SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sword handling in modern Korean period dramas.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sword handling in modern Korean period dramas. Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
As of late, Mrs.BurtonRW has been enjoying modern Korean period dramas (TV, not movies).

I've noticed that without exception - at least across the three I've watched some or most of with her - characters who carry swords, whether due to job or status, but not because of intending immediate use, do so by literally carrying it around - like an umbrella. No obi or himo involved (or whatever the Korean equivalent would be).

They have plenty of fabric. Fancy, flowing robes, heavy leather armor. But no mechanism for securing their swords such that they can go about daily life with both hands free?

My initial reaction to seeing such a scene was to think that the character was about to use his sword, but I quickly realized that was not the case and then I noticed what I have observed - they all do this. Nonetheless, it seems an aggressive posture to me. As though I walked around with my hand on my holstered gun in a combat grip. Or even just openly in my hand.

That can't be historically realistic, can it? I don't recall seeing this in Japanese cinema, so what's with the Koreans? Has it not occurred to anyone to say, "hey, is my guy really enjoying an afternoon stroll through the market with only one hand free to browse the melons? Can't I tie this thing on to my sash somewhere?"

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
They must have come up with some sort of scabbard to allow them to have both hands free. Hard to believe they wouldn't have.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know any 18th century Koreans . . .

It is hard to imagine they did carry them all the time in their hands.

My wife has also gotten into those Korean dramas on Netflix. They seem a little formulaic to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My wife has also gotten into those Korean dramas on Netflix. They seem a little formulaic to me.

Perhaps, but it seems to be a different formula than American showrunners use, so she finds them refreshing.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
From the Sword Encyclopedia
https://swordencyclopedia.com/korean-swords/

quote:
Scabbards also varied in material and design, as some hwando had lacquered scabbards while others had sharkskin covering. In ancient Korea, swordsmen carried their swords in their hands rather than wearing them on their belts as the Japanese samurai carried their swords. They also held their sword with the cutting edge facing down rather than facing up. 

Palace guards wearing hwando often tied the scabbard to their attire and a bow on the top. When traveling, swordsmen often strapped their swords behind their back but were able to draw them quickly. When riding horseback, they usually wore their sword at the back of their waist. Some accounts say that generals who were close aides to the king used orange swords while ordinary warriors used black swords.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
From the Sword Encyclopedia
https://swordencyclopedia.com/korean-swords/

quote:
Scabbards also varied in material and design, as some hwando had lacquered scabbards while others had sharkskin covering. In ancient Korea, swordsmen carried their swords in their hands rather than wearing them on their belts as the Japanese samurai carried their swords. They also held their sword with the cutting edge facing down rather than facing up. 

Palace guards wearing hwando often tied the scabbard to their attire and a bow on the top. When traveling, swordsmen often strapped their swords behind their back but were able to draw them quickly. When riding horseback, they usually wore their sword at the back of their waist. Some accounts say that generals who were close aides to the king used orange swords while ordinary warriors used black swords.

Who knew? Thanks.

My wife likes them. I watched one with her about a woman lawyer with mild autism, which was amusing and cute. But I don't think I want a steady diet of Korean soap operas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife likes them. I watched one with her about a woman lawyer with mild autism, which was amusing and cute. But I don't think I want a steady diet of Korean soap operas.

No doubt. I’ve seen a couple of modern ones and aside from one about competing video game designers (I forget the name), I much prefer the period pieces.

We just watched the first season of Alchemy of Souls, which is period fantasy fiction. Likable good guys, bad bad guys, and an aesthetically beautiful production. Season one is dubbed (rather well, actually), but season 2 for some reason is not, which is annoying since nobody sounds like we’re used to. Still - it’s kind of like watching live anime, right down to the characteristic translation issues.

-Rob

A=A

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that not much is known about Korean sword use. So little in fact that they just borrow from Japanese sword (sword style, methods, etc) for modern Korean movies and tv. My guess would be that they were actually more influenced in reality by China.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I watched one with her about a woman lawyer with mild autism, which was amusing and cute. But I don't think I want a steady diet of Korean soap operas.

I saw that. There was one scene I thought was touching - cafeteria scene with the two female lawyers - acquaintances from school. Something about being nicknamed Spring.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fictional period dramas: some that i liked off the top:

Chuno or The Slave Hunters
Tree with Deep Roots
Queen Seondeok
Jewel in the Crown
Masquerade

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It’s my understanding that not much is known about Korean sword use. So little in fact that they just borrow from Japanese sword (sword style, methods, etc) for modern Korean movies and tv. My guess would be that they were actually more influenced in reality by China.

Actually several Korean Martial Arts have specific sword forms and arts. Korean swords range in size from short swords to the long swords, typically straight single edge blade. The Japanese occupation of Korea tried to stamp out the Korean martial arts but was unsuccessful. Tae Kwon Do was very popular but almost every Korean instructor I trained under had advance belts in other traditional Korean martial arts. It was just a matter of getting to a certain stage of training for them to let you "peek behind the curtain" and see/be trained in those arts.

Martial Arts wise, Korea is a lot like Okinawa. Korea was invaded by Chinese, Mongol, and Japanese, so there are a lot of different influences and adaptations to their martial arts. Okinawa had trade and ships going through there, so lots of Chinese and Japanese influences on their home grown martial arts.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post