Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was the first I'd heard of the ride height adjustment, with VR's bike in the gravel.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That sucked seeing Rossi crash out. His ride height system was definitely jacked after that crash. I hope this isn’t Rossi’s last year. The sport will hurt mightily when he hangs up his leathers. The way Maverick has been hit or miss on the factory Yamaha makes me wonder if it’s completely the riders fault or maybe an issue getting comfortable with their set up and bike. It’s weird. I was expecting Maverick and Rossi to have a better season than this. I hope this isn’t how it ends.

I think it debuted last year or maybe the year before when Ducati decided to rip off the “Carolina Squat” look where they slam the rear of a pick up truck and leave the front high. I had a blast making fun of them when they fist rolled it out but apparently they are getting the last laugh. Big Grin

Cant say it hurts handling either because it can be turned off and on and the Yamaha’s have it and have not lost any corner speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
So, I'm guessing it's a launch/straightline drop for the rear, then raise for the twisty bits?

[threaddrift]Saw last week that NC introduced legislation to legally ban the Carolina Squat, article speculated that it had to do with headlight angles as a result[/threaddrift]

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yep. You guessed correctly. Smile

As for the banning of the Carolina Squat all I have to say on this matter is good riddance. The world doesn’t need trucks that look like they are dragging their butts across a carpet like a dang dog with dingleberries. The owners will always have the option of spray painting “I am stupid” on their trucks once the Carolina Squat gets banned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok this is pretty cool. What is old is new again.

Fairings with holes drilled into them might make a comeback! Big Grin

KTM’s new aero they are testing. Look closely at the fairing.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

If a CBR900RR could talk. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I wonder if dimpling would be more effective? I seem to recall on MythBusters that the golfball style dimpling on a car created a more aerodynamic vehicle thus allowing it to get better fuel economy (which to me means less drag), so there may be a KPH or 2 to be had. Those holes may be more about cooling than aero but who knows? Could be psychological warfare aimed at Ducati Wink

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see dimples show up eventually. It’s the next logical progression after you start drilling holes into your fairings and after you already put wings on your bike. Big Grin

I just love motorcycles and Grand Prix motorcycle racing. My favorite team could have a total shit year and I’ll still find something to enjoy the hell out of in that season. For me I’ve always been drawn to the bikes before the actual riders. Their technical specs, similarities and differences. I could write about bikes every single day and it wouldn’t ever get old.

MotoGP is the greatest show on earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's where I am with F1, could talk about it endlessly.
I've been a car guy much longer than a bike guy, so auto racing has been my first passion. I am quite enjoying getting into GP, too, though.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Full Fan Capacity for Both Austria Rounds

quote:

Both Austria MotoGP rounds at the Red Bull Ring will be open to full spectator capacity.

For the first time since 2019, MotoGP will be open to full crowd capacity with both Austria races at the Red Bull Ring.

The Styrian Grand Prix replaces the Finnish Grand Prix that was scheduled for August 6-8, and will run one week ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix in order to form the double-header.

Dorna Sports have released an official statement, saying: "Dorna Sports is delighted to confirm that both the Michelin Grand Prix of Styria and the Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich will welcome fans back to the grandstands in 2021.

"Spectator restrictions are being lifted at sporting events in Austria this summer, and the gates of the Red Bull Ring will therefore be open to MotoGP fans who are either vaccinated, tested or recovered from Covid-19.

"Fans will be able to attend the emblematic Spielberg venue at full capacity for both the Styrian and Austrian GPs.

"The MotoGP paddock will continue to operate as a separate Covid-19 safe bubble at both events."

The news comes after the recent Catalunya Grand Prix saw a reduced number of fans in attendance (20% capacity), while Assen is also expected to have a limited number of spectators.

Since the Covid-19 global pandemic hit last year, most races had been run behind closed doors until Qatar and Barcelona this year.

It remains to be seen what/if rounds will have fans and at what capacity following Austria, but nonetheless, it’s a positive sign for all MotoGP fans.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Man I hate that track. They ought to call it the Red Bull straights.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well done! Spain may get the honor of being the first track to welcome back fans but Austria gets the honor of being the first to open back up fully. Bravo.

Fun fact; 50% of every lap at the Red Bull ring is raced at full throttle. It’s one of the tracks I want to see a race at in person.

Last year the GSX-RR should not have done well there but Mir & his Gixx were both spectacular. Ducati, KTM and Yamaha stepped up big time this year but Mir loves that track. My fingers are crossed that it’s a good race. The potential is there for sure.

Before I die I hope I can see a race in person at:
Silverstone
Red Bull Ring
Phillip Island
&
Mugello

Awww hell who am I kidding. I want to go to all of em.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Before I die I hope I can see a race in person at:
Silverstone
Red Bull Ring
Phillip Island
&
Mugello

Awww hell who am I kidding. I want to go to all of em.

COTA is the obvious easy choice, especially with it being just 3-4 hours away.
Past that, and not knowing all of the GP tracks, I'd say Silverstone.

On the F1 side, Monaco, Silverstone, Spa & Suzuka are probably my bucket list tracks. We've done COTA twice for F1 & enjoyed it (apart from the walking & the heat) both times.
Had planned on GP tickets this year before it was canceled. Maybe next year.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whose fault is it that COTA has been postponed (canceled) yet again? Is it the city of Austin? Is it DORNA? I refuse to believe and accept that it’s safer in Spain to have 20% capacity and Austria to have 100% capacity but we can’t race in the USA. Excuse me but What the fuck!? Argentina burning down didn’t help the Americas leg of the world championship but that alone isn’t to blame I don’t think.

Who do you place the blame for this upon other than the shittastic Chinese Communist Party that needs to be nuked from high orbit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
While the sky team hasn’t formally signed with a manufacturer yet its looking like Ducati could have a lot of dogs in the fight in 2022. It least that’s what the rumors and speculation is pointing to right now.

Suzuki not having a satellite team is going to make it that much harder to get the GSX-RR set up and as competitive as possible on as many tracks as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
If they get the Ducati to turn, it’s pretty much game over for the rest of the teams except KTM. Rossi may think he has what it takes to get it done although I’d like to see more Suzuki’s on the grid.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah for sure. 8 Ducati bikes on the grid is going to make me root even harder for KTM and Suzuki. I hope Rossi remembers his last experience when he embraced Ducati. I think it’s probably already a done deal but here’s to hoping. It would be funny if Yamaha or KTM smoked em even with all those dogs in the fight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What is this and its purpose?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Air scoop to cool the tire? I remember some controversy when Ducati put an air scoop on their swing arm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What is this and its purpose?

The bike is actually on a kickstand. They blurred the background to make it appear to be moving.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
At first glance it does look like a kickstand. Big Grin

It’s looking like Rins will be back for zee German Grand Prix! I hope they put him in his leathers and activate the airbags next time he goes for a bicycle ride. Big Grin

I’m hoping KTM saw some positive results with their “holy fairings” those things look neat! I’m not sure the lord is a KTM fan but I suppose it’s possible. Cmon holy fairings I hope you make it to the track on Sunday! Big Grin

Anyone know with engine development frozen are these new parts allowed to go on the bikes now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~