SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ripley - neo-noir miniseries on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ripley - neo-noir miniseries on Netflix Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Recently released 8 episode miniseries available on Netflix. It's the latest adaptation of the classic novel "The Talented Mr. Ripley".

Andrew Scott (of Sherlock fame) stars as the titular character, and plays such a perfect sociopathic conman that he makes your skin crawl. One review I saw labeled his performance as "positively reptilian". His subtle mannerisms and expressions absolutely make the series.

Shot entirely in black and white, the cinematography is gorgeous. Evocative lighting and use of shadows. Fantastic scenic shots of the Italian seafront, including lots of lingering shots of architecture and sculptures.

(Due to the reliance on B&W contrast, it's best viewed on something like an OLED that can faithfully replicate the deep shadows and true blacks. Preferably in a dark room. I suspect that trying to watch it in a sun-drenched room on a cheap LED screen with muddy, washed-out grey-blacks would be much less satisfying.)

And be forewarned, this is certainly not your typical modern movie/show. There's no CGI action scenes, lens flare, or shiny explosions. No fast-moving fight sequences. No pun-quipping sidekick for comedic relief. It's certainly not an edge-of-your-seat, thrill-a-minute coaster ride to pander to your ADHD.

Rather, this is a trip back to classic filmmaking - the acting, dialogue, and photography are what carry this. But if you're a fan of classic movies, film noir, or slow burn murder mysteries, or even just masterful cinematography and excellent acting, definitely check this series out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the series and thought the production was much better than "The Talented Mr. Ripley."

It's a dark story, but very interesting. Scott's character learning Italian, the "art" of high stakes cons, and evolving into a thoroughly ruthless murder is very compelling. The locations and the fact this is all done in black and white certainly gives it a 40's noir feel that's rarely seen today. A great watch!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10271 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Well of course. Smile

Ignoring this ^^^, the stairs, my God, the stairs. Eek

We have now watched this and I highly recommend it despite the slow and beautiful story development.

I'm hard pressed to think of better black and white imaging. Not decolored but true b&w, almost shades of silver with the added dynamic range that can offer. This is carefully crafted cinematography. And it's tailored perfectly to the story being told. A subtext to the movie is the painter Carravagio, his recognition of the importance of light and his murderous history.

There are apparently four previous movies based on "Ripley's Game", I've seen none of them. I was able to dvr a showing of "The Talented Mr. Ripley" that coincidentally aired the other night. John Malkovich starred in Roger Ebert's favorite of the bunch, he has a role in "Ripley". Maybe it's just me, Dickie Greenleaf's father looks like an older Matt Damon.

So yeah, watch this, go for the fantastic look and attention to detail, let the story pull you in. Masterful work by all. This series is not without hiccups but buckle up for a slow motion ride.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8585 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm bumping this because I hate to see this thread disappear down the way.

This series still haunts me with its poetic imagery, David Lynch audio and compelling story. Watch "Ripley", it's magical.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8585 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Bump away - SF has pushed us to watch some very interesting programs - this is one of them

3 ep's to go - Amazing how B&W can allow you to imagine.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'll put this in my Q, and give it a watch

he, the title character, as mentioned was good in Sherlock, and also good as C in one of the recent James Bond movies

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10606 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post