SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Nichelle Nichols Dead at 89:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nichelle Nichols Dead at 89: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
https://people.com/tv/stars-ho...ols-after-her-death/

quote:
Hollywood is grieving the loss of industry trailblazer Nichelle Nichols after her death at age 89.

On Sunday, Nichols' son Kyle Johnson posted a statement via Facebook announcing the news of his mother's death.

"Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away," he wrote in part. "Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration."

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
Just saw this, and was about to post it as well.

So many of them gone. RIP, Nichelle.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 642 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's sad. She was a class act.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
So sad. Goodbye, Nyota Uhura.

And of course you guys know what she did on-screen that had never been done before in television history.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16252 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
So sad. Goodbye, Nyota Uhura.

And of course you guys know what she did on-screen that had never been done before in television history.

First mixed-race kiss.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16485 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Right the first time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16252 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
William Shatner, who played Captain Kirk alongside Nichols on Star Trek, tweeted: “I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Nichelle. She was a beautiful woman & played an admirable character that did so much for redefining social issues both here in the US & throughout the world. I will certainly miss her. Sending my love and condolences to her family.”
https://tvline.com/2022/07/31/...hatner-george-takei/

Also loved her recounting meeting Martin Luther King who gave her advice when she was seriously considering leaving Star Trek.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Hailing frequencies are closed. God bless, sweet soul

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
She was such an integral part of Star Trek and that doesn’t leave too much of TOS cast left Frown

One of my favorite scenes with her:

“We am thy freighter Ursva”

Posts: 33580 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Nyota
Hailing frequencies are closed. Another great one gone but not forgotten.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironically, the episode "Plato's Stepchildren" played here on Friday night, the 29th. Supposedly her favorite episode of the series. It was the first time I ever saw it and thought it was a very good episode.

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
One of the first, one of the best. She will be missed.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
She was a woman of grace.

I am sorry she is gone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news

she went where others had never gone - what a trailblazer for TV given the time period

Posts: 53076 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I got to see her at a Trek convention and she showed her great love to fans with an impromptu performance of her song from Star Trek V. One of the fans provided her the words they had brought hopping she might sing it, which she did, quite beautifully.

Rest in peace Ms. Nichols.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Awwwwwww Frown

Someone must have been a huge Trek nerd, was on my way in to work and passed a large electronic billboard on the highway and it had this:

BOLDY GONE (in classic Star Trek font)
This picture:

And this caption:

Remembering Nichelle Nichols 1932-2022

Posts: 33580 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a DVD set of the older Trek movies. An image of her graces the jacket for Star Trek V; believe that will be the one I watch tonight. I'll listen out for the song that HKg3 mentioned and lift my glass to her.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
A true icon

Time to explore the universe now for real …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I read this with great sadness with a lump in my throat and fuzzy monitor. Yes...hailing frequency closed. She was the first to go where "no one" had gone before... Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Her whole public life was defined by that role. She definitely seemed to be a class act.

Not much left of the original bridge crew.

Walter Koenig and George Takei are both 85.
And William Shatner is 91.

Posts: 7227 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post