SIGforum
Epic Concerts and Venues

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6860060584

September 14, 2021, 01:21 PM
HRK
Epic Concerts and Venues
Yeah, Epic used that term LOL Concerts that remain as examples of life where people gathered, drank, rocked and were piled on top of each other for the sake of Rock n Roll....

AC/DC Live at River Plate Argentina -massive crowd plenty of bands say Argentinian crowds are insane

September 14, 2021, 01:36 PM
slyguy
Zowsa - that's a lot of people.

While I've been fortunate enough to take in many a show I much prefer the smaller venues as I age.

I miss it all so much. Most bands have bypassed the West coast or will only play the larger arenas in big cities.

Cheers~
September 14, 2021, 01:48 PM
CoolRich59
Don't know about music, but when it comes to football (soccer), Argentinians are off the charts.

My d-i-l is from Argentina. Her family follows River Plate. They've told me that when River plays their rivals, Boca Juniors, the fans are separated into different sections of the stadium with barriers in place to keep the fans from getting at each other.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
September 14, 2021, 02:19 PM
Pyker
Wembley UK.

September 14, 2021, 02:37 PM
TMats
We saw Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall in 2017, that’s a pretty special place. Red Rocks is a great venue too.

Epic concerts. I’ve seen a bunch of them: Stones, The Who, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Merle Haggard, Jones and Wynette…many more

September 15, 2021, 04:26 AM
46and2
Red Rocks is a near perfecf venue and a glorious experience.
September 15, 2021, 08:43 AM
Pale Horse
I saw Tool at a venue called The Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2001. It was their first of four small shows in the US before they launched their worldwide arena tour. The Tabernacle holds around 2500 people and is well known as being one of the best venues in Atlanta. I have seen several shoes there and all of them were good but that Tool show was by far the best.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
September 15, 2021, 12:20 PM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I saw Tool at a venue called The Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2001. It was their first of four small shows in the US before they launched their worldwide arena tour. The Tabernacle holds around 2500 people and is well known as being one of the best venues in Atlanta. I have seen several shoes there and all of them were good but that Tool show was by far the best.

Tab is the best venue in the city. I've seen so many great shows there.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
September 15, 2021, 01:55 PM
tlbailey1
Most "epic" concerts & venues that I've personally attended, probably DMB at the Gorge Amphitheatre when I was in college.

And the most insane, was Rage Against the Machine for their Evil Empire tour at the Old Idaho Penitentiary way back when I was in high school, some 25 years ago. It was packed and you're in the yard and they played Bulls on a Parade, the place went nuts!

September 15, 2021, 02:25 PM
DanH
Tushino Airfield, Moscow, Russia - September 28th, 1991

September 15, 2021, 06:08 PM
TMats
Another great venue was Ebbets Field in downtown Denver in the 70s. It was a 250 seat concert bar and an incredible place for live music. I thought about it because I’m watching the Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary, If I Leave Here Tomorrow , and I saw them at Ebbets when they came out to tour “pronounced.” I don’t know how many of you saw Skynyrd live, but chances are it wasn’t in a small venue like this. Saw lots of great music there.

September 15, 2021, 10:06 PM
Redhookbklyn
Madison Square Garden in the 70’s.

Pink Floyd, Animals, Elton John w/ John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Wings, and so many other great shows.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

September 16, 2021, 02:31 AM
dry-fly
The last Texas Jam in Dallas was pretty impressive. I was 18 and there for the whole day. The stadium was packed as well as the entire football field.. only free space was the end zone where the stage was setup. At one point the people on the football field got in a food fight with the people in the stadium seating area…had to have been the worlds biggest food fight.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
September 16, 2021, 07:46 AM
stickman428
One of my favorite venues, The Abyss in Virginia Beach was memorable because it wasn’t big. It was a bit of a dump honestly but it had a lowered section in front of the stage that became a wild mosh pit. There was a raised section overlooking the “pit” and a second story above that. I’ll never forget the mayhem of that pit during a late 90’s Fat Wreck Chords tour and watching the less wild people in our group bug out when the whole section went wild.

At one point towards the end of a show a few people climbed off the railing of the 2nd story onto a wall of speakers and jumped down onto the stage then into the crowd. They shut that down pretty quickly. It was one of the wildest concerts I ever attended. Goldfinger, Mad Caddies and Zebrahead were bands that put on a hell of a show there. I saw Goldfinger twice there and noticed the second time their music had declined and they became more political. Peta shit was everywhere and lots of people were mocking it. Big Grin The Abyss was demolished in the early 2000’s.

The Boathouse in Norfolk VA was another fun but small venue in that area that attracted some incredible bands. Chevelle, Powerman5000 and Static X all put on a VERY FUN show there. Sadly the Boathouse has also been demolished.

