Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
In the Argentine GP Marc got a ride thru penalty and had to drop a place but dropped two out of confusion and still finished 5th by beating Maverick on the final lap. His pace was just mental as was his behavior. He was out of line for sure, the hit on Espargaró, the even worse contact on Rossi. Hell, he ignored it when he was told at the beginning of the race to start from the back after he stalled it on the grid. Even the announcers were shocked that he ignored the order to start from the back.

I believe it was Simon who called it very early on in the race when he said Marquez having blistering pace and being mad that he stalled it on the grid would likely take many risks and probably crash trying to make up ground. He was light years ahead of everyone else on pace there was no need for him to force it and make so many mistakes or ride so dangerously.

Anybody else would have been black flagged.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I agree. The Spanish mafia gives him a pass. I respect his skills and all the riders for what they do but I don’t like Marquez’s personality.

On a more positive note this was my moment of zen news article headline for today.

Suzuki commits to MotoGP until at least 2026.
Link to article
Cool

The rider I am gaining a lot of respect for is Miller. His refusal to throw red meat to the media and place blame as well as his going dark on social media for a while after the run in with Mir was smart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I had a bunch of time to kill yesterday while waiting at the Virginia DMV (outside mind you), so I caught up on the Moto 2 & 3 races.

It's great seeing a new crop of talent in Moto 3. Always a great race with Moto 3 because anyone can win but Pedro Acosta is stand out for sure. Tatay needs to cool it before he hurts someone.

Moto 2: Great seeing 2 Americans in the field even though both washed out in the 2nd Doha race, their standings aren't too terrible. Lowes has his hands full with Gardner, R. Fernandez, and Bezz (if he can figure out tire management). Speaking of Lowes...he launched himself hard in Portimao. Looked like it hurt him pretty good. I think the results at Portimao should have been changed a little. Canet was given 2nd by the Spanish mafia. Anyone else would have had at least a long lap penalty with how many times he exceeded track limits. R. Fernandez is making a helluva debut in Moto 2. Great race craft coming from him and I look forward to watching him grow as a rider. Hopefully I can catch up on some free practice and qualifying now.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was hoping Joe Roberts would get a podium. That was a fun battle at the end I just wish Joe didn’t come out last in that 3 bike final lap battle.

I absolutely loved the slow motion shots of those high speed wheelies this past week. Portugal is a wild track and oh my! does it provide some spectacular shots! I really like this track, it seemed like pre-race everyone was trying to downplay action saying its a bit of a one line track with few passing opportunities but when they actually raced it did not disappoint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
^^^Definitely my favorite track. Up, down, round and round. There's passing opportunities as seen during the race. A bit more challenging for sure, but that's what separates greatness in a field of highly skilled riders.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I had a bunch of time to kill yesterday while waiting at the Virginia DMV (outside mind you), so I caught up on the Moto 2 & 3 races.

It's great seeing a new crop of talent in Moto 3. Always a great race with Moto 3 because anyone can win but Pedro Acosta is stand out for sure. Tatay needs to cool it before he hurts someone.

Moto 2: Great seeing 2 Americans in the field even though both washed out in the 2nd Doha race, their standings aren't too terrible. Lowes has his hands full with Gardner, R. Fernandez, and Bezz (if he can figure out tire management). Speaking of Lowes...he launched himself hard in Portimao. Looked like it hurt him pretty good. I think the results at Portimao should have been changed a little. Canet was given 2nd by the Spanish mafia. Anyone else would have had at least a long lap penalty with how many times he exceeded track limits. R. Fernandez is making a helluva debut in Moto 2. Great race craft coming from him and I look forward to watching him grow as a rider. Hopefully I can catch up on some free practice and qualifying now.

Yep. We knew Jorge Martin was going to be something from the lower classes and he will. Not a fan but the kid is fearless. He’s learning like many have in the premier class, you must WARM UP the Michelins before you push them. He’ll be back at the front. I try to watch the axe murderers as much as I can. Moto3 is always the most entertaining.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw this morning that Martin is being replaced by a WSBK rider for the next round.
Only saw the headline in passing & didn't see the detail.

Edit: Tito Rabat in for Martin at Jerez.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Just catching up on the free practices. Nakagami had a bad off, but man, watching Jorge Martin tumble like a rag doll in dryer was awful! Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and I don’t have to watch Tito Rabat make a fool of himself too long.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The crash data from Jorge Martin’s crash is horrific. To be able to crash that hard, recover and then throw your leg back over a motorcycle is incredible. It is why even though I don’t like him I will always have tremendous respect for Marquez and all the MotoGP riders.

From MotoGP: Link to full article

Alpinestars has provided data from the Spaniard's crash at the Grand Prix of Portugal, with impact from the crash reaching 25G.

In total, Martin's crash lasted a painful 5.2 seconds from first deployment of the Alpinestars airbag to the former Moto3™ World Champion coming to a stop in the gravel trap. It makes it one of the longest crashes in recent memory, with Marc Marquez's (Repsol Honda Team) crash at the Spanish Grand Prix in 2020 lasting 3.5 seconds by comparison.

What makes Martin's crash one of the nastiest we've seen in some time is the repeated impacts of over 20G he suffered. In total, Martin suffered seven different spikes of impact recorded at over 20G with the heaviest impact being recorded at over 26G. Again, by comparison, the largest force recorded by Alpinestars was 29.9G in Loris Baz's crash at Sepang Test in 2016. The largest in recent years was Marquez's highside during Q2 at the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2019, with 26.27G recorded on that day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.autosport.com/f1/n...-and-motogp/6450200/

quote:

Brivio left his position running Suzuki’s MotoGP squad off the back of last year’s world championship victory to take up a senior F1 role with Alpine.

