SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What was the video game you were best at as a kid?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was the video game you were best at as a kid? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Defender and Galaga, mostly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"As a kid?" You mean I'm not still a kid?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Robotron 2084

But not a kid. I had to regularly shoot St. Louis Blues hockey games
and Robotron's speed and density kept me sharp.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

River Raid, but I was no longer a kid when video games came along.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Born in ‘80, so I cut my teeth on NES, but really hit my stride on SNES.

I dominated StarFox, F-Zero, and the original MarioKart.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Battle Zone.

I had my initials on every one of those machines I could find. I even had a full-size machine of my own for a time.

I'd still be playing it if I had a two-stick controller.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Galaga, This came out of a Mr Gattis many years ago. Also has Pac Man and Ms Pac Man.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Microprose's Gunship. LOVED that game, the 1986 version. I loved the subsequent version as well but the original along with EA's Wasteland and Sid Meir's Pirates were by favorites.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid in my early 20s when video games were the rage: Space Invaders.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was never very good at any of them. I was too old when the rage hit. My son was a wizard in his youth. He loved Mario Bros.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i recall being pretty good at Joust

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, everything was mechanical.
The etch-a-sketch was the first thing I remember and even that was mechanical.
Then there was the vibrating or Electric Football game but that had very little user input.
Kids nowadays, they miss out on all the good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8y0_XVnCII

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Gee, maybe Tempest?

In high school, I was all about Cobra Command. That laserdisc game was always tougher to track down in arcades and bowling alleys.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Marvel vs Capcom 2 - We played tournaments all over the country. I was never as good as Justin Wong but we played well for our area of the country.

NFL Fever was Xbox's answer to Madden, never went anywhere, but I never lost in it. Played all over the city when we got our first xbox at 18 years old during release. Never lose 1 game somehow.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Galaga also for me. We had an Aladdin’s Castle and, two or three units down at the same mall, an aforementioned Mr. Gatti’s Pizza.

One otherwise quiet after-school afternoon, it was just me and Galaga at Mr. Gatti’s. “Turned the machine over” score-wise in the parlance of the day. It was the only time I ever did that and, of course, no one else with me to witness it. What a blast!

Years later, a church we used to attend added a Galaga to their recreation-room. I admit - I slipped-away from a class or service or two to play a few rounds haha…

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Missile Command.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pong, it was all there was at the time..

Later in arcades, PacMan, Galaga, any racing game I'd stay on and dump quarters until I had the track record...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
galaga and centipede.
Loved an arcade version of Mortal Kombat and did pretty good with it.
Pinball machines

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
By the time the first video games appeared (table-top and stand-up console models for bars and arcades), I was no longer a "kid." (I regard myself as having been lucky to have grown up without them, honestly. We had to make up our own games--mostly outside.)

I was actually in the video game industry during those early years--working for a small manufacturer and distributor. I spent a lot of time on the bench testing them. I'd have friends stop by after the place was closed and we'd play all sorts of video games. (Asteroids, Tank Commander (?), Tailgunner, Space Invaders, Pacman, etc.)

As a result of all that: I burned out on video games and don't play them to this day.

One exception: There was one video game that attracted me, many years ago: 688 Attack Sub. Ran it on my Commodore Amiga.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Didn't have video games when I was a kid, but in my 20s I was bad-ass on Tempest.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post