SIGforum
What was the video game you were best at as a kid?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4780073884

January 10, 2022, 06:59 PM
p08
What was the video game you were best at as a kid?
For me, it was Galaga. Used to play it at Aladdin's Castle. When I would play it, it would take 1-2 hours to finish. I don't recall my high scores, I do remember having extra ships lines 2 deep on the bottom of the screen. Kids would put their token on the machine to claim it for them next. After waiting an hour or so they would give up and go play something else!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.
January 10, 2022, 07:16 PM
mark123
I was pretty good at Pac Man and Donkey Kong way back then.

The one I was the absolute worst at was Defender. I never could get on with that one.
January 10, 2022, 07:17 PM
Pyker
Frogger

or

Gauntlet
January 10, 2022, 07:20 PM
P250UA5
Arcade, DDR was always fun, but I was never great at it. Tons of cardio though.

Home, PlayStation, lots of hours on the various Gran Turismo games.

The Enemy's gate is down.
January 10, 2022, 07:31 PM
Batty67
I was pretty good at Scramble and Food Fight. But I never really excelled at any particular video game, though I blew through my allowance doled out quarter by quarter in the 80s.
January 10, 2022, 07:40 PM
RogueJSK
Probably a tie between Mario Kart on the SNES and then N64, and TIE Fighter on the PC.
January 10, 2022, 07:43 PM
parabellum
Well, when I was a kid, there were no video games. But, when I was 19, Williams introduced the arcade game Defender.

Undefeated for high score, that was me, at least in my neck of the woods. When you got a high score, the machine let you enter three letters, supposed to be your initials, I guess, but I went by "LSD" and every Defender machine in my town had that name all over it. No joke.

Man, this brings me back. Just the sound alone is enough.

Hell, I'm way better than this guy

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
January 10, 2022, 07:53 PM
Oz_Shadow
Mike Tyson’s Punch Out.

I was pretty good at Tetris on a Game Boy too. Only game I had for it.
January 10, 2022, 08:23 PM
Turbo216
Contra on NES. Of course, I was way better once I entered the code for 99 lives.

Hater of fun since 2001!
January 10, 2022, 08:33 PM
Black92LX
Tecmo Super Bowl on NES
NBA Live ‘95 SNES
Goldeneye N64
Counter Strike PC

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
January 10, 2022, 08:51 PM
sig operator
Missile Command and Tron played with my kids. No video when I was young.
January 10, 2022, 09:00 PM
bobandmikako
In high school, I was unbeatable at Space Invaders, at least around the area.

十人十色
January 10, 2022, 09:04 PM
flesheatingvirus
In addition to a multitude of console and PC games, I’ll have to go with some first person shooters. Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal, then Halo. I was also pretty good and Command & Conquer and Red Alert. All of those had some good multiplayer. I can’t really narrow it down to one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
January 10, 2022, 09:15 PM
NewRiverGeorge
Street Fighter II
Tekken 2,3
January 10, 2022, 09:19 PM
Orive 8
Video games came out towards the end of my H.S. days, and I really wasn't into them. But in college, my game of choice was Foosball. My girlfriend (later my wife) and I would hold the table for hours upon hours. Missed a few classes because of this...

Its been years since I have played on a Foosball table though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
January 10, 2022, 09:29 PM
feersum dreadnaught
Pong

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
January 10, 2022, 09:39 PM
corsair
Joust
January 10, 2022, 09:40 PM
p08
So no one had an Odyssey game console? We played pong on it and other games involving a white dot. Had screens that stuck to the TV with static cling. 1972 I was 8.
http://mrglitchsreviews.blogsp...agnavox-odyssey.html

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.
January 10, 2022, 09:51 PM
cas

January 10, 2022, 10:21 PM
specter77
The first video game that I played was Tank. It was at the Ohio State fair back in the mid 70's. I found an arcade that had it and I got pretty good. Played a lot of pong, fun but my younger sister beat me.

Although not a kid, while in Okinawa in 1982 the USO had Defender. I would spend Sunday afternoon eating at the grill they had and playing Defender. My initials were usually on top.

Not long before I rotated back to the States they got Stargate which was based on Defender. Great game after I got the hang of it.

I was best on a pinball game named AZTEC.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret