SIGforum
Formula 1 Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4930026714

November 22, 2022, 11:38 AM
jhe888
Formula 1 Discussion
That was an extremely boring season.

Let's hope for more competitive racing next year.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 22, 2022, 12:53 PM
P250UA5
It had its highlights, but as a whole, apart from Ferrari strategy implosion, status quo was established pretty quickly.
Midfield was the best.

Now that they have a season of ground effect under their belts, maybe we see some new developments for 23.

103 days to lights out in Bahrain.

The Enemy's gate is down.
November 23, 2022, 07:30 AM
P250UA5
Ricciardo Re-Signs with RBR

quote:
​​​​​​​
Red Bull have confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will return to the squad – with whom he won seven Grands Prix – as third driver for 2023.

At the end of this season, Ricciardo departed McLaren to make way for compatriot Oscar Piastri, who races alongside Lando Norris in 2023. The eight-time Grand Prix winner – who took a one-two for McLaren at Monza in 2021 – will return to Red Bull to assist with testing, simulator work and commercial activity.

Ricciardo, 33, hinted strongly at a return to Red Bull in a reserve capacity after leaving McLaren without another full-time role set up.

"The smile says it all," he said. "I’m truly excited to be coming back home to Oracle Red Bull Racing as their Third Driver in 2023. I already have so many fond memories of my time here, but the welcome from Christian [Horner], Dr [Helmut] Marko and the entire team is something I’m sincerely appreciative of.

"For me personally, the ability to contribute to and be surrounded by the best team in F1 is hugely appealing, whilst also giving me some time to recharge and refocus. I can’t wait to be with the team and support with simulator work, testing sessions and commercial activities. Let’s go!”

This feature is currently not available because you need to provide consent to functional cookies. Please update your cookie preferences

The Australian made his debut for HRT in 2011 but joined Red Bull feeder squad Toro Rosso the following year, before being called up to Red Bull in 2014. There, he partnered Sebastian Vettel, Daniil Kvyat and Max Verstappen.

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner added: “It is great to bring Daniel back into the Red Bull family. He has enormous talent and such a brilliant character; I know the whole factory is excited to be welcoming him home.

“In his role as test and third driver, Daniel will give us the chance to diversify, assisting in the development of the car, aiding the team with his experience and knowledge of what it takes to succeed in F1. We’re very pleased to be working with Daniel again and look forward to everything he will bring to the team in 2023.”

November 29, 2022, 08:48 AM
DanH
So did he jump or was he pushed:

https://racer.com/2022/11/29/b...rari-team-principal/

quote:
Binotto resigns as Ferrari team principal
Chris MedlandNovember 29, 2022 8:41 AM ET

Mattia Binotto has resigned from his position as Ferrari team principal and will leave the company on December 31.

Ferrari made a clear step forward after two underperforming seasons in 2020 and 2021, finishing second in the constructors’ championship this year and winning four races. However, it made a number of strategic errors and had poor reliability that led to it falling out of title contention early on despite a very quick car.

“With the regret that this entails, I have decided to conclude my collaboration with Ferrari,” Binotto said. “I am leaving a company that I love, which I have been part of for 28 years, with the serenity that comes from the convinction that I have made every effort to achieve the objectives set.

“I leave a united and growing team. A strong team, ready, I’m sure, to achieve the highest goals, to which I wish all the best for the future. I think it is right to take this step at this time as hard as this decision has been for me.

“I would like to thank all the people at the Gestione Sportiva who have shared this journey with me, made up of difficulties but also of great satisfaction.”

Binotto has been in the role since taking over from Maurizio Arrivabene in 2019 and Ferrari says it expects to finalize a replacement in the new year. Alfa Romeo team principal Fred Vasseur has been linked with the position since rumors surfaced of Binotto’s departure two weeks ago ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Ferrari CEO Benedetto Vigna says Binotto leaves the team well-placed to challenge for championships next season and in the near future.

“I would like to thank Mattia for his many great contributions over 28 years with Ferrari and particularly for leading the team back to a position of competitiveness during this past year,” Vigna said. “As a result, we are in a strong position to renew our challenge, above all for our amazing fans around the world, to win the ultimate prize in motorsport.