I don’t really care for the huge concerts, to me they are not as fun. I went to the Vans Warped Tour and Fm99’s Lunatic Luau at VA Beach many times and while they were enjoyable and attracted a much larger crowd they didn’t have the same vibe as a smaller venue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
September 16, 2021, 12:25 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
One of my favorite venues, The Abyss in Virginia Beach was memorable because it wasn’t big. It was a bit of a dump honestly but it had a lowered section in front of the stage that became a wild mosh pit. There was a raised section overlooking the “pit” and a second story above that. I’ll never forget the mayhem of that pit during a late 90’s Fat Wreck Chords tour and watching the less wild people in our group bug out when the whole section went wild.

At one point towards the end of a show a few people climbed off the railing of the 2nd story onto a wall of speakers and jumped down onto the stage then into the crowd. They shut that down pretty quickly. It was one of the wildest concerts I ever attended. Goldfinger, Mad Caddies and Zebrahead were bands that put on a hell of a show there. I saw Goldfinger twice there and noticed the second time their music had declined and they became more political. Peta shit was everywhere and lots of people were mocking it. Big Grin The Abyss was demolished in the early 2000’s.

The Boathouse in Norfolk VA was another fun but small venue in that area that attracted some incredible bands. Chevelle, Powerman5000 and Static X all put on a VERY FUN show there. Sadly the Boathouse has also been demolished.

I don’t really care for the huge concerts, to me they are not as fun. I went to the Vans Warped Tour and Fm99’s Lunatic Luau at VA Beach many times and while they were enjoyable and attracted a much larger crowd they didn’t have the same vibe as a smaller venue.

where was the Abyss?

I remember a place (Cannot remember the name) close to Atlantic, (maybe between Alantic and Pacific ave) back in the 80's,

but most concerts back then I saw were at the Hampton Coliseum, (we are talking early 80's)

I've been to the Norva a dozen times or more for various acts, (mostly Costello)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

September 17, 2021, 06:25 AM
0-0
Argentina’s public is special and, all things considered, it’s easy to understand why.
We are far removed from the main path. Our economy sucks big time so tickets are almost unaffordable for us. They are sold a year in advance hoping they will collect enough pesos to buy the dollars to get the artists this far south.

Some great bands visited us before becoming mainstream. The were heartily welcome and most tried to come back once famous. But the general tule is it’s going to be a once in a lifetime experience so there’s great expectation and everybody is counting on an extraordinary evening. One to remember and tell the grand children.
The Stones rule in Argentina but the newer generations are also ever present.

Me, i got old before the stadiums era and i watched my share of concerts while living abroad. Only miss not attending Roger Waters and Santana. Large venues are not for me.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
September 17, 2021, 08:13 AM
stickman428
lyman, The Abyss was on 19th street close to the location of the VA Beach Convention center. You might be thinking of Peabody’s on 21st street between Atlantic and Pacific Ave.

I saw Less Than Jake and Millencolin at Peabody’s many years ago. As far as venues it was one if my least favorite. I like smaller venues but that place is tiny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
September 17, 2021, 01:19 PM
frayedends
For me it was Nine Inch Nails at Boston Garden on the Downward Spiral tour. They had just finished small club gigs when Closer became a hit and the Garden was their first full size venue. Security was tight and wouldn’t let people move let alone dance. Trent got pissed and walked off stage, knocking over a drum kit and some keyboards when he left. When they finally came back on stage to intense drum beat of the song Eraser the crowd went nuts. The loge spilled onto the floor and every seat on the floor was torn up and sections of chairs were passed overhead as fans cleared the floor for the largest mosh pit I’ve ever seen. It was epic. A week later the floor seats at the next show at Worcester Centrum were removed before the show and anyone with floor seats got general admission.

These go to eleven.
September 17, 2021, 02:56 PM
46and2
I once got to see Radiohead in a Roman Colosseum built in 50ad in the south of France, w crumbling stone columns, etc. Later I saw them at Coachella which was fun but not at all as interesting, venue wise.

Saw GnR and INXS together in Texas Stadium, and Pink Floyd and U2 (separately) in ASU's stadium.

But really, things like seeing Dizzy Gillespie in a small bar in Georgetown was better than most.
September 18, 2021, 06:47 AM
stkfox
Looking back, for me, it wasn’t so much the venue but rather it was who was playing. Went to see Mott the Hoople, the big draw in a three band set, in Harrisburg, PA in (74?). MOTT was all the rage then. Who opened for them? A new ban called Queen. And who opened for Queen? Another newbie Aerosmith. I remember looking at my printed ticket and saw Aerosmith at the bottom and wondered who the hell these guys were!