SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Finding a 3D printer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding a 3D printer? Login/Join 
posted
To clarify my subject line, I am not looking for the printer itself, rather someone to print something on a 3D printer for me.

I've done some local searching, and I can find 3D printers for sale, but have not found a 3D job shop so to speak.

What I need made is non-firearm related, small, a small quantity which I would hope should be inexpensive. The files already exist to print from so no design work is needed either.

Am I looking for a cottage industry that does not yet exist, or am I looking for the wrong thing or the wrong way?

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I believe we have a few members here with printers, maybe one will pop in.
I've been on the fence on picking one up. Analysis paralysis, in part.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Find a Makerspace in your area and they may be able to refer you to someone willing to do the work. I did a quick search and this website may help you find one.

https://makerspaces.make.co/

I drilled down in the map to my local area and found a couple even though they didn't show when the map was zoomed out.

After more searching I found that The UPS Store offers the service in some locations.

https://www.theupsstore.com/print/3d-printing

Posts: 3390 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shapeways.com
craftccloud3d.com

I have never used either, but shapeways has been around for a long time. Craftcloud is more of a 'market', but it's backed by all3dp.com which has been around for a while.

you might search for 'print farm', I'm not sure what you'd really call it. There's was one I used when I made an 'oops' on my printer & needed a part, but I forget the name & it was ~8 years ago, so probably not around.

It will likely be more expensive than you are thinking. It's not as simple as clicking print on a document. If I were pricing, I'd make sure I could print it twice without loosing money.

If it truly is simple & a small quantity, I can probably do it for cheap as a service to a fellow forum member. PLA / PETG and if I can figure out why the ^#^%$ printer doesn't like it, ABS.
I have black PLA & PETG, maybe a couple other colors of PETG and a bunch of colors for ABS, except I ran out of black when the other printer was down & haven't bought any since it now doesn't like ABS.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HMM, the flickr app doesn't seem to like IMG tags.
mini-MAGA

That's one of the Lego men I've made.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paten: Thanks for the tip on the UPS store. Unfortunately, the there is only one in my state that appears to do it, and it's about 30 miles away.

Snidera: Thanks for the offer. You are right, I have absolutely no idea what this might cost. I don't know the first thing about plastics or what type is best for a given application either.

This is what I am trying to fix: https://www.searspartsdirect.c...5-tool-cabinet-parts

The socket that the casters plug into are made of some kind of super soft and weak plastic that flexes and tears allowing the wheel to fall out and the cart to tip (when loaded with stuff of course): https://www.searspartsdirect.c...009-502/id-glp057445

The original part is long out of production, but it looks like a couple of enterprising individuals made the info available to 3D print superior replacements:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:426635/files

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2403306

I'm not in a hurry as I'm only in the exploratory phase at this point.

A friend of mine passed recently and his widow has stated she'd like me to help go through his stuff and help her deal with it. I know he had one of the above tool carts as I looked for this same part several years ago when he was still living but was not able to do so himself. I know at least two of the caster sockets are bad, but I don't know if it'll still be around by the time she has me come by to assist her in identifying, sorting and valuing whatever may remain after their son lays claim to whatever he would like.

If it is still there after that, I'd like to fix it for her to make it useful again and get her the most value out of it when I help her move it on.

If it is gone by then, I learned something about finding people to 3D print small jobs.

Thanks all.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If you have the measurements for the hole that the mount goes in, maybe you can find one that fits here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/caster-mounts/

Posts: 3390 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
If you have the measurements for the hole that the mount goes in, maybe you can find one that fits here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/caster-mounts/

I did have measurements at one point, though I have since misplaced them, but IIRC I could not find a commercially available unit as it was an odd size.

I'm sure I would have checked MMC and Grainger, etc. last time I looked a couple of years ago, but if this cart is still around, I'll check again when the time comes.

Thanks.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Under the "Thing details" tab from the Thingiverse link you posted it says:

quote:
-Press the caster mount and caster assembly into the 7/8" (inner) square tubing leg

McMaster Carr does list that tube size for this unit:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Under the "Thing details" tab from the Thingiverse link you posted it says:

quote:
-Press the caster mount and caster assembly into the 7/8" (inner) square tubing leg

McMaster Carr does list that tube size for this unit:

You are of course correct. I downloaded the files to make one of the replacements, could not open it with software on my computer and stopped at that point.

Maybe I won't need the services of a 3D printer after all. Smile

posted Hide Post
That meets my standard of simple & easy.
<4hrs of print time for 4 of the ones that look similar to the pictures posted of the Mcmaster Carr items. the other one on thingiverse looks a bit overcomplicated.

This would be the cheapest black PLA that Amazon sells, slightly less than 2mm wall thickness, printed a little hot for strength on the layers (I've found PLA can be brittle at the layers).
I've done similar repairs with this change from my normal print settings & it works 'good enough'. I don't know the sizes, clearances or how well these were designed. My printer will run a bit to the large side, so don't be surprised if there is a tight fit. Sandpaper & files will fix that fast. A little 5min epoxy will make it a more secure fix.

Email me your address & I'll try to get them to you this week. Printer is warming up now, should be done after lunch.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
That meets my standard of simple & easy.
<4hrs of print time for 4 of the ones that look similar to the pictures posted of the Mcmaster Carr items. the other one on thingiverse looks a bit overcomplicated.

This would be the cheapest black PLA that Amazon sells, slightly less than 2mm wall thickness, printed a little hot for strength on the layers (I've found PLA can be brittle at the layers).
I've done similar repairs with this change from my normal print settings & it works 'good enough'. I don't know the sizes, clearances or how well these were designed. My printer will run a bit to the large side, so don't be surprised if there is a tight fit. Sandpaper & files will fix that fast. A little 5min epoxy will make it a more secure fix.

Email me your address & I'll try to get them to you this week. Printer is warming up now, should be done after lunch.

Thanks, check your email!