SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Electra-Glide in Blue (1973)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electra-Glide in Blue (1973) Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Starring Robert (Baretta) Blake, was just on TCM. I forgot how much I enjoyed this old film - especially picking out the members of Chicago and Nick Nolte in the crowd scenes.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Never saw the movie but the title inspired a song by Apollo 440:

https://youtu.be/QRI548QaGVc

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a great film, very underrated, and little known these days. I have great memories about this film.

I was in the little town of Many, Louisiana on grandpa's farm. One of the older guys there (all of 16 years old) loved the film so much, he had already seen it twice and was taking me to see it the next day at the only movie theater in town. He told me about the entire film- at least, his adolescent country boy interpretation of what is actually a film with much deeper meanings than what appears on the screen- so, before I saw the film, I knew quite a bit about it, including that memorable ending. I was 12, I think, and didn't know enough to object to the spoiler.

It's mind-blowing for me to realize this was almost 50 years ago.

Small towns back then, well, things were a bit less formal in certain ways. When this song played in the film, a man and woman got up from their seats and slow danced in front of the stage. When they sat back down, there was a smattering of applause. I haven't thought about any of this in a long time. The nostalgia is almost painful.

The Moonglows made this tune a hit, but the version in the film is The Marcels, which I prefer.

And then, there's Wintergreen's two-tone Colt Python.

Anyway, Electra Glide in Blue was made during that incredible period in American cinema, from about 1967 to 1974, a time in movie-making that will never come again.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, Electra Glide in Blue was made during that incredible period in American cinema, from about 1967 to 1974, a time in movie-making that will never come again.

True words. This film, along with Easy Rider (1969) which shares a similar ending, were seminal films of the period, both displaying the counter-culture revolution that was taking place while other Americans were still dying in Vietnam. Both had their effect upon me, along with the nightly news bulletins from SE Asia. It's crazy to think how long ago this all was.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post