SIGforum
Oh look, the Oscars....

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6080023994

March 12, 2023, 08:02 AM
rat2306
Oh look, the Oscars....
Tonight is Oscar night in Hollywood. My first thought when I saw the news of it is that I'll watch "The Naked Gun 33 1/3" with its great Oscar scenes instead. Which includes the late great, and mourned Raquel Welch in them.
March 12, 2023, 02:08 PM
pedropcola
So I went to the website to see if I had ever heard of most of the movies. Nope. In fact the thing that stood out besides I hadn’t heard of most of the movies for best actor/actress was that for best picture there are 10 nominees. 10. Seems like an excessive amount. Kind of makes Oscar nominated movie of the year fairly un impressive.

So on that list of 10 I have seen almost half. Five of them, I say almost because I couldn’t finish Elvis it was so boring. I was surprised that 2 movies that a bunch of people actually watched were on the list. Avatar and Top Gun.

To me it’s a no brainer. Top Gun was easily the best movie of the year. Easy because the rest of them either were meh or I had never seen them or wanted to. Everything all at once everywhere for everyone or whatever was the most disjointed movie I had seen in a long time. Critics loved it It sucked. That story needed a deft hand to not descend into stupid. It descended into stupid. Nothing stands out on that list except TG.

I bet the ratings are atrocious.
March 12, 2023, 02:49 PM
Lord Vaalic
I'm boycotting until there is a trans / pans/ Asian / non homo normative / on spectrum / ginger / alphabet people category.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
March 12, 2023, 03:43 PM
fiasconva
Good thing CBS is showing new episodes tonight. I was expecting re-runs. But I've got enough channels to find something else, anything other than that crap.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
March 12, 2023, 03:53 PM
GT-40DOC
I taped the 1st NHRA drag race of the season, so I will be watching that.
March 12, 2023, 04:41 PM
cslinger
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I'm boycotting until there is a trans / pans/ Asian / non homo normative / on spectrum / ginger / alphabet people category.

And your problem with non people??? Not everybody identifies as a person you know. Why not step out of your normative mindset ya bigot. Razz Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
March 12, 2023, 04:57 PM
Pale Horse
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I taped the 1st NHRA drag race of the season, so I will be watching that.

The Oscar’s will have a slightly different drag race Big Grin

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
March 12, 2023, 04:58 PM
ensigmatic

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
March 13, 2023, 06:02 AM
mttaylor1066
My 30YO daughter asked to use my YouTubeTV subscription to watch the Oscars… I admire myself for NOT asking “Why!?!?”

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.
March 13, 2023, 11:59 AM
NavyGuy
Didn't watch one second of it. Done the same for the past 10+ years.

I used to really like watching the Oscars back in the 70's and 80's and maybe a little bit in the 90's. Back then you saw most of the nominated movies, had your favorites which you kinda pulled for.

Now, I've not heard of most of the movies, and if I did, I haven't bothered to see them. The Oscar show has become so woke, left wing, political, Hollywood elitists it is painful to watch.

The only movie I saw out of the bunch was Top Gun Maverick which was pretty good and I couldn't detect any underlying agenda.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
March 13, 2023, 12:02 PM
parabellum
Ha! Cool

December, 2021

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0089784?r=1940089784
March 13, 2023, 01:16 PM
YooperSigs
At least Curtis did not get slapped. Not yet, anyway.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
March 13, 2023, 01:38 PM
parabellum
quote:
Curtis

Who?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
March 13, 2023, 02:10 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Glad to see the popularity sink. Even in the 50s it was boring. Miss America though was worse.
March 13, 2023, 04:46 PM
Prefontaine
That Everything movie, I had to turn it off and didn’t even finish it. No thanks. I tried to watch it several evenings and not anything I think is Oscar worthy either and it won most shit last night. Best supporting actor, and actress, and best actress among the other accolades. I’ll watch the nominated films and make my own opinions as usual. Academy is more interested in woke winners than awarding the best art. Nominations are usually pretty good however. Will be interesting to figure out who really got robbed this year.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
March 13, 2023, 04:54 PM
.38supersig
They still do that?

March 13, 2023, 04:56 PM
parabellum
Everything Everywhere All At once was nominated because it's big in the Asian market and will do well all over. China China China.

A woman- an Asian woman- is the hero of the film. This is like when Titanic won Best Picture instead of the actual best picture- Ridley Scott's Gladiator. Titanic was huge on the international film market, grossing more than four times what Gladiator did.

China China China and the almighty dollar, folks. That's Hollywood these days. Forget about quality and artistry. Artistry don't earn Benjamins.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
March 13, 2023, 06:10 PM
iron chef
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Everything Everywhere All At once was nominated because it's big in the Asian market and will do well all over. China China China.

The movie has been out for a year now and been re-released almost as many times as Top Gun: Maverick has. It did pretty well in Taiwan and Hong Kong, but those markets are peanuts compared to China.

If EEAAO were to have a major release in China, it would have been released by now. The Chinese govt regulates which Hollywood films are allowed to be released. I suspect EEAAO failed to get govt approval, b/c one of the subplots revolves around the mother accepting her daughter's openly lesbian relationship.

By now, anyone in China who was interested in seeing the movie has seen it on bootleg videos. There's no money to be made by releasing it in China even if the Chinese govt would allow it.

quote:
This is like when Titanic won Best Picture instead of the actual best picture- Ridley Scott's Gladiator. Titanic was huge on the international film market, grossing more than four times what Gladiator did.
Titanic won Best Picture in 1998, though my choice would have been LA Confidential or Good Will Hunting. Gladiator won Best Picture in 2001.

The highest grossing Hollywood film in China last year was the Avatar: The Way of Water by far. If the Oscars are influenced by which films succeed in China, then shouldn't the Avatar sequel have won?
March 13, 2023, 06:19 PM
parabellum
Ah, yes, of course you're correct. That's what I get for going by memory, and yes, I agree wholeheartedly and most enthusiastically- L.A. Confidential should have won best picture.

If you ask James Ellroy, though, he called the movie version of his book "about as deep as a tortilla". I don't think that's really fair, and neither would anyone who has read Ellroy's massive book. As written, L.A. Confidential is unfilmable. The movie would have to be eight or ten hours long.

All things considered, I think Curtis Hanson and Brian Helgeland did about as good a job with the script as anyone could have.

And then you've got that great score by Jerry Goldsmith. That trumpet, baby...
March 13, 2023, 09:33 PM
maladat
I really liked Everything Everywhere All at Once. A lot.

With that said, it blends weird sci-fi, kung fu, absurdism, and surrealism. Those all happen to be genres I enjoy, and I thought the way the movie brought them together was great.

If someone wasn’t familiar with the genre conventions of those influences and/or didn’t like at least a couple of them, I can see how the movie could come off as an unenjoyable mess.