SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Jay Leno - such an interesting guy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jay Leno - such an interesting guy Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Watched this entire Joe Rogan interview from 2015.
Very interesting and professional with great stories.
Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I read some very interesting financial anecdotes about Jay Leno. He hardly carries a credit card, he always paid in cash. He spends very little on clothes. He never spent his Tonight Show money, he lived on his stand up earnings (the smaller of the two). He pays for his houses in cash, never goes the mortgage route, same with his cars.

He is a huge believer of living well below his means.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
And he's smart enough to keep his politics to himself.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
A few years ago, I read some very interesting financial anecdotes about Jay Leno. He hardly carries a credit card, he always paid in cash. He spends very little on clothes. He never spent his Tonight Show money, he lived on his stand up earnings (the smaller of the two). He pays for his houses in cash, never goes the mortgage route, same with his cars.

All those cars. All those highly collectable cars. Seems like I recall around 300 cars, in a climate-controlled building with a full time mechanic and care taker were paid for by doing stand-up?!?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Clearly you can make a small fortune in stand-up comedy. Even David Chapelle talks about this doing corporate gigs for big bucks.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

All those cars.
All those highly collectable cars.
Seems like I recall around 300 cars, in a climate-controlled building with a full time mechanic and care taker were paid for by doing stand-up?!?

To say everything is paid by "stand-up" is a highly myopic view, IMO.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Not to mention he willingly too a pay cut in order to keep parts of his crew on the Tonight Show from getting laid off.

On his Top Gear interview, he also says he gets to keep his money because he only has 1 wife…

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
To say everything is paid by "stand-up" is a highly myopic view, IMO.

quote:
From the moment he entered the working world, “I always had two incomes,” he explains to CNBC. “I’d bank one and I’d spend one.”

And he made sure to spend the smaller amount.

“When I was younger, I would always save the money I made working at the car dealership and I would spend the money I made as a comedian,” he says. ”When I started to get a bit famous, the money I was making as a comedian was way more than the money I was making at the car dealership, so I would bank that and spend the car dealership money."

Leno continued relying on this strategy even after he started hosting “The Tonight Show” in 1992, even though he reportedly earned as much as $30 million a year at the height of his career.

“When I got ‘The Tonight Show,’ I always made sure I did 150 [comedy show] gigs a year so I never had to touch the principal,” Leno says. “I’ve never touched a dime of my ‘Tonight Show’ money. Ever.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/1...ight-show-money.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Net Worth of $450 million, if online numbers are to be believed.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
...On his Top Gear interview, he also says he gets to keep his money because he only has 1 wife…

This is a superb strategy to financial peace if you can find a way to pull it off! haha!

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Leno's CNBC show is fine, he covers a lot of ground, sometimes with interesting-enough people.

Over the last couple years of covid, he couldn't produce those shows. So he went ahead on his own, one cameraperson?
He went into depth on one particular car for the whole show, his depth of knowledge on those vehicles and his love for them
made for Leno at his best IMO, understated and never boring. Look through his YouTubes, find a car you may have special thoughts about and I guarantee you'll
be entertained and learn a lot.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Leno's CNBC show is fine, he covers a lot of ground, sometimes with interesting-enough people.

Over the last couple years of covid, he couldn't produce those shows. So he went ahead on his own, one cameraperson?
He went into depth on one particular car for the whole show, his depth of knowledge on those vehicles and his love for them
made for Leno at his best IMO, understated and never boring. Look through his YouTubes, find a car you may have special thoughts about and I guarantee you'll
be entertained and learn a lot.

He's been doing Jay Leno's Garage long before CNBC. His youtube series has always been much better than the highly produced CNBC version. The youtube channel is all about the cars (or motorcycles, or tractors). You really sense his passion for the vehicles and his desire to share his knowledge and experiences. My favortive is when he has somebody on the show that he just flagged down on the road because he liked the car. His restoration vlog is also facinating with all the work he puts into keeping all his stuff in working order.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine graduated high school with him in Andover, MA. He was funny then, but also a nerdy, gearhead kid. She attended a reunion a few years that Jay showed up at. All the jocks, cheerleaders and other glad-handers who wouldn't give him the time of day in school were all over him. He was gracious, shook hands, signed autographs and posed for pictures. Then he went and sat with the people who had been his real friends (including my friend) and ignored the phonies the rest of the night.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forget warren buffet, I am going to Jay for financial advice when I hit the mega millions lottery.

I really hope He's getting $750,000. per episode of this you bet your life business

its pretty unwatchable

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have met him briefly twice, once before a local stand up show and once walking across the grass at the Pebble Beach show. By himself both times, no entourage.Totally unaffected, down to earth guy, who loves cars and is lucky enough to be able to afford some nice ones.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
He is funny…I will never take that away, but having grown up watching Johnny, Dave, and then Conan, I will always consider Leno the villain in the Late-night Wars; especially the way he did Conan.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One reason he guest hosted all those years for Carson is he agreed to take scale. And didn’t demand a ton. He swears he didn’t have an agent and negotiated his own deals. Scale was like $500 a night. He just knew that eventually he’d get his break and the big money would follow. Other guest hosts wanted like 10-20k a night and NBC was like well Jay is just as good for next to nothing.

Friends of my folks had a concours quality collector car and casually knew him that way. Super down to earth guy. I do like when he geeks out on the YouTube channel and goes off extemporaneously about some obscure long out of business car company.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
He is funny…I will never take that away, but having grown up watching Johnny, Dave, and then Conan, I will always consider Leno the villain in the Late-night Wars; especially the way he did Conan.

He didn’t do Conan wrong. The tonight show’s ratings dropped by approximately a third when Conan took over. In fact, NBC begged Leno to take the tonight show back over sooner, but Leno told them to give Conan more time. They did what Leno recommended. His ratings were still terrible and then Jay took the show back over.

Conan likes to play the victim, but the fact is his ratings stunk.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conan is like some of the other people on TV - he THINKS he is funny. Others don't.

The current late-night hosts (especially former SNL people) are in that same category.

Jay Leno is ACTUALLY funny. He is also very smart in business.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I read, a good 25 or more years ago, an article in TV Guide about Hollywood people with the best reputations for being nice to work with or for. Leno was at the top of the list. Others cited included, but weren't limited to, Angela Lansbury, Jane Seymour and Heather Locklear. Now if only I could remember where I put something a minute ago.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post