SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" Cancelled Despite Decent Ratings, Was It His Politics?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" Cancelled Despite Decent Ratings, Was It His Politics? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife and I LOVE this series and watch it in reruns and on Netflix all the time. One of those rare TV shows that doesn't portray conservatives as dangerous lunatics but as regular, normal people. The two older daughters on the show are VERY easy on the eyes too, a bonus. Big Grin

Now it's been canceled after 6 seasons of pulling in decent ratings for an ABC show in a Friday night time slot. Some people are starting to suspect it was Tim Allen's politics and not ratings that led to the show's demise. Still, 6 years IS a decent run for a sitcom like this one.

quote:

Was Conservative ‘Last Man Standing’ Canceled Because of Politics?
As Tim Allen's show is axed, evidence mounts that those on the right have it harder in entertainment land

The conservative comedy series “Last Man Standing” was the third most watched scripted show on ABC (behind “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Modern Family”). The Tim Allen-starring sitcom averaged 6.4 million viewers in its final season (quite a feat today) — and it regularly won its time slot on Friday night.

Despite all of this, “Last Man Standing” has been canceled after six seasons.

Tim Allen’s sitcom appealed to America’s heartland. It focused on a main character who was a devout Christian and political conservative who targeted everything from Hillary Clinton to political correctness in his comedic tirades...

Was Conservative ‘Last Man Standing’ Canceled Because of Politics?

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In as much as it is a good headline there must be something else going on. Can they be so stupid to cancel a "money maker" (if it was)?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
....................................................................................................Tim Allen's Right.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
..................................................................................................I see what you did there.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I guess if you're the lead character and the scripts let you wear your politics on your sleeve, Hollyweird will eventually punish you.

Joe Mantegna has lasted 10 years on Criminal Minds but is part of an ensemble cast with no conservative message - they've left him alone.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he knew the job was dangerous when he took it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZZ0IJL2_w

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I originally thought it was going to be cancelled midway through the third season based on an article I read way back when. I am honestly surprised that it's lasted five seasons.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Could be simply about money (cast wants more per episode, etc) or other non-political issues. TV/Hollywood is weird about stuff.

EDIT:

According to Variety Magazine, it was due to declining ratings.

TV only wants "the new hotness." Once ratings decline below a certain threshold...out you go.

Lower ratings=lower ad revenue.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I figured with the stale plots it was going to be cancelled either this year or next. It was falling victim to every show with child actors, they grow up. While they handled it well for the most part, it just wasn't becoming feasible to have a show about a man living in a house full of women when all his daughters have moved out and it's just he and his wife. That's when it turns into Empty Nest.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The ratings were some of the better ones on Friday night. Last week I saw an article that said they were a lock to get renewed.

Politics had a lot to do with it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
In as much as it is a good headline there must be something else going on. Can they be so stupid to cancel a "money maker" (if it was)?

Simple answer is YES, yes they can.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
....................................................................................................Tim Allen's Right.
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
..................................................................................................I see what you did there.

You guys Big Grin

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I guess if you're the lead character and the scripts let you wear your politics on your sleeve, Hollyweird will eventually punish you.

Joe Mantegna has lasted 10 years on Criminal Minds but is part of an ensemble cast with no conservative message - they've left him alone.

Hollywood leaves the libtards alone that wear their politics on their sleeves

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 644 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay whats his name Leno was no giant help in the viewer numbers dept.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I forget where I read it but they are claiming something along the lines of a dispute between the production company 21st Century Fox and ABC. Granted I don't buy it an have a feeling Tim's constant shots at the left finally did it in. The wife and I loved the show and are both disappointed that it was canceled.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
For all its SJW leanings, Hollywood nonetheless is first and foremost a business. Clint Eastwood is one of the most respected active directors. Arnold Schwarzeneggar is still considered an A-list box-office draw. Dwayne Johnson was the highest paid actor in 2016, and yes, he's openly Republican. Even anti-Semite Mel Gibson has worked his way back into Hollyweird's graces (and bankability) with Hacksaw Ridge. And man, if there's one group you don't want as an enemy in Hollywood, it's the Jews - yes, even more so than the Gay Mafia.

Money talks; bullshit walks. If Tim Allen were making that much money for ABC, his show never would have been put on the chopping block. If it has enough of a following, then another network will pick it up. That's happened a lot in recent years.

I've never seen Last Man Standing, but I suspect it ran its course. Most successful drama and comedy shows have a good 5-7 seasons in them. Among the wildly successful ones (e.g., Cosby Show, Seinfeld, Friends, Two and Half Men, Big Bang Theory) that last beyond 7 seasons, even their most devoted fans will concede their show 'jumped the shark' around seasons 5-7. Home Improvement was one of the most popular and profitable sitcoms in its day, and it only lasted 8 seasons.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When me and the girlfriend watched the season finale, as the show was drawing to a close, she said "this is the end and or it will be cancelled shortly."

I asked why. She stated: the middle daughter got married, the youngest finally got her wish to go to a service academy not West Point but the Air Force, and everyone will be out of the house. So it has run its course.

I love the show but near the end of last season and the shows this year were as one member stated stale, and I didn't enjoy watching them.

I loved all the other seasons but the last 1.5 years were tough for me to watch.

As much I loved the show I think it is the right time to end it.

I think we will see some of the others ones ending within the next year or so. Those are (my favorites by the way) The Goldbergs and The Middle.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Until this thread, I had never heard of the show. I find current TV sitcoms are written and produced for a different type of individual.

So......last night we watched the first 3 episodes on Netflix.

It's not Home Improvement but I actually laughed a few times.....and a few times is more than I would laugh as a week's worth of current network sitcoms.

Tim Allen makes the show and I could see myself in him when he got his grandson kicked out of preschool.

Keep leaning right, Tim.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the show, very good cast. Sorry to see it go. I was surprised to see a show like that could find a home on a major network. Oldest daughter and her husband were the Meathead and Gloria political foils, but Tim Allen was no Archie. His arguments were pithy and cogent. They lost me a bit when the wife started to display liberal stripes out of the blue. Leno did nothing for the show, but the black neighbors across the street were a bullseye. The writing was pretty brave and non PC in its approach, particularly on race. Hector Elizondo was very good as well.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I never watched it on the network, but "discovered" it on Netflix last year and I've been watching it there. Love it, except I find Ryan really annoying and skip some of those episodes, but then Mike/Tim usually shoots him down. Big Grin

I do agree that any series will run its course eventually and it'll be time for it to be retired.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post