SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What covers of songs do you like as well or better than the original?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What covers of songs do you like as well or better than the original? Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I like Waylon's version just a wee bit better than Dobie Gray's and Uncle Kracker tries hard but comes in 3rd.

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I really like covers. I mean they have to be well done but I always enjoyed good ones. There was a rock station in ATL that had a show called Under The Covers with Aly that I loved to listen to. She played some great stuff.

Here are a few of my favorites, at least ones I prefer to the original:

Lissie - Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi. I don’t like the original much at all so this is an easy one. There is a remix version I like a lot but this is a true cover.

[

Orgy - Blue Monday by New Order from Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack which is full of really great 80s cover songs by 90s alternative bands.

Johnny Cash did a lot of great ones, he’s most famous for his cover of Hurt, so famous that even Trent Reznor who wrote it said that that’s Johnnys song now. I still prefer the NIN version of Hurt, by a lot actually, but his cover of Soundgardens Rusty Cage is phenomenal IMO

This is one of my favorites. Snake River Conspiracy - Lovesong by The Cure. I saw them open for A Perfect Circle at a shitty venue outside of ATL and the crowd wasn’t into it, partially because of the shitty acoustics, so I was able to get right up to the stage and was able to park there for A Perfect Circle which was great.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Couple of covers of Sinéad O’Connor songs.

Chris Cornell is a no brainer; he was one of the great male vocalists ever.

and Chevelle

Posts: 13162 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The Byrds cover of Dylans Mr Tambourine Man.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Green Manalishi by Judas Priest over Fleetwood Mac

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I love the song "Rainy Night in Georgia". Tony Joe White wrote it and sings it like he's lived it.

Brook Benton made it a monster hit and deserves praise and accolades.

Sam Moore and Conway Twitty sing it just for fun and their cover is my favorite but I love them all. Cool

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mike has so many.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Mike has so many.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SSvhWM9s5SE" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Mike Masse is the king of cover songs as far as I'm concerned. Very talented entertainer.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I like The Temptations, but I prefer this version by The Stones.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Good find, oddball!

I haven’t been following Mike Masse, but I recall that several years ago someone here introduced me to him in posting the cover of Toto’s “Africa,” that he and his bass player performed at a bar in Utah. I really like that song and I did buy that recording in iTunes.

Posts: 13162 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I love Gary Moore doing "Vodoo Chile".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h448aMqexuo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Toto fan, but The Italian Artists cover of Africa is actually better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uolDTn5Aoxo

They also cover Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, which may be better as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqjq-bhVhnM

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
This one blew me away. It got the 80's vibe, but some how changed the tone from more triumphant vs the 80s version of defiance. The video doesn't match my perception. Frown

Girls Aloud. A lot of their songs were remakes, but damn...

And not exactly a remake, but back when sampling was huge...

And the Blues Brothers made this song, but Art of Noise took it to the next leve:

And Wednesday Adams' version of Paint it Black is a nice melody version:

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I didn't read past page 1, but my vote is for "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix vs the original Bob Dylan version.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4980 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
The O"Riellys and the Paddyhats version of the boxer.
The Boxer

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3856 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing by Marcella Detroit featuring Elton John

Posts: 45325 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
"Hey Joe"
Writen by Bobby Roberts
Hendrix covered it but Otis kills it.

Posts: 1539 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post