SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Zulu
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zulu Login/Join 
posted
I recall seeing this film many years so thought I might watch it again. I like epics, prolonged battle scenes and some history thrown in. It is fairly accurate overall. I enjoyed the character who could tell the British what the Zulus were up to. Lots of pagentry,filmed in Natal, and probably cost a fortune to make.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Great movie epically done

Back when Hollywood still made movies and not video games

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I really like Zulu and have watched it numerous times. They spend a good amount of time bringing the characters to life. They do a good job building up the dread of the Zulus arriving at Rorke's Drift.

I have the book Like Wolves on the Fold by LtCol Snook which a fantastic book on the defense of Rorke's Drift. Highly Recommened if you're interesting in learning more.

Was it Michael Caine's first movie (...and introducing Michael Caine) or just his first staring/prominent role?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, great film. There's a prequel to it too: Zulu Dawn. But it's not nearly as good.

quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Was it Michael Caine's first movie (...and introducing Michael Caine) or just his first staring/prominent role?

The latter. He had acted in 16 films for ~8 years prior to Zulu, but it was definitely his breakout role.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An old, but still fantastic book about the Zulu nation is The Washing of the Spears by Donald R. Morris. I first read it shortly after publication, but then for years it was seemingly impossible to find. Much later when I was praising the book to a friend who had a copy, she gave it to me. It’s one I should reread.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Still one of the greatest scenes ever. “Men of Harlech” song.

[FLASH_VIDEO] https://youtu.be/1csr0dxalpI?si=6lGtc4WhFAGTlxKx [/FLASH_VIDEO]
 https://youtu.be/1csr0dxalpI?si=6lGtc4WhFAGTlxKx  

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Great movie, but this is extremely well done.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Interesting factoid, Colour Sgt Frank Bourne (wonderfully played by Nigel Green in the film), was commissioned as an officer in 1890. He was appointed adjutant at the School of Musketry at Hythe, Kent, eventually retiring in 1907. During WW1, he rejoined the army, serving again as an adjutant at the School of Musketry in Dublin. At the end of the war, he was given the honorary rank of Lt. Col and appointed OBE. He eventually retired in 1919 at the age of 64. Passing away in 1945, he was the last surviving defender of Rorke's Drift. Pretty amazing life.

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
"Bourne lived in retirement at 16 Kings Hall Road, Beckenham, Kent. He was the last surviving defender from Rorke's Drift, dying on 9 May 1945 (the day after VE Day), at the age of 90. Bourne was buried in Beckenham Cemetery. His house in Beckenham has been adorned with a blue plaque.[4]"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Redleg06,

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post