SIGforum
Formula 1 Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4930026714

September 12, 2021, 06:40 PM
berto
Formula 1 Discussion
Decent race in the end. Happy Danny Ric won. Lew and Max playing chicken with each other could start to make things interesting. Bottas reaction to being asked about and shown the incident was great.
September 12, 2021, 07:16 PM
DanH
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
I did not hear but why no medical car and even red flag when you have a car on top?

Max should get 3 points on his license for not seeing if Hamilton was ok. That was beyond rivalry

Next race Max will now take a new power unit. So penalty not too much impact.

Love Lando. Do you think it is most beneficial to the team that Danny wins.

1) Because there was nothing wrong with Lewis. He was awake and moving the entire time. He was probably checked out at the infield care center, but nothing else was really needed for him.

2) Max got 2 points just like Lewis got 2 points when he tried out for the Highway Patrol and pitted Max in Silverstone.

3) Team wise, it doesn't matter as McLaren will still get the same amount of points, but Riccardo needed the points more to get out of his struggle in the midfield while Lando being 4th right now is just him being an overachiever.
September 12, 2021, 07:22 PM
220-9er
I think Lando and the team were worried that by having them race each other or swapping positions, it would slow them back into Perez and Bottas.
I was surprised they had so much pace in hand. The last lap they both turned the fastest laps of the race, Danny a tenth quicker than Lando.

The three place grid drop is about as light as they could do, a hand slap.

The engine swaps and penalties coming up for everyone seem to be a bigger issue. They are just over half way through the season so they all may end up taking more than one more before the season ends.

September 12, 2021, 10:41 PM
9mmepiphany
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Kind of artificially exciting as Ric basically had the field backed up. I liked Lando before, much more so today after he diplomatically led the team to tell him to hold position. He let Ric get some gap and finish with no pressure.

Talk about n couple of good drivers putting the team first

Just before Lando radioed that Danny Ric was driving too slow,Danny radioed the Pit to ask if he should slow down a bit to provide a bit of a slipstream to help Lando with extra speed...as he was lacking DRS capability

No, Daoism isn't a religion

September 12, 2021, 10:53 PM
Ripley
Never a Bottas fan but an impressive drive today.
He drove like he had nothing to lose. Too bad for him he never figured out the other side of that, driving with everything to gain.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
September 12, 2021, 10:56 PM
P250UA5
Enjoyed the race, especially without a runaway out front.
Bottas stormed the field, and was flying, even on the hard tire.

Knew the top 3-5 would be a lot harder to pass.

Glad to see DR back on top. First McLaren 1-2 in 11 years Eek

IIRC, no one was lapped. SC & VSC likely helped with that.

The Enemy's gate is down.
September 13, 2021, 09:38 AM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
I did not hear but why no medical car and even red flag when you have a car on top?

Max should get 3 points on his license for not seeing if Hamilton was ok. That was beyond rivalry

There is no regulation that says you have to check on another driver. Consequently, there can not be any penalty for not doing so. Also, although Max knew his car went over Hammy’s car, I’m sure he didn’t know that his wheel went over his head, and since he saw him moving around in the cockpit and trying to reverse out, he correctly assumed he was OK.

Not only that, it’s pretty dangerous to go up to the cockpit of a car that’s trying to reverse out. If Hammy had pulled free, there is a good chance that someone standing next to the cockpit may have been clipped by the front wing, or what was left of it.
September 13, 2021, 10:45 AM
jhe888
It was a good race, especially after the snooze in Holland.

I thought the crash was a no-penalty event, but if you were going to penalize anyone, it was going to be Verstappen, as Hamilton was ahead of him at that point. It looked to me that Hamilton left Verstappen a scant car's width, but no more. The curbs really caused the wreck in my view.

Everyone loves to see Ricciardo win. He is such a likable fellow. Norris was the perfect teammate. It kinds of reminds you of what racing would be like if MB and Red Bull weren't so dominant. Maybe the formula changes will help next year.

