SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century ... Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
...that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter ...

Once a year, I'll get out this two record set and cue up the turntable ...

https://www.amazon.com/War-Wor...+%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-1

H G Wells' original story:
https://www.fulltextarchive.co...e-War-of-the-Worlds/

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Great Album. The book is a good read also.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've never heard the radio broadcast but I love the movie version that came out in '53.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I've never heard the radio broadcast but I love the movie version that came out in '53.

The radio broadcast (by Orson Welles) in the Mercury Theater series is available online if you google it, the album referenced above was a 'concept album' devised by Jeff Wayne - a prolific composer and producer. it included Richard Burton as the narrator and protagonist, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy) as the Parson, David Essex as the Artilleryman, and Julie Covington (Evita) as Beth, the parson's wife (not an original character from the book). It also includes original music from Justin Hayward from 'The Moody Blues'.

Great album.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever see this Documentary style movie about the Martian Invasion? It looks like its sort of like the World War Z book, where they view the conflict through stories of the people who fought. Except this is H.G. Wells War of the Worlds set in the World War I era.
I just heard about it and haven't watched it yet.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have loved this album for years and years!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 547 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've got that on disc. I've not listened to in a long time.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just ordered it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38700 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post