SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Must own 4K UHD movies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must own 4K UHD movies Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Sounds expensive. I am afraid to look at it really.

Not ridiculously expensive. Basically what Atmos does is add vertical speakers with dedicated channels, so you effectively have a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 speaker and sub setup with additional 2 or 4 overhead speakers for vertical spatial audio too. Turns the audioscape into a bubble/sphere, rather than a flat horizontal plane.

Instead of 5.1 or 7.1, you end up with something like 5.1.4 or 7.1.2.

You may even be able to continue to use your existing 7.1 speakers, just needing to get a new Atmos-capable receiver and 2 overhead speakers.

But your existing 7.1 surround sound will continue to serve you well until whenever you can upgrade. There's not as big of a noticeable difference between 7.1 and 7.1.2 audio as there is between 1080P HD with no enhancements and 4K UHD with HDR/Dolby Vision video.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I have an annoying feeling that we'll have to double dip on Dune since if the only way you've seen this is on Max or on Disc, we're getting a cropped picture. I know Part 2 was fully filmed on IMAX digital cameras, but for the first Dune, we're missing a lot of picture:

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sound I am lacking.
Still using a 12 year old Pioneer DTS 7.1.

I have not paid attention to audio stuff really.
I am seeing Spacial Audio and Atmos I think.
Sounds expensive. I am afraid to look at it really. As I won’t be able to afford it.

Honestly, unless you have ceiling speakers installed, Dolby Atmos is pretty overrated. I do have a pair of Klipsch RP-500SA for front Atmos with low celings to bounce sound off, and I really don't get much even running louder than other speakers.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never ever recommend this movie, in a real way. It is one of the wackiest ones I've ever seen.

I was intrigued by this thread, though I am not driven to pursue this level of audio/video performance, and then I happened to see this release mentioned. If you want to see some really unsettling stuff in UHD, this is your jam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bouti...4k_uhd_from_vinegar/

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Das Boot.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Back to the Future was redone in 4k. love it.
Blue Planet II is . . . amazing.
Braveheart was rescanned in 4k.
Gladiator was rescanned in 4k.
The Hunt For Red October in 4k
Star Trek 1-4 in 4k
The Ten Commandments

Ben Hur has NOT been rescanned nor has The Searchers. I worry they never will.

I have not mentioned Star Wars as it needs its own thread. It also definitely goes in the "why we should buy the originals" category.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What Blu-Ray players do you recommend for good 4K viewing, streaming I have covered but a good Blu-Ray we don't...

Thinking maybe this Sony UBP-X700

Link

Posts: 23470 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What about The Matrix??

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
What Blu-Ray players do you recommend for good 4K viewing, streaming I have covered but a good Blu-Ray we don't...

Thinking maybe this Sony UBP-X700

Link

XBOX

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Das Boot.

Sadly not in 4K yet and is probably a rights nightmare. Also not sure how good of condition the film elements are in.

quote:
Star Trek 1-4 in 4k

They also broke up the movies as well and you can get VI in 4K which is worth it.

quote:
What about The Matrix??

Another good one. One thing the sequels didn't miss (besides Resurrections) was audio/video quality.

quote:

I recommend any Panasonic 4K Blu Ray player because unlike 90% of players out there, Panasonic lets you put Blu Rays and 4K Blu Rays on infinite repeat. Here's one on Cyber Monday for $150:

https://www.amazon.com/Panason...k%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-1

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Is there any meaningful advantage to Blu Ray over streaming a 4K version assuming no limitations with internet connections?

I cannot speak for anyone's preference on watching movies, but "4K" streaming typically includes compressed video and audio, which bothers me to no end. All it takes to deliver a 4K stream is that the user gets a 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution. The color depth could be completely compressed and washed out, and the sound could be technically worse than an audio CD (as far as bitrate is concerned).

The content providers cheat in every possible way, every time.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
XBOX

Note that the Xbox Bluray drive does support 4K resolution, but does not support the newest HDR technologies of Dolby Vision and HDR10+. It can display Dolby Vision streaming content, but it lacks the hardware capability to read that layer of the discs that feature those. It does support the older and more basic HDR10 technology, though.

Much like the streaming compression issues, having a top quality picture is about more than merely showing the content at 3840 x 2160 resolution. There's also the dynamic brightness and color components. So if you're using your Xbox to watch 4K discs, you're only getting part of the full experience on most newer discs. Basically, the higher resolution of 4K UHD content will be there, but the most vibrant colors, brightest highlights, and deepest blacks afforded by Vision/HDR10+ will be missing.

That is, assuming that your 4K TV supports HDR10+/Vision... Some do not. So then it wouldn't matter that the Xbox can't read and output it, because the TV can't display it anyway. Just HDR10 can still be pretty good.

The Sony X700 mentioned above does support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, but not HDR10+. Some of the nicer Panasonic players support two of the three, but only a few support all three. There's currently a bit of divide in the industry. Base HDR10 is a baseline that most every player and TV supports, because the license is free/cheap. From there, TVs and players tend to then also support either HDR10+ or Vision, but support for both of those together is less common, because the companies don't want to have to pay for licenses for all of it on one player. (That's part of the reason why the top tier Panasonics that support all three are more expensive.)

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

I cannot speak for anyone's preference on watching movies, but "4K" streaming typically includes compressed video and audio, which bothers me to no end. All it takes to deliver a 4K stream is that the user gets a 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution. The color depth could be completely compressed and washed out, and the sound could be technically worse than an audio CD (as far as bitrate is concerned).

The content providers cheat in every possible way, every time.

^ This, 100%. Some “app” is going to figure this space out and deliver full bit rate streaming. It’s just Mbps. I’ll turn on display on the 4k disc player to see what the bit rate is per second and geez my internet from over a decade ago would support it. But some app company is going to drop a bomb at some point and physical media will be over.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

The Sony X700 mentioned above does support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, but not HDR10+. Some of the nicer Panasonic players support two of the three, but only a few support all three. There's currently a bit of divide in the industry. Base HDR10 is a baseline that most every player and TV supports, because the license is free/cheap. From there, TVs and players tend to then also support either HDR10+ or Vision, but support for both of those together is less common, because the companies don't want to have to pay for licenses for all of it on one player. (That's part of the reason why the top tier Panasonics that support all three are more expensive.)

Dolby usually wins out. DV is excellent. I have the x700 and the 800m2. Either will work. Just don’t be surprised during viewing a triple layer disc (100Gb) if your player locks up. It’s common in the industry among many players. Pressing stop, a minute to cool off, and play does the trick. But sometimes you have to turn it off completely.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
XBOX

Note that the Xbox Bluray drive does support 4K resolution, but does not support the newest HDR technologies of Dolby Vision and HDR10+. It can display Dolby Vision streaming content, but it lacks the hardware capability to read that layer of the discs that feature those. It does support the older and more basic HDR10 technology, though.

Much like the streaming compression issues, having a top quality picture is about more than merely showing the content at 3840 x 2160 resolution. There's also the dynamic brightness and color components. So if you're using your Xbox to watch 4K discs, you're only getting part of the full experience on most newer discs. Basically, the higher resolution of 4K UHD content will be there, but the most vibrant colors, brightest highlights, and deepest blacks afforded by Vision/HDR10+ will be missing.

Man, I can’t keep up with all this stuff.
New TV specs says the following
Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10, HLG

Don’t really feel like upgrading my player. Doubt I will really notice a difference.

I buy the Disk then rip them using MakeMKV and if am just casually watching (most of the time after first couple views) pull them from my Plex media server wonder how much I am actually loosing when I rip them?
May dig into the settings a bit.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post