11 mission looms so large in American lore – “one small step for man,” you can fill in the rest – that it seems like a tremendous act of respect on behalf of the film-makers to ground the nine-day mission in its quotidian, idiosyncratic, and sometimes (in the case of the astronauts’ press tour) hammy moments. Apollo 11 juxtaposes massive feats of scale – groundbreaking engineering, built with thousands of minds in cooperation – with mid-century modern ketchup packets and outdated bathing caps. That Miller’s film allows you, without commentary, to make meaning of these contrasts — the whole of Earth in one shot, a parking lot PB&J snack shack in another – feels like a radical act of trust.

I keep waiting to find a fault with Apollo 11, as I usually have to do with things I love at first glance. And while there are legitimate criticisms of America’s space program, it’s hard to argue with a film that defers so humbly to the primary source material. There’s a deep pleasure, especially now, in immersive historical voyeurism, in the illusion that we can transcend the limitations of our own time and understand another collective experience. And there’s something deeply kind in letting the archives stand on their own, of giving the evidence we have of what happened in July 1969 the space to breathe. Perhaps it’s that space – a record of people and incredulity and intense focus, without talking heads or hyperbole – that’s the great humanizing force of Apollo 11.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Hoping this comes out on a 4k disc with Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
not playing here yet [ justwatch ]

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I believe this video was posted before on SF but given the subject of this thread I feel it's appropriate to post again. This is extreme slow motion video of the Apollo 11 launch from a 16mm camera on the pad. I just find it completely fascinating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW7ZqtW5U4

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Does it have the "Good Luck Mr. Gorski" quote from Armstrong?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That looks like it would be interesting to watch, but might bring the conspiracy theorists out in force again.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Just FYI guys - limited release on Friday.

Worldwide release on March 9th.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
NASA footage aims to put conspiracy theorists in line.

The only people that don’t believe we walked on the moon are these idiots. The same retards that believe in Sasquatch, chemtrails, and alien anal probings.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
unlike 'First Man', this looks to be worth watching

the last movie I ever saw in a theater was Titanic

I'll make an exception for this one

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post