SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Breaker Morant - who murdered the missionary?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaker Morant - who murdered the missionary? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
In real life, it was Morant and/or Handcock, if I understand correctly. The film, though, does not make this clear. I imagine the film makers would have had quite a time trying to justify that killing, so, they leave it open to interpretation.

Was it the nervous soldier who testified at the court martial?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I watched a relatively "recent" documentary not too long ago, they seemed to pin it on Handcock, under direction of Morant. I would imagine in real life and the movie, they'd all be pretty nervous, they'd probably been doing a lot of things for a while that they were suddenly, potentially on the hook for.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Handcock apparently confessed to the murder to a friend, Witton, after his aquittal.

However, there still seems some dispute over the veracity of Witton's account.

Witton's Letter

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can't say I've looked closely at this case, but if the evidence is to be believed, they're not the martyrs they've been made out to be. Beresford's film, though, is quite good.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Morant struck me as a ends justify the means type, as evidenced by his ‘Rule.303’ statement; “We were fighting the Boer the way he fought us!” I personally feel that Handcock did the actual killing, Morant knew of it, at the very least, if he didn’t actually tell Handcock to carry out the act.

I agree that it’s a very good movie, one of my favorites.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on what I read of the various shootings, both Morant and Handcock were equally guilty. Hard to say who actually pulled the triggers.
An outcome of the trial is that Australia then disallowed any of its troops to be tried criminally by the British.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
...However, there still seems some dispute over the veracity of Witton's account

Over a century later, there are still unanswered questions due to vagaries. Plus, look at the state of jurisprudence and forensics of the era. What passed for testimony and evidence then would be laughed out of court half a century later.

Which is exactly why Bereford's film is so compelling, how do we know or is it even possible to be certain. It sort of reminds me of "Tom Horn" in that sense. Sure, they did other despicable things, but did they do the particular despicable thing they were accused of?

Maybe that is the point of such cases. It's sort of like the theory that when the refs blow a call in the 1st half of football game against one team and they make a second bad call to make-up or erase the advantage for the first bad call. Were they scapegoated by the British Empire to make up for prosecution of the war?

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this. Going to have to check it out. Will put the movie on my watch list.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnutty:
Never heard of this. Going to have to check it out. Will put the movie on my watch list.

Make sure you have the time to not be interrupted. Fantastic movie!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Breaker Morant

Found this https://www.nma.gov.au/definin...aker-morant-executed
Which basically said it was a common practice in the day for both sides with prisoners.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I read up on this last night, prior to watching it this morning.

The movie certainly gives a different feel than reading in black and white.

I remember when I thought Col. Jessep from A Few Good Men was the bad guy. Not sure at what point in my life my opinion changed, but I’ve got a similar feeling here.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As has been stated in another thread (David v Goliath), the standing army has to be much more ruthless when fighting an asymmetrical warfare enemy.

The Brits basically did total warfare against the Boers, by destroying everything that was useful to the Boers (scorched earth). But probably the biggest factor was rounding up civilians (women and children) into what are now known as concentration camps. The death rate in those camps was very high. That put the Boers at a tremendous disadvantage as they no longer had supporters in the countryside that they could rely on.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
this is streaming on kanopy, library service.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, Para.
I loved that movie.
Wasn't Morant as portrayed by Edward Woodward the man each of us would want to be?

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post