SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fender Precision Bass identification?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fender Precision Bass identification? Login/Join 
posted
Let me first state that I am not a musician and I do not know how to play any instrument.

That said, I'm looking to better identify a couple of Fender P-Basses beyond knowing that they are what they are in the broadest sense.

The complication of that is that I only have one picture of each from the front and do not have them in hand at present.

If I post the pics I have up here, do the P-Bass aficionados in the room think you can help me pin down the vintage of the units in question?

Thanks

Posts: 943 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I am not a P-bass aficionado, I do have a copy of Gruhn's guide to vintage guitars and may be able to help you out.

Posts: 3677 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Serial number's gonna tell us as much or more than the pictures, but yeah, post them up.

Posts: 17565 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Serial number's gonna tell us as much or more than the pictures, but yeah, post them up.

That's a fact, but these two bad pics are the best I can do at the moment: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...04/shares/m0646128qg

I'm working on getting them in hand, but that may be a bit. They belonged to a longtime family friend that passed several years back. His wife already sold a couple of his guitars and an amp and these are going soon.

I was under the impression that at the end, he was down to the one P-Bass, but apparently not.

I'm going to guess that both of these are late-1960's to early 1980's vintage as that was when he was the most actively playing as a hobby but if he bought them used, who knows?

Posts: 943 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m a guitar guy, not a bass guy, but I have to ask: Are these reported to be high-dollar valuable guitars? Have you asked the seller (assuming that’s who has the pictures) to tell you everything they know about the two guitars?

Posts: 13530 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’m a guitar guy, not a bass guy, but I have to ask: Are these reported to be high-dollar valuable guitars? Have you asked the seller (assuming that’s who has the pictures) to tell you everything they know about the two guitars?

They aren't reported to be anything other than basses owned by a deceased family friend and soon to be moved on down the line one way or another by his widow who is also a close family friend.

One or the other are being offered free to a family member that is interested in learning how to play bass and if either of these is something of value, we want to make sure everyone goes into the situation with eyes open.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
https://reverb.com/news/a-time...ender-precision-bass

Not a ton changed from ‘57-‘83. A few variations spelled out in the link.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, both are pre-'84. They came with the "ashtrays" installed, those are the screw holes on either side of the bridges for the bridge covers. Rosewood fretboard was introduced in '59, so they're after that. The sunburst isn't a three color, it's a two color, but since they started doing three color sunburst in '57, it doesn't tell us much. It's interesting to me, though. The necks at least look to have nitrocellulose finishes, and they stopped using those in 1968 when they switched to vinyl based finishes. The colors and finishes both on the bodies and the pickguards are still correct for that timeframe.

Anything else I could try to tell you from the pictures is based on the assumption that they're all-original, and with Fenders going all the way back, people could and did swap stuff out. Basically, they're from somewhere between '59-'84 and I'd guess probably more like '59-'68. Without the serial numbers, we can't really narrow it down any more than that.

Posts: 17565 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

It would not surprise me if both of these were original, nor would it surprise me if my friend built these from parts or changed parts to fit his tastes.

I know from his stories that he and a cousin and some friends perpetually swapped gear around amongst themselves back in the day.

From what I can gather, serial numbers will likely be located on the neckplate of each of these?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
They moved the serial number location around a fair bit over the decades. Here's a link with some good info.

https://bassguitarshack.com/pr...ating-a-fender-bass/

My suspicion is that it's more likely '59-'68 based on how the finishes look in those pictures. At the bare minimum, the finishes on the necks looks like nitro to me. If that's right for both, then you're looking for stamped dates on the bridges, and pulling off the pickguards to look at date codes on the pots or date stamps in the body cavities. Maybe, and more like probably, also pulling the necks off and checking in the neck pocket and the heel of the neck for anything from stamps, to painted numbers, to penciled numbers.