SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Battle Scene to show Confusion, Chaos, and Intensity of a Battle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Battle Scene to show Confusion, Chaos, and Intensity of a Battle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Opening battle scene in Gladiator falls into the right idea but, Ridley Scott got a bit over-stylized with the slow motion. A very good scene nonetheless.

The Thin Red Line, where the company is ordered to charge up the hill despite pill boxes littering the approach. The tension on the CC's face and barking back at his CO built it up.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first fight/battle scene in the The Revenant with the frontiersman and the indians.

Yeah loved that scene. Well done film. Makes me realize how hard life was in those times.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Michael Bay's 13 Hours when the GRS team has to run through the streets of Benghazi to figure out what the heck's going on at the diplomatic compound.

And maybe the entire second act of Lone Survivor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LastCubScout,

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
13 hours and Blackhawk Down.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good ones mentioned so far.

Don't forget - The Pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maMQcutkHFw

This Tenaru night battle seemed particularly intense on film because of the poor visibility. The CGI tracers were well-done IMO.

God Bless our fallen military and their families.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Last of the Mohicans after the British surrendered the fort and were walking away when attacked by the Magwa and the Indians

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The final night battle scene in Platoon, where they were nearly overrun.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Band of Brothers had quite a few. Bastogne comes to mind as particularly intense, confused, and chaotic.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The long single take near the end of Children of Men. The joys of modern urban combat.

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I though Tears of the Sun had some pretty well done hectic battle scenes.
The final ambush scene seems like the Military Advisor got to do the choreography.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
The Last of the Mohicans had a great battle scene with the British being attacked after surrendering the fort.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Band of Brothers had quite a few. Bastogne comes to mind as particularly intense, confused, and chaotic.

I'd have to say the entire D-day operation fits the bill for me.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everything has been mentioned.

Hollywood has gotten better over the years, better than the movies I grew up with. The first movies I saw with what I thought were "realistic" battle scenes were Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. They gave me the heebie jeebies. I watches a matinee of Saving Private Ryan when it came out and the theater was full of older gentlemen and their wives. It was amazing. Very awesome to see their reactions.

After those two movies I think Hollywood got the message and we have had a lot that capture chaos good. Band Of Brothers, the Pacific, 13 Hours, all way better than Heartbreak Ridge (that I did watch today, just because it was on Wink ).

I watched Band Of Brothers over Memorial Day and besides the D-Day jump scene I think the Bastogne scene is the best for chaos and despair.

But my favorite scene? My absolute most favorite? When Lt. Spears relieved Lt. Dike and pressed the attack into Foy. From a "guy on the ground lookin' around" perspective that is the most motivating scene for me.

No matter how bad shit gets, great leadership is amazing, motivating, and inspiring. I would have followed that guy anywhere no matter how shitty it got.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
That night attack scene in 'Platoon' seemed to me to capture the absolute chaos, the noise, the rush that it must be like.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Naval engagements by H.M.S. Surprise in Master and Commander ....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I would say We Were Soldiers when the enemy get inside the perimeter.

I agree. And, add the scene where Col. Moore is screaming for all of the commo officers to calm down.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The Hurt Locker.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Pretty much everything has been mentioned.

Hollywood has gotten better over the years, better than the movies I grew up with. The first movies I saw with what I thought were "realistic" battle scenes were Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. They gave me the heebie jeebies. I watches a matinee of Saving Private Ryan when it came out and the theater was full of older gentlemen and their wives. It was amazing. Very awesome to see their reactions.

After those two movies I think Hollywood got the message and we have had a lot that capture chaos good. Band Of Brothers, the Pacific, 13 Hours, all way better than Heartbreak Ridge (that I did watch today, just because it was on Wink ).

I watched Band Of Brothers over Memorial Day and besides the D-Day jump scene I think the Bastogne scene is the best for chaos and despair.

But my favorite scene? My absolute most favorite? When Lt. Spears relieved Lt. Dike and pressed the attack into Foy. From a "guy on the ground lookin' around" perspective that is the most motivating scene for me.

No matter how bad shit gets, great leadership is amazing, motivating, and inspiring. I would have followed that guy anywhere no matter how shitty it got.

I can remember sitting in the theater with my wife and being so upset at the end of several of the above movies that I couldn't move and had tears coming down my face.

I won't subject myself to this any more, it is too painful.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Recently, the end battle in The Siege of Jadotville.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Agree 100%. One of my favorite scenes in any movie, period. Pure force of will - no talk, all action. Inspiring leadership at its finest.

At Ft. Benning GA the motto of the School of the Infantry is "Follow Me!". CPT Speirs exemplified that to the hilt.

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post