“Everyone here at the Scuderia and in the wider Ferrari community wishes Mattia well for the future.”

Just because your a great engineer doesn’t mean you can run the entire team.
November 29, 2022, 11:51 AM
P250UA5
Leading rumor seems to be F Vasseur to move from Alfa to Ferrari.
Saw a 2nd that maybe Ross Brawn could take the job, but less likely.

November 29, 2022, 12:17 PM
xd45man
Re: Binotto
My wife is a Ferrari fan because she likes the French boy. Me being a Bottas fan have my own miseries but I digress.

Anyway, all I have been hearing for the last 2 seasons from my wife is that Binotto has got to go. She says they have the worst strategists. I tend to question some of their pit stops on race day.

So, I am sure she has heard about this and will be full of joy later and will talk about Charles like she has a chance. She's mid 40s and had a couple of kids, so I think I don't have to worry about her running off with the French boy to Monaco.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone
November 29, 2022, 12:31 PM
HuskySig
More clown show moves by Ferrari
November 29, 2022, 04:44 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Re: Binotto
My wife is a Ferrari fan because she likes the French boy. Me being a Bottas fan have my own miseries but I digress

Hopefully, if Vasseur leaves Alfa to go to Ferrari, the team maintains/improves their trajectory.
Would love to see Bottas back at the front.

November 30, 2022, 01:02 PM
220-9er
Looks like yet another soap opera at Ferrari.
Now that they have a relatively competitive car again and something to build on, they may have upset not just the management but also the technical department. Unlike most teams, Binotto was in charge of both departments at Ferrari.

By all accounts he was extremely competent in his technical skills. He had also calmed down the constant chaos and finger pointing in the rest of the team although maybe a bit too much. Something clearly needed to change in the strategy area, in spite of an excellent call (or good luck) in their last race.
By his resignation it appears he decided to jump before being pushed. That either caught management by surprise or maybe they have something up their sleeve. In any case, none of their options seem to be a major step forward.

The next few weeks should be interesting. Fred V at Sauber seems to be the guy most mentioned and that team will be in for some major changes as they transition to Audi ownership in the next few years.

I suspect Binotto won't have to wait long for some job offers and maybe a larger paycheck too. In spite of being Italian and having had the dream job at Ferrari, (??) he won't miss the pressure and moving targets.

November 30, 2022, 01:23 PM
P250UA5
If Ferrari can keep someone competent in the principal position & improve strategy, they'll be giving RBR a run for their money next year.

That, and reliability. The Ferrari PU seemed the most fragile of the group, particularly at the customer teams, but even a few booms from the works team..

November 30, 2022, 01:35 PM
DanH
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I suspect Binotto won't have to wait long for some job offers and maybe a larger paycheck too. In spite of being Italian and having had the dream job at Ferrari, (??) he won't miss the pressure and moving targets.

It probably will be a while since there’s a 99.9% chance he’ll be on some kind of gardening leave before he’d be allowed anywhere. He probably will have a technical job somewhere the day after it expires.
December 01, 2022, 07:39 AM
220-9er
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

It probably will be a while since there’s a 99.9% chance he’ll be on some kind of gardening leave before he’d be allowed anywhere. He probably will have a technical job somewhere the day after it expires.

Gardening leave means you can't work there but it doesn't mean you can't talk and cut a deal in the mean time. Several other have done exactly that.
This may have been a brilliant stroke of luck or even strategy (ironic to say the least) for both Binotto and Audi.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...n-elkann-talks-audi/

December 12, 2022, 08:26 PM
P250UA5
Capito & Demaison out at Williams

December 13, 2022, 06:23 AM
220-9er
Looks like the merry go round in full swing today.
Fred to Ferrari, Seidel to Sauber as CEO (but not TP), Stella promoted to McLaren TP.
Lot’s of movement at the top of teams so surely a lot of lower level movement to follow.

December 14, 2022, 06:24 PM
HRK
Ford may be entering F1? That would be interesting to see....

Link

With Porsche's venture into Formula 1 via Red Bull ruled out, it's been rumored that several other automakers are interested in partnering with the reigning champs come 2026. Ford has apparently entered the chat, looking to cash in on F1's recent surge in popularity in the United States, reports Motorsport.com.