Bottas drove very well, obviously.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 13, 2021, 11:41 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It was a good race, especially after the snooze in Holland.

I thought the crash was a no-penalty event, but if you were going to penalize anyone, it was going to be Verstappen, as Hamilton was ahead of him at that point. It looked to me that Hamilton left Verstappen a scant car's width, but no more. The curbs really caused the wreck in my view.

Everyone loves to see Ricciardo win. He is such a likable fellow. Norris was the perfect teammate. It kinds of reminds you of what racing would be like if MB and Red Bull weren't so dominant. Maybe the formula changes will help next year.

Bottas drove very well, obviously.

Maybe, with the sliding allocation of wind tunnel testing, MB & RBR will get a lot less & teams like Williams & Alfa will get >100%. Hopefully stuff like that can narrow the gap at the front & the back.

I'm a Bottas fan, so hopefully Alfa can give him a good car. Maybe they get it right & come out of the gate with a Williams 2014 start.
I read something that Alfa was looking forward to the change, so they could rectify their 'mistake' on the front wing. They, and Ferrari, went with the heavily tapered outer edge of the front wing elements. Alfa didn't have the resources to fully redesign the car in order to alter that front wing profile.

September 15, 2021, 11:07 PM
P250UA5
Watched about 1/2 the Schumacher documentary on Netflix, up to the end of '97.
Nothing new that I didn't know before, but still enjoying it.

September 16, 2021, 08:30 AM
220-9er
I did the same up until about 25 minutes to go. They are at the end of his first four years at Ferrari when he breaks his leg.
It's OK, not great. I was surprised that they have addressed some of his controversial moments in a way I didn't expect including some polite but critical interviews.

September 16, 2021, 09:37 AM
Georgeair
quote:
including some polite but critical interviews.

Wondering if one of those will be Damon Hill. On the F1 Nation podcast they occasionally drift near their conflicts and he is always very carefully respectful but still clearly not willing to cut Michael any slack for his actions. Which is ok, IMHO.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

September 16, 2021, 10:38 AM
220-9er
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
including some polite but critical interviews.

Wondering if one of those will be Damon Hill. On the F1 Nation podcast they occasionally drift near their conflicts and he is always very carefully respectful but still clearly not willing to cut Michael any slack for his actions. Which is ok, IMHO.

Yes, both Hill and Villeneuve and some others that I didn't expect too, like Ross Brawn.
They were generally respectful but told it like it is.

September 16, 2021, 11:06 AM
Coolsteel
It was a surprisingly interesting race, especially when 1 car lead basically the whole race. Great to see Ricardo get a win. Still don't know what to think of the sprint races. I started watching F1 in 2018 and this is the most interesting season I have seen by far.
September 18, 2021, 06:33 PM
220-9er
Watched the rest of the Schumacher movie.
The first half could have been condensed a bit, maybe half as long.
The second half was good and was more candid than I expected.
In the end, they didn't really explain what had happened, so those that don't know whole the story still don't.

September 25, 2021, 02:12 PM
P250UA5
Shocking quali result. Quite pleased with that, but wish VB hadn't been held up in the pits.

September 26, 2021, 11:44 AM
DanH
Great start, dull middle, and exciting finish. Gutted for Norris and McLaren. Hope things go better for them in Long Beach today.
September 26, 2021, 01:50 PM
P250UA5
Gutted for Norris, some fine car control to keep it out of the wall, though.

Glad VB made a recovery with the rain.

September 26, 2021, 04:14 PM
TMats
Norris deserved a victory. It sounded to me like he was adamant about staying out on the slicks, and his team didn’t overrule him. Truly sorry.

The race was very entertaining and with Max charging from the back and with McClaren, Ferrari, and even Alpine competitive, there was lots of exciting racing all day long.

Max pretty well positioned now. New engine going forward and an unexpected second place finish.

September 27, 2021, 07:11 AM
holdem
One of the best (most exciting) finishes I have seen. I was jumping around in my seat and hollering at the TV.