SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
It’s a shame that the racing is about the same with one person dominating the season, but the bigger crime is taking all the Marlboro decals off the McLaren Ford.

I get the Senna branding, but the car definitely looks 'less' without the proper livery.

I've been watching old seasons & it was pretty crazy to see cars being lapped 3 times & everyone up to 2nd getting lapped.
At least now the majority usually finishes on the lead lap or at most 1 lap down. Pretty rare that someone gets lapped twice without a mechanical issue or horrendous pit stop.

I'm in 1992 right now, and I think it was Spain. Only the Williams pair finished on the lead lap, Schumacher was a lap down in 3rd & I think 6th was 3 laps down.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15518 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I'm in 1992 right now, and I think it was Spain. Only the Williams pair finished on the lead lap, Schumacher was a lap down in 3rd & I think 6th was 3 laps down.

It’s really not until 1994 that we get a real title fight instead of 2 teammates in Prost/Senna trying to kill each other on track. I’ve downloaded a bunch of ESPN broadcasts off Dailymotion, but that only runs up to 1998. What year does F1 TV finally show an entire season instead of 5 or 6 races?

Posts: 4325 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got F1TV so I get the whole season, though most of the races are in the form of a 20min recap. Only get 3 or 4 full race replays & a couple 30-40min extended highlight reels in a season.
This way does seem to take out some of the 'nothing happened' laps out of the replays.

1970-1980 was in the form of a 1 hr season recap with 1981 being the first year to have a separate 'episode' per race.

Posts: 15518 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's how I can tell who's been a long time fan.
Several races have the entire field qualifying within a second from front to back.
When Max ends up 20 seconds ahead after an hour and thirty minutes of racing that's not all that much per lap.
I the earlier era's when racing was supposed to be so great, many races had much more spread out finishes. In fact that was routine. Much of the reason no one dominated like they do today is because of unreliable cars. Just to finish 90% of the races was an accomplishment, much less win that many.

Posts: 9643 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
McLaren unveiled their Senna Tribute livery and it’s more a “Brazil Senna” tribute instead of a “McLaren Senna” tribute if that makes sense.

Posts: 4325 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not bad looking IMO

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
More drama...

https://racer.com/2024/05/23/m...tened-to-block-team/

quote:
Mario Andretti claims Liberty CEO personally threatened to block team
Chris Medland May 23, 2024 12:59 PM ET

Mario Andretti has claimed Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei personally threatened to block Michael Andretti’s attempts to enter a new team in Formula 1.

The Andretti Global entry was originally approved by the FIA as part of its analysis of which prospective new entrants met the governing body’s criteria, but then was knocked back by Formula One Management (FOM) when it came to joining the grid in 2025 or ’26. FOM stated it would be more open to accepting Andretti Cadillac if and when General Motors delivers its own power unit in 2028, but the initial deferral has led to members of U.S Congress and Senators taking an interest.

Mario Andretti was present when members of Congress held a press conference in Washington D.C. ahead the Miami Grand Prix, following a letter being written to Maffei asking for clarity over the lack of an entry for Andretti Cadillac.

Speaking to NBC News, the 1978 Formula 1 world champion says he was at an event in Miami and speaking to F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali about his presence in Washington when Maffei approached him.

“I was asked to go there (to Washington),” Andretti is quoted as saying. “And just as I was trying to explain that to Stefano, Greg Maffei, Mr. Maffei, broke in the conversation and he said: ‘Mario, I want to tell you that I will do everything in my power to see that Michael never enters Formula 1.’

“I could not believe that. That one really floored me. … We’re talking about business. I didn’t know it was something so personal. That was really — oh, my goodness. I could not believe it. It was just like a bullet through my heart.”

However, a source close to Liberty Media told RACER that the situation had played out differently, and that it had been Andretti who approached Maffei to discuss the matter.

There is understood to be skepticism within a selection of the sport’s stakeholders regarding the validity of Andretti’s claims that he did not bring the situation to the attention of Congress, with Andretti telling NBC “I did not initiate that” and suggesting it was a Red Bull show run on Pennsylvania Avenue earlier in April that caught they eye.

Since then, U.S. Senators have called on the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission to investigate what they describe as “the exclusion of Andretti Formula Racing, LLC from entering the Formula One Championship series,” despite FOM’s stance regarding an entry in 2028.

The day also feels wonky because traditionally we'd get FP1 and FP2 at Monaco today with Friday being a break for hobknobbing and sponsor commitments, but now it's a regular weekend.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I got up today planning to watch and saw that change.
Any idea why? I think it's a good idea but why now instead of years ago?

Posts: 9643 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I fired up F1TV & was sad to only find F2/F3/PSC practice.

I remember it being mentioned as a cost cutting measure last year or the year before

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
https://racingnews365.com/why-...%20hectic%20schedule.

Key passage in the quotes:

quote:
Why F1 changed the schedule

Recent seasons have seen an increase in the amount of races that have been held each year, with the current schedule set for 24 grand prix.

Monaco also plays host to a double-header as it immediately follows the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, which was won by Red Bull and Max Verstappen.

The more aggressive schedule in recent seasons has placed increased strain on the travelling members of the paddock, with the extra day before on-track action beginning providing vital time to set up for the weekend.

If F1 had kept its Thursday practice slot for Monaco, media day would have been held on Wednesday - giving teams just two days to leave Imola and set up shop at Monaco.

Taking the Friday break away gives the travelling circus some time to recover during what is already a hectic schedule.

As such, it is unlikely that the Thursday practice sessions will return anytime soon.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Makes sense I suppose.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Decent field mix after practice today.
Not the RBR dominance we've seen the past many races.
Thought Sauber had some pace in FP1 then dropped like a stone in FP2 [but didn't run the soft].

Couldn't tell if it was the roads at T3 causing the crazy bumpiness or that in combination with the stiff setup on the cars. Perez looked especially bad there. The onboard made it look awful.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I watch it on F1TV and they showed a lot of the super slow mo's of the guardrail to tires.

Pretty impressive to see the distance at 100+ MPH is plus/minus the thickness of a piece of paper.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3816617608627068

posted Hide Post
Great to see Leclerc break his curse and take victory at his home race. Except for the wrecks on the first laps, the rest was a typical Monaco snooze fest.

Posts: 3355 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Took me some time to get used to Harry over Croft.
A bit less ecstatic energy at the start, but he & Karun did work well together.

A lap or 2 more & I think the top step would've definitely been different.
Either a swap of 1/2 or 3rd moving up to first with a heap of mangled carbon left behind.

Going back to last week’s race on the day of the Monaco GP, but I saw the comments on the announcing team. I was tempted to turn the sound down. There didn’t seem to a second of silence—they talked incessantly.

Posts: 13379 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, another race saved by Kevin Magnassen.

posted Hide Post
All I could focus on during the award ceremony is how LeClerec dropped his nation's flag on the ground and left it there during the entire ceremony.

Posts: 704 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Well, another race saved by Kevin Magnassen.

The Mansell callout at the end as Verstappen closed on Russell gave me a chuckle.
I just watched Monaco 92 this week, so it was fresh.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I read that this was the first time ever that the top ten in qualifying was the same as the top ten finishers.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I read that this was the first time ever that the top ten in qualifying was the same as the top ten finishers.

Eek
Probably only possible at the Monaco parade