Find
Notify
Tools

Dirty Harry Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Somehow, I never got around to watching the whole movie, or if I did I don't remember anything other than the iconic "do ya feel lucky punk" scene.

Caught it tonight on Netflix as there was absolutely nothing else that even remotely piqued my interest. 1971! The movie is more than 50 years old! How is that possible? And it was still pretty darn good. No CGI, no over-the-top car chases, and when a guy got the crap beat out of him, he LOOKED like he'd had the crap beat out of him and acted accordingly.

Movie makers today could learn a few things from that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
1971!

Yep. The movie was inspired by the famous Zodiac serial killer who operated in the late '60s.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A few trivia facts:

Inducted into the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.
Clint was already 41 years old when he made the movie.
When Clint jumps off the overpass onto the top of the hijacked school bus, that is him actually doing it.
When the killer, at the bottom of the big cross, says, "My, that's a big one" at the sight of Harry's gun, that was an ad-lib, but left in.
There was a delay in filming when Andrew Robinson (the killer) had to be sent off for additional firearms training, as he kept flinching.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The sequels are okay. I recommend watching those only for the education in movie and popular culture.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I did I don't remember anything other than the iconic "do ya feel lucky punk" scene.
...and you misremembered that too. Razz

It's "You gotta ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya? Punk?"

Posts: 2638 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Somehow, I never got around to watching the whole movie, or if I did I don't remember anything other than the iconic "do ya feel lucky punk" scene.

Uh wow dude, this is a classic. You been freeze dried or doing hard time? Big Grin. Anyhow the scene at the cross where Scorpio has Harry toss his M29 down on the concrete and you can hear it just kills me. I like gore and violence in my movies but treating a mint S&W that way is hard to take.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:

It's "You gotta ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya? Punk?"

I paraphrased for the sake of brevity. Yeah...that's it...that's the ticket!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I can stop and watch ‘71’s original and ‘73’s “Magnum Force” just about anytime. The sequels beyond that certainly have their moments but I just don’t generally enjoy them as much.

When watching the original, check the scene near the beginning when Harry parks in front of a diner to grab his “usual” hot dog - you’ll get a glimpse of a theatre marquee advertising “Play Misty for Me,” another Eastwood vehicle popular at the time.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I just watched this again recently, I feel it holds up well.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Fun trivia: Andrew Robinson, the actor who played Scorpio, also played Garak on DS9. Garak was arguably the best character they came up with in all of Trek, in no small part to Robinson's acting.

Posts: 11349 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bank Robber" I got's to know!"

Callahan to Mayor: When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross. The Mayor: I think he's got a point.

A movie loaded with quotable lines..

I can watch it over and over, great movie, and it's interesting that the problems in San Francisco then echo much of the problems that we discuss today, it was a time when Miranda, Escobedo has become something that law enforcement had to deal with,

The scene with Scorpio shot in the middle of the football field, an un mirandized criminal, who asked for an attorney and that he knows his rights being interrogated with physicality without a lawyer by Callahan.

The scene with the judge, explaining how without a warrant, the gun was inadmissible.

Playing criminal activity against laws protecting them off the emotion of people wanting Ann Mary Deacons rights upheld.

Excellent commentary on the state of criminals vs law enforcement that still plays today....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The scene with Scorpio shot in the middle of the football field …

Nobody extracted a confession like Harry Callahan.

This scene would be pretty ordinary, but for the camera spiraling up and away in a "herky-jerky" fashion. Genius.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Love those movies. Watched Magnum Force a little while ago and I noticed for the first time how it seemed everyone was smoking.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Love those movies. Watched Magnum Force a little while ago and I noticed for the first time how it seemed everyone was smoking.

In those days, a lot of people did.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dirty Harry and Death Wish movies were created at a time when this country was going through very similar social upheavals that we're currently experiencing.
In college, I wrote a paper connecting the dots of how the feel good late-60's, starting from that solitary 5-month period in 1967 San Francisco, which inspired, motivated and attracted all manor of alternative social and anti-social persons, spawned its hangover called the 70's. Public figures, elected & civic officials had all drank the Kool-Aid of bucking the norms which resulted in racial and social upheaval resulting in San Francisco being the most violent urban area in the country during the decade of the 1970's. All manor of leftist-motivated terrorist groups and organized gangs sprang-up, kidnapping, bank robberies, assassinations, burglaries, extortion, serial murder and assaults, all ticked-up dramatically during this time; an under-current of anarchy existed depending on neighborhood.

Dirty Harry and Paul Kersey were the heroes that the people needed.

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:

Also, “Magnum Force” features assorted scenes of gum-chewing almost athletic in its intensity. The bad-guy driving the car at the first traffic stop to Harry himself - lots of it. Just makes me chuckle every screening.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The first three, made in the 70s, are classics.

Dirty Hary (1971)
Magnum Force (1973)
The Enforcer (1976)

The rest are junk (Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool).

Q

Posts: 26188 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The sequels are okay. I recommend watching those only for the education in movie and popular culture.

I consider Magnum Force to be almost the equal of Dirty Harry. Great script, and casting was excellent.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16603 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
Harry's partner "Fatso" is John Mitchum...Robert Mitchum's brother...you can see him in Eldorado as a bartender with John Wayne, James Can and...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always thought it so strange that Albert Popwell was in the first four movies. Mostly because even though it was a tiny part of the first movie, the scene was so memorable.

But then all the Eastwood (and to some extent Siegel) movies of the era had the same cast in damn near all of them.

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post