The Italian serves as the racing director for Alpine, jointly running the outfit alongside executive director Marcin Budkowski following its restructuring of its management team.

Discussing his first two races working in F1, Brivio said that one of the biggest things he had to get used to following his move was the use of team radio to stay in constant contact with the drivers.

In MotoGP, teams can only communicate with riders while they are out on-track via short messages on the dashboard of the bike or by using a pit board.

“It’s maybe a funny a thing, but the biggest difference is the radio,” Brivio said.

“You are in contact with the driver constantly, the race engineer telling them to do this, to do that, wait a little bit, whatever.

“[In MotoGP] once the race starts, the rider is by himself. You just sit down and you watch television, that’s all you can do.

“Here, you’re constantly in contact. You’re almost in the car. You are much more a part of what is going on in the track, I think.

“You’re not just enjoying it. You enjoy it, but not as a spectator. So the radio was the biggest difference, but interesting and very exciting.”

Brivio said that he was surprised by how quickly F1 races went by once underway, typically lasting around an hour longer than MotoGP events.

“I experienced the first race in Bahrain, at the beginning I would say, 'wow, 1h40m, 1h45m, whatever it is, it will be long’.

“But it went quickly, because you’re so busy, listening, checking, analysing. So it’s very interesting, a great experience.”

Brivio has also been impressed by the greater complexity of the technology and the data collected in F1 compared to MotoGP.

“I’m not an engineer, but I can really appreciate from the technology,” Brivio said. “It’s very interesting, and this one of the reasons why I decided to join, because I couldn’t understand everything from the television or when you come as a guest.

“There are many similarities I would say. Riders and drivers, they have the same up and down motivation. [They are in] good shape, bad shape, complaining, not happy, whatever. So from this point of view it’s OK.

“Just maybe the technology, it’s more complex. The car is bigger, it’s many more parts, much more information and things you can measure, and therefore as a consequence, many things you need to analyse and check.

“It’s very interesting and I'm very excited to get in.”

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
F1 is as boring to me as watching paint dry. Davide, and all credit to him, left GP for F1, for one main reason, $.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
You’re not wrong about F1. Barely more watchable than nascar.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.autosport.com/moto...motogp-team/6495121/

quote:

Double 125cc world champion and veteran team boss Gresini died in February after a two-month battle with COVID-19.

The team – which operates in Moto3, Moto2 and in MotoGP currently as Aprilia’s factory entrant – vowed to continue racing despite Gresini’s tragic passing.

As the squad gets set to return to independent status in 2022, Padovani will take over the roles previously occupied by her late husband – while their sons Lorenzo and Luca will take on roles within the team.

“I would like to think that Fausto’s two families – ours and the racing one – have joined their efforts to bring forward everything he was planning, and especially the MotoGP,” Padovani said.

“To have an independent team in the premier class is surely something very demanding, with a team to be built from scratch, but I know everyone in the company is giving their 110% to make his dream come true.

“Personally, I see it as a real mission, a challenge we will face – also and above all – thanks to the strength of Fausto, who is following us from above.

“We’re currently speaking with several manufacturers and in a matter of few weeks we will reveal the details of our MotoGP project.”

Having run Aprilia’s factory effort since 2015, Gresini and the Italian manufacturer will sever ties at the end of this season as Aprilia enters as a factory team in its own right from 2022.

Autosport understands Ducati has held discussions with Gresini Racing for some time about a satellite partnership.

Ducati is keen to retain its six motorcycles next year, with an opportunity opening up for Gresini as Avintia will leave the world championship at the end of the season.

In a unique tribute to the late Fausto Gresini, the MotoGP paddock in Portugal and the Formula 1 paddock at Imola joined together for a moment of silence to remember the team boss last week.

The MotoGP paddock held a separate moment of silence during the Qatar Grand Prix for Gresini also.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Jerez looks like it's gonna be a fun one. .399 covers the top 10 on the grid.

I predict

1: Quatararo
2: Bagnaia
3: Morbidelli

Miller and Nakagami will both have offs and Zarco/Vinales will battle for 4th/5th/6th with Aleix on the Aprilia. Can't rule Suzuki out but I think that Yamaha has a better package this year. As for Marc, I think he's gonna be hurting from that big off he had which will see him limping in behind Vale somewhere around 15th.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Well, don’t think I could’ve been more wrong. Damn you arm pump! Huge win for Ducati today.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sucks having to wait for the TV broadcast. Airs at 6pm...

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Sorry. Didn't mean to spoil anything.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Sorry. Didn't mean to spoil anything.

Oh, no worries. You didn't really give anything away.

But, WTF happened with FQ? Commentary said something about a L arm issue? His pace just evaporated.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
He said he lost strength in his arm due to arm pump but I can’t believe that was the issue. I think Yamaha still has valve issues and he’s covering for them. There seemed to me to be a very fine mist of oil on the front facing camera on Jack Miller’s Ducati…at least to my eye anyways.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said he lost strength in his arm due to arm pump but I can’t believe that was the issue. I think Yamaha still has valve issues and he’s covering for them. There seemed to me to be a very fine mist of oil on the front facing camera on Jack Miller’s Ducati…at least to my eye anyways.

Well, he did have arm pump surgery yesteday.

Odd thing, was post race it seemed like it was his left arm that he was favoring. But, I read that he commented about having to brake with 4 fingers, which would, to me, indicate a right arm issue?
Not being able to fully use the throttle or brakes would explain the pace loss.