Citing unnamed sources, the report claims that a partnership with Red Bull could be one avenue for the Blue Oval to return to the pinnacle of motorsport. Reportedly, there's little to no desire for Ford to fund a full works team at the moment or in the near future. Therefore, a "badging exercise" with some engineering and technical assistance to Red Bull—along with a hefty check, of course—could be just what the Dearborn automaker is looking for.

The report cites a comment from Red Bull team principal Christan Horner earlier this year, where he openly expresses the team's desire to find a "like-minded partner."

“We are fully focused on a Red Bull power unit, and if there was a like-minded partner that could contribute something to the project, then of course you would have to absolutely consider that. But it's not a prerequisite," said Horner, according to Motorsport.com “We will be the only team other than Ferrari to have engine and chassis all on one campus under one roof."

It's believed that partnering with someone like Ford would guarantee the team a lot more freedoms—freedoms that Porsche did not allow. It's reported that the German automaker wanted greater control of the operations than Red Bull was willing to give, including an ownership stake in the team.

Of course, this remains merely a rumor, given the fact that neither Red Bull nor Ford have publicly mentioned each other's names, let alone made a statement on the matter. We've reached out to Ford for comment and will update this story when we hear back.

Ford is no stranger to Formula 1, of course. The American automaker's logo has been proudly shown off in several racing cars over the years. The famous—and rather colorful—Benetton car from the Schumacher era was powered by a screaming Ford V8 that helped the German to two world championships. Later on, there was the Stewart F1 team, which ran solid white cars with a huge Blue Oval and HSBC sponsorship.

Its most recent role in F1 dates back to 2000 when Ford ran the Jaguar F1 Racing team, sadly without much success. It also provided engines to Eddie Jordan's team, powering the last batch of the iconic yellow cars. Jaguar F1 was eventually sold to a newcomer in the sport—can you guess who? Yup, Red Bull.

Outside of F1, Ford has worked with Red Bull via successful partnerships in rally racing, proving that the two companies aren't exactly strangers to each other.

December 15, 2022, 08:39 AM
P250UA5
Schumacher joins Mercedes as Reserve Driver

December 15, 2022, 10:34 AM
220-9er
quote:
Ford may be entering F1? That would be interesting to see....

Ford CEO Jim Farley is a racing enthusiast and vintage car racer.
Most of the large manufacturers that have quickly bought into F1 have also exited just as quickly when circumstances changed, often after a change in upper management that created the original interest.
I suspect that there could be changes at Red Bull at some point given the owner recently died and the team has to be at the top of it's value right now in the marketplace.
My memory is that Honda has a deal in place to officially return with Red Bull (next significant rules change)in 2026 and is still involved, although more behind the scenes now. That would seem to rule out Ford going there.

If Ford goes the longer term route, there are a number of teams in the back half of the grid that could be purchased and restructured before 2026, the way Audi has chosen to go.
Also possible the economy has big issues before then, and racing is one of the first things on the chopping block for many companies that are just interested in the marketing aspect.
The off-season has already been unusually active so far, so who knows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

December 15, 2022, 10:48 AM
HRK
Looks like Ford is trying to enter F1 with RedBull as a marketing exercise vs owning and controlling a team, might be something RedBull would like.

A non controlling marketing partner that provides large sums of cash for exposure time, and they (RedBull) retain control of the enterprise, training, development, management, racers, etc...

Interesting way to get into F1 without getting into F1's massive cost and management headaches.

I'd be more inclined to watch F1 if there were US participants, the events in the US probably peaked Farley's interests.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

December 15, 2022, 11:48 AM
P250UA5
Big Grin

December 21, 2022, 05:29 PM
Pipe Smoker
“America has moved a step closer to gaining a second Formula One team, after Andretti Autosport reportedly received huge financial backing from a private equity firm.

The group, led by Michael Andretti - son of former F1 champion Mario - currently has teams in various series, including IndyCar, Formula E and Extreme E, but has yet to break into the F1 market.

Now, though, it appears the Formula One dream is a step closer, as Front Office Sports reports they have received a cash injection from private equity firm Guggenheim Partners, who have $285billion in assets under management. …”

https://mol.im/a/11563607

Serious about crackers