SIGforum
Formula 1 Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4930026714

May 20, 2019, 07:59 PM
220-9er
Formula 1 Discussion
RIP Niki Lauda. Died today of kidney failure, many months after a double lung transplant.
I suspect that was a decades old delayed result of the burns he suffered to his lungs in 1976.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

May 20, 2019, 10:29 PM
Ripley
RIP Niki, he made the grim reaper wait a very long time.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
May 20, 2019, 11:53 PM
newtoSig765
A sad day for all of us who remember him.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
May 21, 2019, 01:48 AM
Sailor1911
Indeed, a sad day. Niki was a great one. RIP Niki Lauda

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
May 21, 2019, 08:02 AM
220-9er
If ever there was an individual larger than life. Even outside of racing.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a5oypbl/

He gave his trophies away to a local guy in exchange for free car washes. A good article about him.
https://www.planetf1.com/featu...ash-hunt-and-safety/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

May 21, 2019, 08:48 AM
P250UA5
RIP Niki
Frown

The Enemy's gate is down.
May 21, 2019, 11:08 AM
drew3630
I think he knew he was living on borrowed time since that accident at the German Grand Prix. To borrow a phrase from Game of Thrones, he told the god of death in 1976, "not today".

RIP Niki Lauda
May 21, 2019, 11:45 AM
DanH
The man cheated death and got an extra 43 years. Can't complain about that. RIP...
May 21, 2019, 02:28 PM
P250UA5

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rWMe5aT3Q

May 21, 2019, 06:28 PM
SIGnified
The passing of an era. He had a phenomenal life. Something to celebrate.

I’ll always get a chuckle from RUSH where the Italians are picking up the hitch-hiking couple ... “Niki Lauda, Niki Lauda” !!!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
May 25, 2019, 03:38 PM
P250UA5
Nearly a sub-70 second lap of Monaco Eek
They mentioned that Senna's best was never any lower than 1:20.

May 25, 2019, 05:06 PM
DanH
From the first few races this year, it was obvious Ferrari were screwing Charles Leclerc, but after qualifying today, I think they're just flat spit-roasting the poor guy. I'm seriously thinking the Italians in management need fired and the team ran like Jean Todt ran it in the late 90's. At this rate, Red Bull and Honda are going to overtake Ferrari in the points.
May 25, 2019, 06:36 PM
Scurvy
This has been the worst season of F1 in recent memory.
May 25, 2019, 07:31 PM
nhtagmember
holy crap - what a miserable qual today for Ferrari. Heads need to roll before tomorrow's race.

and Vettel was seriously off his game...doesn't bode well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

May 25, 2019, 10:31 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
This has been the worst season of F1 in recent memory.

I'm seeing elsewhere some taking critics to task, saying they're the problem if they are unhappy. Don't be dissuaded or fooled, this year really sucks.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
May 26, 2019, 02:34 AM
HuskySig
The only thing going for the Monaco GP is the glitz and glamour. The actual racing tends to be quite dull in my opinion. Unless there's a mechanical failure, the race was won in Q3.
May 26, 2019, 10:01 AM
scot818
The Monaco Grand Prix Parade...
May 26, 2019, 10:13 AM
newtoSig765
I caught the last ten laps on a Mexican station and couldn't understand the commentary, of course, but it looks like Verstappen caught himself a 5-second penalty for unsafe driving that booted him out of second place.

Fuck the little fucker.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
May 26, 2019, 04:14 PM
Day_late
My interest in auto racing was rekindled by this thread, but it's been a long time since I was last interested. Watching Hamilton control today's race was more interesting than I would have expected, mostly because of wondering whether his tires would get him to the finish. Also interesting that the outcomes of both Monaco and Indy were determined in the pits.
May 26, 2019, 06:16 PM
220-9er
I can't blame the penalty on Max (and I'm not a big Max fan), maybe even the team. The pits there make it impossible to see what's going on around you. Max did a good job not to hit Bottas even harder.

"both Monaco and Indy were determined in the pits"

Indy was fuel mileage vs raw power and when the last yellow came out Rossi had an almost impossible task. Otherwise it would have beed Honda engine cars racing t=for the win.