SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    We Own this city new series
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Own this city new series Login/Join 
posted
Baltimore and corrupt cops. David Simon author of the Wire. First episode ok, waiting to see how things develop. You can tell it was filmed on the streets of Baltimore. Anyone else seen it? HBO product.

Posts: 17174 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Simon's "The Wire" was the best depiction of police I've ever seen produced on the small screen. That said, "Treme" and "The Deuce" had more than their share of wokeness to exhibit Simon's own "Progressive" leanings. I thought the first episode of "We Own This City" looked okay, but I'm considering when this was actually written and produced, and hoping Simon's going to give cops a fair shake on this production.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it is a true story about police corruption. Wayne Jenkins is doing 25 years in a Ky.Federal prison. I am not seeing any Woke stuff, just a gritty portrayal of BPD.

Posts: 17174 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well it is a true story about police corruption. Wayne Jenkins is doing 25 years in a Ky.Federal prison. I am not seeing any Woke stuff, just a gritty portrayal of BPD.

"Based on a true story." The characterization of the non-political DOJ investigators merely trying to get Baltimore PD controlled by a court ordered consent decree, the failure to depict Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby and avoidance of depicting the "Progressive" mayor (rather than vaguely mentioning his policies), etc...

Baltimore PD certainly has it's problems, but Simon doesn't seem capable of examining how "progressive" policies by the city's "leadership" is systematically responsible for their existence.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty good so far. Nothing groundbreaking but based on real shit. I’m eagerly waiting to see how hard they come down on the politicians though I don’t remember how involved some of those players were.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baltimore PD certainly has it's problems, but Simon doesn't seem capable of examining how "progressive" policies by the city's "leadership" is systematically responsible for their existenc

^^^^^^^^^^
I am watching for entertainment not as a documentary. If everything were reduced to purely factual accounts I would not be interested.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Baltimore PD certainly has it's problems, but Simon doesn't seem capable of examining how "progressive" policies by the city's "leadership" is systematically responsible for their existenc

^^^^^^^^^^
I am watching for entertainment not as a documentary. If everything were reduced to purely factual accounts I would not be interested.

That's your right, but unfortunately many people today obtain their views on history and present situations based upon "fact based" drama. I wish more people would "deep dive" into the issues to obtain a more balanced view before forming opinions, but that's just not the case. Mass media has and continues to be used for propaganda purposes, with much of the drama oriented towards swaying public opinion through not just what's portrayed, but by omissions.

Simon has done some great work in the past balancing politics with drama. I sincerely hope he does so with this offering.