SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Starts showing on Tuesday, this will be the thread to discuss the SPOILERS

You’ve been warned.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll catch it on the big IMAX screen.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Just bought tickets for the largest IMAX screen in Orlando on Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Just got back from it. They did a great job with it - fantastic movie. Saw it in a full theater and everyone was jazzed up. Some people in (fake) flight suits and jackets. Lots of clapping, cheering and laughing. One of the best movie experiences in many many yewrs.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Saw it this afternoon on a whim. I was apprehensive that it wouldn’t be very good. Didn’t know much about Miles Teller and wasn’t sure he would be good as Goose’s son. Plus the trailer had vibes of Iron Eagle.

Glad to say I was wrong. This movie was way better than I expected. My wife and son thought it was better than the first. Definitely has a more complex story. It was great to see the F-14 again.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was great to see the F-14 again.

Had to be a CGI jet, correct, or did they get one or two flying? I thought there were none left airworthy. Either or that is awesome.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
It was great to see the F-14 again.

Had to be a CGI jet, correct, or did they get one or two flying? I thought there were none left airworthy. Either or that is awesome.

Little CGI in this flick, my boy!

Here’s the story on the F14 (it did not fly)

https://variety.com/2022/artis...n-design-1235279218/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This movie is the Empire Strikes Back of the Top Gun franchise.

Saw it tonight with the wife; FAR FAR better than the original.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night- was not disappointed! Great flying sequences, that last part with the F14 was kinda silly but in a good way- I already decided to just have fun with wherever the movie went plot-wise.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I loved it. Really enjoyed the tie-ins to the original and how they handled the Iceman story. They did a great job and this is going to make so much money.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Son and I went just now for the 3pm showing. Only 12 of us in the theater.

We liked it!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night! Excellent!!!

Did anyone else get a star wars trench run vibe? The exhaust port 3 metets?(expected to hear about womp rats then)....oh, and targeting computer shuts off, drops two proton torp...er, smart bombs on the money.

I loved it. Best movie in a while.

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Saw it a couple of hours ago. This was the movie I was hoping for. I was skeptical, due to Hollyweird's track record. Movie was great!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Saw it tonight and I give it a solid... Meh. Miles was good but they should have left it alone.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it earlier tonight with the family, and it was pretty good, I thought. A couple of observations/questions for those more in the know than me……………I wouldn’t think they’d fly a mission like that without an electronic warfare aircraft, would they? And if you’re hitting the airfield with Tomahawks, why not target the SAM sites with Tomahawks as well?

Posts: 467 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it today. Definitely some stretches with the story line but overall I enjoyed it and thought it was better than the first movie. The flight scenes were impressive.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I saw the original so many times that I can pretty much quote the whole movie; not just the known parts.

As the new one opened with the original “gong” I got pretty excited!

Overall Maverick gave me everything I could have wanted, it was a modernized nostalgia piece that I am sure to see a few more times. (Seen it twice so far)

A few things I could have done without:

To me the brilliance of the original film was that you got the feeling that the pilots all knew each other; the scene in the bar introduced everyone and it felt very natural.

In the new film that scene felt super forced to me; having them literally walk in in small groups so their call signs could be announced took me out of it a bit; same with the initial Penny Benjamin scene; it just felt forced.

It was noticeably humorous that they dressed Rooster exactly like Goose in the opening scene and have him play the same song on the piano. I’m assuming so that folks who had maybe not seen TG1, could be beat over the head with the idea that there was some type of connection to the guy in the montage they played with Maverick looking into the bar after he’d been literally thrown out. (Kinda funny)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
One large difference in this movie was the absence of sweat. It seems like every scene in the original, everyone was sweating. I think the only ones that didn't sweat in the original were the female leads, Tom Skerrett, and Michael Ironside.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
Saw it last night! Excellent!!!

Did anyone else get a star wars trench run vibe? The exhaust port 3 metets?(expected to hear about womp rats then)....oh, and targeting computer shuts off, drops two proton torp...er, smart bombs on the money.

I loved it. Best movie in a while.

I’m 100% with you on that one.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
Saw it earlier tonight with the family, and it was pretty good, I thought. A couple of observations/questions for those more in the know than me……………I wouldn’t think they’d fly a mission like that without an electronic warfare aircraft, would they? And if you’re hitting the airfield with Tomahawks, why not target the SAM sites with Tomahawks as well?

Yes, any strike mission against a defended target would have accompanying electronic warfare aircraft, namely the EA-18G Growler using HARM missiles. Not having the Growler as apart of the mission package, I was mildly surprised but for plot and story simplicity not to mention adding another layer of explanation to the audience, I get leaving them out.
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
A few things I could have done without:

To me the brilliance of the original film was that you got the feeling that the pilots all knew each other; the scene in the bar introduced everyone and it felt very natural.

In the new film that scene felt super forced to me; having them literally walk in in small groups so their call signs could be announced took me out of it a bit; same with the initial Penny Benjamin scene; it just felt forced.

The initial bar scene at the I Bar (known as the Hard Deck in the movie) I agree is contrived and over-the-top; hitting the bar in khakis and overtly referring to each other by their call signs...groan. However, if that's the only clunky part of the movie, I'm ok with that.
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
One large difference in this movie was the absence of sweat. It seems like every scene in the original, everyone was sweating. I think the only ones that didn't sweat in the original were the female leads, Tom Skerrett, and Michael Ironside.

Tony.

Lighting and sweat is a signature of a Tony Scott film: Days of Thunder, True Romance, Domino, Crimson Tide, Man on Fire, etc all have a similar aesthetic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post