SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Grumpy Old Men...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grumpy Old Men... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
One of the finest pieces of brain candy entertainment out there. It's amazing what a staple this film has become especially in Minnesota. There is not a ice fishing shack in the state that does not have a DVD copy of this movie on the shelf. It's a tradition for us every year that it gets played in the ice house during ice fishing season. Much like Die Hard at Christmas time.

While far and away from some of the best performances of Matthau and Lemon either together or separately this film does not put their acting skills to any test. What it did do is introduce a entire younger generation who these two otherwise may have never been known. Ann Margaret included of course. I liken this movie to Eastwood's Every Which Way But Loose. Pure entertainment, nothing there for deep analysis. Just watch and enjoy. I need movies like these on occasion.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8528 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
And Burgess Meredith Big Grin

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^ Let's wish in one hand, crap in the other and see which one fills up first

I use that line often and get dirty looks from the wife

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Mornin dickhead! Big Grin

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max had a great cat!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
"Taking ole one eye to the optometrist."

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
^^^ Let's wish in one hand, crap in the other and see which one fills up first

I use that line often and get dirty looks from the wife

My dads been saying that to me for 45 years. I started saying it to my kids at pretty young age.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Staple in our house every fall!

“Everybody's got plans...until they get hit.” Mike Tyson

Posts: 280 | Location: OC, CA | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Great movie, I need to re-watch it, has been a few years.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
Love this movie. As a 72 year old married to a 55 year old I really identify with the Jack Lemon/Ann Margaret dynamic.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Didja mount her?

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post